Internet nostalgia

Soldato
Haha I used to go on Trouble TV chat. Think I met my first online gf there :p

Funny enough, so did I...lol. That was back in 2001 when I was 16/17, meet her 6 months after. What I saw from her pics is what I got :) Lovely slim blonde girl. Over 10 years ago, wouldn't do it now though. Run the risk of being Catfished...lol.

V F

V F

Soldato
Ahhh the late 90s <3 First time on the internet for me was 1998 at a friend's house. Got my own PC in 1999, wired up to a T1 connection in uni halls. It was all about Netscape, Hampsterdance, manga fanart sites, crappy Geocities/Angelfire sites, ASCII art, Sega Megadrive emulation and of course newsgroups :)

Got back home to my parents in the summer of '99, out in the sticks. Went on dial-up 56gay for the first time. God I hated it!

Thankfully, NTL was just around the corner and data-rich sites like Youtube and Flash animations plus online gaming. The only thing I don't like about the internet these days is how social media seemed to have taken over everything. I'm still very much a forums person.

Don't forget nearly everything more so the news is Twitter TV. :/

You purchase something and you want to share it on social media, why?

V F

V F

Soldato
Heh, RageQuit©. The Napster days when you entered a chat room.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Man of Honour
Net access at home for the first time, with a 9600 dialup modem, reminded me of loading games on my ZX Spectrum. Nostalgia squared! :) The massive upgrade to a 28.8 modem. MUDs (I started with AberMUD).

Being able to babble at more people about how staggeringly spectacular a 3D graphics card was. That is far and away the upgrade that most sticks in my mind. Comparing mid-90s software rendering with a Voodoo card was like comparing finding £1 on the pavement and winning the lottery.

Cut off every 2 hours, sometimes more often, and never being sure you'd be able to reconnect. Hmm...no, I'm not nostalgic about that.

V F

V F

Soldato
Was anyone still on 56k/ISDN in 2002/3/early 4? I remember hearing all the horrid stories about BT Openworld 2000/01/02 how flaky and unreliable it was.

Soldato
Used to use my uncles internet as he had a modem, and used some 0800 number to get free internet, nor a normal ISP.

Then when Freeserve came around I convinced my parents to get a modem for our PC which was awesome.
Then a little while later convincing it was worth while getting an ISDN line installed as the parents were sick and tired of the line ALWAYS being engaged with dial up.

Always using things like Download Accelerator Plus to manage downloads and get by the 2 hour cut off, or the parents picking up the phone and losing connectivity.

Many many other things!

Man of Honour
Haha that reminds me of getting cut off from a Q2 CTF league match when my wife picked up the downstairs phone. Noooooooo!

Back
Top Bottom