Which hiking boots?

Soldato
Looking for some new hiking boots ready for when I go back up ben nevis in march for charity

Anyone on here into mountain climbing/hiking?

What boots you favour?

Cant decide between

berghaus
north face
scarpa
salomon
mammut

Soldato
My current pair are karrimor bodmin mid mkIII's, ridiculously cheap and yet seem really good. Ive put a couple of hundred miles on them and they look new and are still comfy.

Associate
i would never advise a brand when it comes to this kind of thing. The best thing to do is just go somewhere and find something that fit your feet perfectly! Seen too many people damaging themselves due to ill fitting footwear (i live in the lakes)

Soldato
My current pair are karrimor bodmin mid mkIII's, ridiculously cheap and yet seem really good. Ive put a couple of hundred miles on them and they look new and are still comfy.

They're the very boots I have for walking my mutt in the local woods, very comfy and only about £30, still going strong after 10 months of daily abuse.

gEd

gEd

Associate
I have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX Boot which cost ~ £150.
Lightweight, totally waterproof and I find then very stable and comfortable.

My sons love their Berghaus Men's Explorer Ridge GTX Walking Boots and have done quite a few miles and DoE hikes in them without incident.

Soldato
As others have said, comfort and fit is #1 when it comes to boots. Forget online research - just get to a shop with knowledgeable staff and try and a bunch on.

Having said that, I can vouch for TNF boots. Mine hiked all over the world in every condition you can think of and they were great. Unfortunately, I recently left them within reach of the dog. Turns out they're no match for a 60lb lab :(

Associate
What Glaucus said - a pair that fits you properly! Bear in mind the upper mountain will be still in the depths of winter, you'll need a decent pair (at least B1-rated). Crampons and an ice axe would also be in my rucksack for an ascent of the Ben at that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom