If you could choose your child's gender, would you?

Soldato
OP
Just to clarify, as most people here seem to be unsure what gender selection is, but the current methods used don't involve interfering with genes or even touching the embryos at all. They simply fertilise a handful of eggs and only replace those that are of the wanted sex (which have developed naturally).

It's also completely legal in the UK for medical reasons, for example where a genetic defect is more prominent in one sex or the other.

Those giving their reason as it being completely unnatural etc, do you also disagree with IVF as a whole?

Permabanned
Well if they had nothing but boys they would die off, win win. Let them have it.

Many Eastern cultures still practice infanticide. China, India and Pakistan being the ones you hear most about. Mostly they kill off the females.

India

India has been ranked the most dangerous place to be born a girl according to UN figures.[114] The practice has continued in some rural areas of India.[115][116] Infanticide is illegal in India.[117]

According to a recent report by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) up to 50 million girls and women are missing in India's population as a result of systematic sex discrimination and sex selective abortions.[118]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infanticide#Modern_times

Last edited:
Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;27048808 said:
We intentionally asked not to be told the sex of either of our children in advance so it could be a beautiful surprise either way.

I knew my wife did not. My wife said she knew it was a boy though because she could see the disappointment on my face at the time when I read the piece of paper.

Associate
No, I wouldn't choose.

Although I can understand why a person would choose after having say 3 boys or 3 girls, I don't see why it is so important for your first or second.

Soldato
We both thought our first was going to be a boy, couldn't tell on the scan.

Very shocked when it came out a girl, I wouldn't change it for the world, she's the best thing I've ever done.

Had the scan for the second one last Friday and we're having a boy, wouldn't have minded another girl tbh but i'd never change it.

Conceiving, despite being incredible easy for some is a little miracle when you think of the odds against the sperm that makes it, timing, then the issues that can happen during pregnancy. Think I would just trust nature to let the best one get through :p

Caporegime
Conceiving, despite being incredible easy for some is a little miracle when you think of the odds against the sperm that makes it, timing, then the issues that can happen during pregnancy. Think I would just trust nature to let the best one get through :p

it's a million to one chance that it makes it! fortunately we sent 250 million of the buggers!

Soldato
Yes, one of each, girl second. The amount of people you see with 4 boys and then the youngest girl is quite funny, they keep going till they get one! Brother slightly older so he can look out for the girl.

Soldato
£5,000?

No I'd just pick one and dispose of the baby for free if it wasn't the gender I wanted.

Maybe if it was £20 and I actually wanted kids, purely because you don't need to worry about boys - they look after themselves.

Back
Top Bottom