Going for full bike licence but..

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Back when I was 17 you just took your test and then bought whatever you liked. I went from a Yamaha SR125 (I bought just to do the test) to a Yamaha RD350LC.

Friend of mine did that back in the 80's, cept he got a YPVS, it killed him 5 weeks later when he took a corner far too fast & hit a car head on, I really can see why they had to tighten things up because the licensing back then was laughable.

Soldato
I think todays test is ridiculous as it is tbh far too much faff

99% of car/lorry/bus drivers simply don't care about you

aslong as your sensible and keep your witts about you you'll be fine

Having just done mod 1 an mod 2 I can see why they have done it. And tbh with a good instructor neither were hard. I do have a few years under my belt on bikes though

Soldato
I think todays test is ridiculous as it is tbh far too much faff

99% of car/lorry/bus drivers simply don't care about you

aslong as your sensible and keep your witts about you you'll be fine

True.
Being on a bike is always expecting OTHER drivers to not see/pay attention and just being very defensive with yourself. Its quite literally your life is in your hands as other road users just don't care.

Associate
OP
Hey guys, so I had another lesson for my Module 1 test today, got to practice in a proper test centre today and it was a lot of fun. I have one question though, during the manual handling section, moving the bike from one bay to another, I've always found moving the bike a lot easier with both hands on the handlebars but this isn't how you're instructed to do it. Tried it with one hand on the piillion grab rail today and I kinda struggled.. took me a lot longer but got there eventually... it's quite a stretch for my arms... Anyway, I'm wondering if it's okay to do it the way I prefer to or will that be a fail?

Soldato
Moving a bike around is part of the test now? Jees.
I always move bikes with one hand on the bars and the other on the pillion rail or seat strap.

Yep, very first bit of the mod 1 after you ride into the test area. Ride into a box, wheel bike out and reverse it into another box. Fairly simple tbh.

Soldato
Its annoying I have to redo Mod1 & 2 next year to upgrade from A2 to A. I wouldn't mind a day of training like a CBT only on a 600cc rather than having to pay £200+ on the tests I've already passed on a bike that's slightly less powerful than the one I would do it on next time.:mad:

Soldato
dont you have to wait two years now then you can ride any size machine?

they have swapped n changed it that many times im lost now

(I took my test on a 125,waited two years then went to a 600cc)

Nope, those days are gone for good. Full A licence means doing the test on a 600, even if you've passed A1 and A2, you have to do the tests again. I think you can do full A 2 years after doing the A2 instead of waiting until you're 24 but you don't get the automatic upgrade (restriction lifted).

Caporegime
well I agree that is stupid

but I see why they have done it,so they can get you to shell out twice on test fees

im glad I did mine when I did,it was far less hassle,advice to anyone today would be to do it asap before they bring out more hurdles

One

One

Soldato
Fortunately I was 24 so just went straight from 0cc to unlimited cc lol

Although that's exactly what my instructors said wazza, do your test as quickly as you can, it's nearly been a year since the changes so they're liable to make more :p

Soldato
There are more changes coming in end of 2018, the main one being to the minimum power and weight for the A licence:

This amending Directive raises the minimum standard from 40kw to 50kw and introduces a minimum mass weight requirement of 180kg. The European Commission argues that this is to provide for a test on a machine that is much more representative of its class and to introduce a more definite difference between a category A2 motorcycle and a category A motorcycle. The UK was not convinced by this argument and argued against this change during negotiations. Only the Netherlands supported our view. The Commission with a majority of Member States supporting it chose to introduce the change from July 2013. The UK was however, successful in getting the change delayed until 31 December 2018. Therefore, the DSA will not introduce this change before 31 December 2018. This should allow training companies to get at least 5 years use out of existing bikes and will lessen the impact on business, as bikes can be upgraded when trainers decide to replace them through wear and tear.

from 53bhp (current) to 67bhp which will rule out a load of bikes (NC750 for one) and 180KG minimum weight.

Oh and as you can read in the text above, it's all because of the ****ing EU.

The UK was not convinced by this argument and argued against this change during negotiations. Only the Netherlands supported our view. The Commission with a majority of Member States supporting it chose to introduce the change from July 2013. The UK was however, successful in getting the change delayed until 31 December 2018.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/motorcycle-lorry-and-bus-driving-licences-and-driving-test-rules/further-european-changes-to-driving-licences-and-driving-test-requirements#change-2-motorcycle-changes-1

Associate
There are more changes coming in end of 2018, the main one being to the minimum power and weight for the A licence:
from 53bhp (current) to 67bhp which will rule out a load of bikes (NC750 for one) and 180KG minimum weight.
That's crazy, my Versys is only ~60bhp but would be more than enough bike for any learner. Guess the EU is saying I'm not man enough for my A license :D They do seem to have a real sad-on for bikes, thankfully it looks like there was a rare instance of common sense in government and they gave the schools some breathing space...

One

One

Soldato
It does make a bit off sense. The a2 license is pretty pointless at the moment, I would rather they have abolished a2 than simple make the next tier further away.

Back
Top Bottom