Doctor Who

Soldato
It seems to be going against the majority grain, but I have really enjoyed all of the latest series of Dr Who; it is a welcome return of the 1hr escapism that disappeared a bit in recent series.

As much as I enjoyed the complexity and depth of the latter Matt Smith series, I felt it all became a bit self-obsessed with its own history opposed to providing an singular episode of enjoyable Saturday night 'switch off'.

I agree with the above comments about Clara's downfall - "the impossible girl" has been reduced to "the token assistant". As she's incredibly gorgeous, I hope they keep her on screen for a long time yet :p

Twitter was awash with calls for Frank Skinner to take over as companion - in my opinion, not as easy on the eye ;)

Soldato
Tbh I never particularly enjoyed watching the previous series since they brought it back.

But I really do enjoy watching this current series - I think Capaldi's take on the character is very interesting and by far my favourite.

I was disappointed that the sidekick wasn't going to be changed in the last episode:
I was hoping that she would leave and that engineer chap would be the replacement, but no... :(

I find her character incredibly irritating and the only thing that kind of doesn't help the show.

Soldato
Whilst not hitting the heights this is a massive improvement over the previous week. I prefer the little brainteaser episodes where the Doctor parks himself in someone else's little problem. I find the whole Godlike Doctor saving the universe very tiresome.
I like Clara but think it would have been more poignant if she had truly sacrificed herself for the Doctor.

OcUK Staff
I think they're going with him being a cross between the Bakers. Annoying, arrogant and unpleasant like Colin Baker was to start with (although apparently he was goign to have more character development, but didn't have time for that to happen), combined with eccentric and arrogant, but with charm, like Tom Baker could be. Oh, and the jelly babies of Tom Baker too.

Soldato
Really enjoyed this episode and really enjoyed the Impossible Girl story - no idea what has happened to that as Clara is just becoming annoying 'im going, i'm staying'. It isn't endearing, everytime she comes on the screen and start about this, she sounds like a whiney teenager :(

But......when she is enjoying the adventure, she is beautiful and works well with Capaldi.

One big issue for me is that when Capaldi gets excited he speaks very fast and we all are having difficulty following/understanding him :(

(luvved the jelly babies!)

Caporegime
Capaldi is very good. He 'is' Doctor Who now. Which is impressive and he did it fast. He's a bit of a dick too which is even better.

I always sigh a little when i see "space trains" and people dressed in 1920s clothes 200000 zillion years into he future.

The episode turned out good, i liked the final scene on the beach. I would like to see a few episodes where they push the VFX budget into something and come up with a whole city or 'Library' type place again.

it bugs me that of all History they nearly always chose to go to 'Britain' in the last 2000 years :O

Soldato
That's so true, Capaldi has grasped us immediately and is the answer to what we all wanted.

As far as exploration goes, compare this to Matt Smiths first season where they barely left modern day Earth after coming from the Tennant era with the likes of the impossible planet and the library and Madame De Pompadour.

I'm happy that we're at least getting away from modern day earth and having fun with the limitless possibilities.

Last edited:
Soldato
Enjoyed tonights episode.

I had a feeling it would be a good one, it actually made me laugh a few times seeing the diddly little tardis and capaldi's mug poking out lol! brilliant :D

The story was good, no cringeworthy bits! Had a little laugh at guy who played an ambulance paramedic before appearing in doc who. seeing as my lass watches Casualty it seemed as if he just walked out of A&E straight into an adventure involving flat baddies living in a 2d world.

All in all I was impressed! Possibly one of those episodes in the series run that stands out as the best?

PLEASE keep it up, I hate it when things go downhill...

Now the final scenes! That strange women with an ipad. I assume everyone noticed the Door and Window behind her? both shaped like an Cybermans Eye... does this mean another Cyberman finale?

Surely it is time for another big baddie to end the show with instead of the same old all the time?

Soldato
any one else notice the cheeky A113 on the first train. really enjoyed this episode, made me chuckle in places. good mix of story design etc. very much enjoyed the animation for people and chairs disappearing and the moving people. was good. also when he uses it hand out the tardis, cheeky smile at this end

Soldato
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!
KIDS IN THE TARDIS !!! (or at least it seems)
Why :(:(:(
I've immediately set my expectations for next week's episode to 0.

On the other hand, this weeks was a lovely standalone monster romp.
Kinda creepy, a sprinkling of humour, maybe a cheesy way to 'beat' them, but that's just nitpicking.
Did anyone clearly hear what he called the monsters tho? That is what he shouted isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom