looking for a special 30th meal

Soldato
Hello all,

I'm after some suggestions for a meal for my 30th in April next year to make it a truly special occasion, I’m not one for birthday parties or crowds so I’m looking for a top quality meal for the wife and i.

Currently we are looking at the waterside inn and the possibility of doing the signature experience deluxe, but at a cost of £970 for the 2 of us it’s a big decision as that’s 2 months’ worth of food spent in 1 night over 3 meals and a room.

i have always wanted to do the fat duck but as its relocating to Australia for 6 months in February that’s not a possibility, Dinner by Heston is a possibility but i would prefer a chefs menu instead of al a carte as i have always found them to be the best way for the chef to show his top options.

I know it’s a long time away but i would like to book something so i don’t miss out.

As a note whatever we do will be limited to 2-3 days max as i plan to go away the 2-3 days before my 30th but spend the actual day at home with my daughters.

So has anyone been anywhere and had a truly excellent meal that they would recommend for a special occasion?

Soldato
I've had many exceptional meals at some superb restaurants, and The Waterside Inn was one of them. I took my wife there for her birthday weekend a few years ago, and we stayed in one of their cottages on the river which was beautiful. The tasting menu was superb, and the service was about the best we've ever had - simply faultless. At the end of the evening whilst relaxing in the bar area, Diego, the General manager, bought us a couple of glasses of champagne and some birthday treats for us. He then spent 20 minutes with us chatting about the restaurant and the Roux brothers, and how these things have changed over the last 30 years.

The best of the rest for me are:
The Ledbury
The Square
Le Gavroche
Whatley Manor (a lovely place to stay too)

There are plenty of other great restaurants, but these are my top 5.

Associate
We did Ramsey's in Chelsea for Mrs S's 40th 2 years ago and was the best meal that I have ever had.

Food was spectacularr as was the wine, but the whole experience was unbelievable. The service was second to none and there were stacks of people buzzing around the tables but you never noticed them.

Best bit was that when I had to nip to the facilities, they pointed tthem out without me having to ask and the Matre'd came over to the table and was chatting to Mrs S until he saw me coming back and then he magically disappeared...faultless.

Also got to see in to the kitchens after the meal and saw Clare Smyth on the pass...Mrs S very happy indeed.

That said, have always wanted to go to Gidleigh Park.....some great food and the great Devon outdoors...sadly it is only a 2 star place :p

Soldato
Yes, Hospital Road is supposed to be fantastic. I'm saving that for my father-in-laws 60th birthday in a years time.
Thought it would be worth adding Le Manoir - We've stayed there and had the fantastic tasting menu. It is a beautiful place.
Also L'Enclume - Not been but by all accounts it's fantastic. You can also stay there, and I know that the Lake District is a stunning part of the country.

Soldato
Personally I'd go somewhere lower down the foody chain and make a weekend of it for the same money, I can recommend the Drunken Duck Inn and the Punch Bowl Inn (personal favourite) highly enough great food and fantastic accommodation meaning you get to enjoy more time with the wife and still have some money left!

Soldato
Hmm the Mrs' 40th is coming up.. so I'm thinking of an activity weekend.. perhaps going for the cookery course at Ramond Blanc's or at Hugh Fernely-whittingstall's place..

Associate
I looked into quite a few restaurants for my 30th last year (Nov 13). A lot depends on what style of restaurant/experience you prefer. For me, by far the best restaurant experience I've had was Le Gavroche - truly exceptional. Unfortunately, over my birthday weekend they had a function on which meant that we couldn't book a table. After much research, we booked at The Connaught - 10 course tasting menu - which was fantastic (although doesn't top Le Gavroche in terms of overall experience - but was very close). As I say, it does depend on your tastes - we wanted classical French with a contemporary finish, with quite traditional/formal interior and style of service. I've been to other Michelin starred restaurants before which either don't deliver on the standard of food or location (Alimentum, Cambridge), or the atmosphere/style is just too 'trendy' for my taste (The Square).

As for accommodation - we stayed at the The Chesterfield for the weekend, which was walking distance to The Connaught. At the time they also had an offer on which included afternoon tea in a weekend package. The hotel was great, and the afternoon tea was fantastic (I think it is rated as one of the top 10 places in London for afternoon tea and so is well worth a visit) - I would definitely recommend it.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies guys, I'm still very tempted with the waterside inn but we were hoping for a couple of nights and I love breaks in London so were looking London wide for now.

Currently i think restaurant Gordon Ramsay and le gavroche are the top 2 as both seem to pop up a lot in the top lists.

Still just looking around it just makes me want to try many more out too.

Soldato
Cheers for the replies guys, I'm still very tempted with the waterside inn but we were hoping for a couple of nights and I love breaks in London so were looking London wide for now.

Currently i think restaurant Gordon Ramsay and le gavroche are the top 2 as both seem to pop up a lot in the top lists.

Still just looking around it just makes me want to try many more out too.

Don't dismiss The Ledbury. It may not be as French as Le Gavroche, but the food is 2nd to none (well maybe Hospital Road) in London. It was voted 10th best restaurant in the world at the start of the year, and Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, in 5th place, was the only other UK restaurant above it in the list.

Don
Best bit was that when I had to nip to the facilities, they pointed tthem out without me having to ask and the Matre'd came over to the table and was chatting to Mrs S until he saw me coming back and then he magically disappeared...faultless.

my brother goes to Ramsay's Hospital road quite often and when anyone else goes he always sets them a challenge, to get up and get to the toilet before a member of staff manages to beat you there and open the door for you :p

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I was going to Suggest L'enclume as well

the packages are pretty good Value with 2 nights stay, a meal in the michelin starred restaurant then the second nights meal in his other less posh place in the same village..for about 5-600 quid for a couple, which given it includes the accomodation isnt too bad

Soldato
Another vote for L'Enclume. Six of us went for my misses birthday in July - absolutely top notch from start to end. If you want to be sorted in advance, I had it booked last November, so no messing around ringing the day tables are released.

We considered the L'Enclume package but opted for the Uplands Hotel which is just outside Cartmel. Got a taxi to/from L'Enclume - allow at least 3 hours, if not 4 before being picked up. We had an evening meal at Uploads the food was very good.

Cartmel is a lovely little village as a base for a few days away. If the sun is out, then Unsworths Yard is fab little spot. Fresh bread from the bakery, a selection of cheese from Cartmel Cheeses and then a pint direct from the brewery (or Hotwines does wine / cocktails).

If it's autumn / winter, the Cavendish Arms is very cosy with open fires - they also have rooms.

Soldato
OP
made the decision and booked restaurant Gordon Ramsay for the Thursday night, hoping to do something the Friday night and then home late Saturday to spend the birthday with the family.

thanks for the advice guys, we may look into one of the others for Lunch on the Friday/Saturday as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom