Expensive mistakes you've made because of stupidity

Soldato
I bought a PS4 this weekend with a load of games, think I've spent 10 minutes playing on it, still no idea why I bought it, but then I needed something to keep the XBoxOne comfy as that's only had 5 mins of game time.

Oh I do love this as it is something I would do. Though I do try and restrain myself these days.

Soldato
I was doing a house a couple of years ago, I'd done the downstairs and I was just doing the bathroom at this time.

I was replacing the floorboards with MR green board, cutting it up with a circular saw. I was too lazy to adjust the blade depth.

Anyway I managed to cut through not one but two water pipes, by the time I'd turned it all off at the stopcock it'd absolutely ruined the kitchen ceiling, which I'd probably finished skimming and painting about two week previous.

That one always sticks in my mind, when you're spending your evenings and weekends doing stuff like that it's like getting a good old beating.

Soldato
I bought a VPS about 2 years ago at £19.99 a month. I had plans for it which never came to fruition. I am still paying for it now... not sure why. I'll get rid of it some day, probably when I reach the £1k mark. Its too much effort otherwise.

Soldato
I had a mare putting a new iphone screen on for my mum. I took everything apart unscrewed all the stupidly small and tight screws, disconnected all the ribbon cables, fitted the new screen and put it all back together again as i was putting the screen back into the casing i managed to put a bit too hard at the top and crack the screen worse than it was before i took it apart. I spent hours getting all the fiddly crap out, i felt like someone had died in front of me. Not that expensive, only 20 quid for a new screen, just a real pain in the arse.

Last edited:
Associate
My first car a Peugeot 106 18k on the clock back in 2006 had it for 3 year. Over in that time the coil park went, exhaust pipe fell off on the A27, countless times of tyre punctures (had low profile on), someone nicked my stereo and speakers :(, again someone hit my nearside door when parked.

Associate
Took a break from gaming for ~1.5 years for studies. Built a £1,500 PC. Gamed for 1 month and I was bored to hell. After collecting the dust for 3 more months, the PC was sold for 65% the value. Damage = ~500 quid.

Soldato
Managed to blow my PSU up a couple of weeks ago, who knew plugging it into one of those cube plug extension things would blow it up! Lesson learned next time plug it directly into the socket! £100 for a new one which could have gone to better things!!

Soldato
Lost £12k in about 3 hours online gambling due to being very drunk.

Lost £3k to a mate over one game of Backgammon (lol).

Soldato
My first car a Peugeot 106 18k on the clock back in 2006 had it for 3 year. Over in that time the coil park went, exhaust pipe fell off on the A27, countless times of tyre punctures (had low profile on), someone nicked my stereo and speakers :(, again someone hit my nearside door when parked.

That it? I'd say that's pretty good, 2 real problems in 3 years ownership?

My first car I ended up rebuilding the top end, replacing the carb, replacing the exhaust and manifold, replacing the alternator, doing all sorts of electrical work including a battery replacement, welding up giant rust holes and even at that it barely ran on some days. And the lovely crunch into second got progressively worse until the synchro totally went.

Then again I did sell it a couple of years down for more than I spent on parts and what I paid for it, and I learned a lot about cars.

Hitman
Soldato
Dropped £1000 on a football bet around 5 years ago. Lost it due to a late goal and penalty. Aside from the Grand National, I've not placed another bet / gambled since.

Associate
Didn't leak test my water-cooling loop. Cue a new GPU and mobo... Must have been about £350/£400.

The other day I nearly ruined £15,000 of Clay Paky Sharpys by tipping the case without doing the lid up... That would have been expensive.

Associate
Knocked a cassette of unsawn silicone wafers off the side of a handler whilst working in a fab as an engineering apprentice at Mitel semiconductor. They were for the black box flight recorder of Typhoon...

Tens of thousands of pounds destroyed and umpteen weeks of manufacturing time down the pan.

Soldato
I'm surprised your first car was even worth £800, especially 20 years ago.
Yep, it was so long ago, it was actually a horse-drawn carriage and I damaged it by riding over a pothole in the cobbles :D

Sadly enough, the car itself only cost me £1700, and it broke me. Maybe buying the car was the stupid thing? My first ever credit card to pay for damage to my first ever car :D

Back
Top Bottom