Aftermarket Radios that don't look stupid?

Associate
Hi guys,

Just bought my first car, a modest VW Polo 55 reg.

Has the original rcd200 radio in it... I want to buy a new radio to fit the full double din slot, to add Bluetooth, aux and USB functionality. All of the units I've seen look stupid though! Flashing lights, shiny chrome knobs etc etc..

Is there anywhere you can buy an aftermarket radio that will actually look like it's at home in the dashboard? One that doesn't look like a kids toy?

Thanks.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
It is annoying almost all aftermarket stereos still seem think everyone who buys one is going for a part in Tokyo drift... And generally the only ones that look OEM are terrible terrible android/windows based devices which are just not up to the job.

Soldato
It is annoying almost all aftermarket stereos still seem think everyone who buys one is going for a part in Tokyo drift... And generally the only ones that look OEM are terrible terrible android/windows based devices which are just not up to the job.

I've always believed that unless you can afford £200+ for a nice touch-screen double-DIN unit then it's probably better to just get a higher-end single-DIN unit, for example an Alpine IDE-178BT.

Cheap double-DIN units just seem to use the extra space for an extra-large crappy segment display, for reasons unbeknown to me.

Soldato
Ive just bought and installed a Pioneer AVH 5600BT, it has a nice clean look to it with a lot of function

I connected it to my spare samsung s3 (that just lives in the glovebox) via the optional Mirrorlink box, and have a cracked drivelink app on the s3, meaning that Ive full access to all the android apps, instead of just the Google maps that drivelink intended. Very usefull for apps like tomtom etc that wasnt intended.

Don
Ive just bought and installed a Pioneer AVH 5600BT, it has a nice clean look to it with a lot of function

I connected it to my spare samsung s3 (that just lives in the glovebox) via the optional Mirrorlink box, and have a cracked drivelink app on the s3, meaning that Ive full access to all the android apps, instead of just the Google maps that drivelink intended. Very usefull for apps like tomtom etc that wasnt intended.

Looks nice but wow it isn't cheap! Mixed reviews for it too

Soldato
Yeah I've read the mixed reviews before I bought it, my last few headunits have been Pioneer, so I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm very pleased with it. The mirror link box works perfectly, but most of the reviews on it basically state it's a doorstop and doesn't work at all. But it works great for me and I'm very happy with it all

Associate
OP
I think most of the decent touchscreen ones are out of my budget really... Why is there not a simple Bluetooth USB and Aux double din with just a decent sized dot-lcd display?!

I think the best I've found that looks the least crap is this alpine CDE-W235BT

Soldato
I bought that one just over a year ago and although I don't use the vehicle day in day out I'm quite happy with it. Connects quickly to phone bluetooth and streams well enough (can't comment on streaming quality since the speakers in the van are definitely the weak point), generally starts playing from my phone as soon as I turn the engine on. Can pause/change track from the headunit.
Doesn't display track names but that's not a big deal for me.
I fitted it to a 2008 VW Transporter and I think I needed this since I found it in my order history but can't remember the details, just know the thing was a PITA to fit due to VW's canbus system.

Not sure if it's such a pain to fit for an '05 Polo.

Associate
OP
I fitted it to a 2008 VW Transporter and I think I needed this since I found it in my order history but can't remember the details, just know the thing was a PITA to fit due to VW's canbus system.

Not sure if it's such a pain to fit for an '05 Polo.

I don't think I'll need that adaptor as I don't have any steering wheel control buttons haha

As for the fitting, I'll probably go and get it done at a workshop... I can't see myself doing a proper job, with microphone and all needing to be installed somewhere :p

Soldato
It's actually dead easy to run a mic - all you do is tuck the wire in behind the trim and tape it at a few places to keep it from moving about. Don't usually have to remove anything more than the glovebox (even that's worst case)

Back
Top Bottom