Changing water main, have Lead atm

Soldato
How should the pipe enter/exit the property?

I want to put in provisions for running water to my garage when we landscape the garden next year. Currently the house is completely gutted so now is the time to pipe up to the external wall at least.

We're also having the front garden turned in to a drive so could be worth considering replacing the water main, I've yet to inspect it.

Soldato
How should the pipe enter/exit the property?

I want to put in provisions for running water to my garage when we landscape the garden next year. Currently the house is completely gutted so now is the time to pipe up to the external wall at least.

We're also having the front garden turned in to a drive so could be worth considering replacing the water main, I've yet to inspect it.

Water pipes should be 700mm below cover.

Soldato
So in the event of there being foundations that preclude this?

Should be ducted through or under any obstructions. I was slightly out, minimum is 750mm from cover. Water Supply (water fittings) regulations, plumbers/contractors that fail to follow the regs could lose their accreditation.

Man of Honour
OP
Should be ducted through or under any obstructions. I was slightly out, minimum is 750mm from cover. Water Supply (water fittings) regulations, plumbers/contractors that fail to follow the regs could lose their accreditation.

Should I report him? If so who to?

Is the pipe likely to freeze in winter? He assured me it wouldn't

Associate
Its a minimum of 750 as Windle stated.
From the photos it looks like he has connected to the lead at your boundary.
I presume the water company haven't been involved as they would have replaced the lead upto your boundary.
They would also have inspected the trench for the correct depth and method of entry to the property unless you have used an approved plumber who would have given you a certificate to forward to the water company.
The riser into the property should be in an insulated duct and there should be a drain off point immediately after the stopcock.
From your photo the depth where it enters the house is only around 150mm ( 2 bricks ) so to answer your question it is quite likely to freeze.
Page 30 of this pdf shows how it should be done.
http://www.unitedutilities.com/documents/DesignManualIssueMay2012.pdf

Man of Honour
OP
He did connect to the lead in the path and left a a hole the water board have been and taken out the final bit of lead in the highway - they did this for free, before he started a surveyor from Yorkshire water came out but they said they didn't need to inspect the work

Soldato
Should I report him? If so who to?

Is the pipe likely to freeze in winter? He assured me it wouldn't

Anything under 750mm is a frost risk.

Under the regs: "(2) No water fitting shall be installed, connected, arranged or used in such a manner that it causes or is likely to cause–
(i)waste, misuse, undue consumption or contamination of water supplied by a water undertaker;"

If the pipe freezes, you can expect a leak at some point therefore causing "waste".

Does the guy who did the work run a business or is he a local "handyman" type? Who you report him to depends on whether he is a member of any associations such as the Association of Plumbing & Heating Contractors or similar.

In this instance, contact your local water company for advice.

Man of Honour
OP
Anything under 750mm is a frost risk.

Under the regs: "(2) No water fitting shall be installed, connected, arranged or used in such a manner that it causes or is likely to cause–
(i)waste, misuse, undue consumption or contamination of water supplied by a water undertaker;"

If the pipe freezes, you can expect a leak at some point therefore causing "waste".

Does the guy who did the work run a business or is he a local "handyman" type? Who you report him to depends on whether he is a member of any associations such as the Association of Plumbing & Heating Contractors or similar.

In this instance, contact your local water company for advice.

This is the guy http://www.perfectpressureltd.com

Soldato

Guy should know better as a WRAS Approved Plumber.

Have you phoned the plumbing company to say you aren't happy about the depth they laid the pipe at the building entry? The guy on site has pulled a fast one to save time/money, the regs are clear on what depth of cover is required regardless of obstructions. I'd be on the blower saying I want it redone at the point of entry to ensure adequate depth cover, if they refuse then give WRAS a call for advice on next steps https://www.wras.co.uk/contacts/

Man of Honour
OP
Hi I did complain about the depth, he said the foundations are very swallow and the floor is concrete, This is true, he said even though its not 750 it will not freeze

I payed him cash in hand, however I do have cctv and photo evidence of him doing the job if it does freeze in winter

Associate
Guy should know better as a WRAS Approved Plumber.

I'm not so sure they are.
The logo is just a link to the WRAS website.
I couldn't see anywhere on the website a WIAPS registration number and a search for the company name on the WRAS website returned no results.

Whats also puzzling me is why the water company were not interested in having a look.
If you look at the pdf I posted earlier your guy should have used one continuous length that was long enough for the water company to connect to their main.

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the water company a private company ? why would they be interested ?

I was thinking building control but they may only be interested in telling you how its been done..

Is it just a civil matter if the tradesman isn't part of any trade-body..

Soldato
Because they have a duty in law for the supply network.

Only up to the property boundary, past that is the homeowner responsibility.

Also these subscription trade bodies are worthless. Years ago my mother had a builder in who did a bodge job who was a member of the FMB. They just turned around and said it was a civil matter.

Back
Top Bottom