*** Nexus 5 THE Official Thread ***

Associate
Have a problem with my N5 when using the sat nav, every 5 mins or so it would keep telling that the GPS signal was lost.

Phoned Google to describe the problem and they have agreed to send out a replacement (which hopefully arrives today).

I was playing with an app called "GPS Test" and when the phone was in portrait orientation then it would usually 'use' a few satellites but when in landscape orientation it often would not use any satellites. Moving the phone around (mild shaking) would sometimes changes whether any satellites would be used or not.

Associate
Have a problem with my N5 when using the sat nav, every 5 mins or so it would keep telling that the GPS signal was lost.

Phoned Google to describe the problem and they have agreed to send out a replacement (which hopefully arrives today).

I was playing with an app called "GPS Test" and when the phone was in portrait orientation then it would usually 'use' a few satellites but when in landscape orientation it often would not use any satellites. Moving the phone around (mild shaking) would sometimes changes whether any satellites would be used or not.

My first N5 had very poor GPS, took an age to lock and then kept losing signal when using google maps navigation. The replacement has been perfect hopefully yours will be too.

Associate
My first N5 had very poor GPS, took an age to lock and then kept losing signal when using google maps navigation. The replacement has been perfect hopefully yours will be too.

Just got the replacement, it's still downloading my apps so I haven't been able to test the GPS, the first thing I did notice is that the volume, turned up full, is very quiet, especially compared to be previous N5.

Soldato
Just got the replacement, it's still downloading my apps so I haven't been able to test the GPS, the first thing I did notice is that the volume, turned up full, is very quiet, especially compared to be previous N5.

Ironic, my first Nexus 5 (Day 1) was very quiet through speakers, but my GF that was form the same batch was at least twice as loud. My new unit is much louder now.

Associate
Does anyone know if the Nexus 5 is carrying on or if it is being replaced with the Nexus 6? I would rather like to get a Nexus 5 but if it is staying current, I might wait until it comes out with Lollipop on it.

Soldato
Does anyone know if the Nexus 5 is carrying on or if it is being replaced with the Nexus 6? I would rather like to get a Nexus 5 but if it is staying current, I might wait until it comes out with Lollipop on it.

It's still listed on the Play Store, so yeah, it's highly likely going to remain. The lack of stock is probably down to them flashing them with Lollipop.

It will probably be refreshed next year at some point (or perhaps a whole new one next Autumn).

Last edited:
Soldato
hey guys,

anyone replaced the side bezel and back before? my white one is beaten bad on the sides and the back is scuffed. looking to replace the bezel and back and also make it black instead of white :)

Soldato
OK, I've been having an "issue" with my N5. I'm not sure if it's N5, Vodafone or Vodafone SureSignal related, but here is what I've been seeing.

Out and about, all is well. Come home and I'll notice that I'm getting no data updates. Check the phone and I've got a full signal, just no data signal - no 3G, no H, just a full-bar mobile signal.
A total restart of the phone and back comes the data signal.
Now at home I do use a SureSignal, so not entirely sure where the issue is.

I am however 99% sure that the same has happened to me when I'm out and about. Maybe I've moved from one cell tower to another, but I'll look at the phone and see if I've got a signal, but no data. Off/on with the phone and there is the data once more.

As I said I don't know ehre the issue lies, if it's the N5 or if it's Vodafone messing me about (wouldn't be surprised there - will possibly be looking for a new carier early next year).

Soldato
OK, I've been having an "issue" with my N5. I'm not sure if it's N5, Vodafone or Vodafone SureSignal related, but here is what I've been seeing.

Out and about, all is well. Come home and I'll notice that I'm getting no data updates. Check the phone and I've got a full signal, just no data signal - no 3G, no H, just a full-bar mobile signal.

I am however 99% sure that the same has happened to me when I'm out and about. Maybe I've moved from one cell tower to another, but I'll look at the phone and see if I've got a signal, but no data. Off/on with the phone and there is the data once more.

As I said I don't know ehre the issue lies, if it's the N5 or if it's Vodafone messing me about (wouldn't be surprised there - will possibly be looking for a new carier early next year).

Could be a local issue. If all is working out and about.

That's why I left Vodafone.

Man of Honour

Can't you switch off the Sure Signal for a bit and see if it improves at home?

Soldato
I'll give it a go - the reason for the Suresignal is that we are in a bit of a dip. Walk to the end of our garden or a few yards down the road and you get a good signal, in and around our house you stuck at 1-2 bars at best.

I've maybe made the report too early, so I'll keep an eye on things and note down exactly when I see the issue.
I know it's happened a few times - once or twice and I'm happy to live with things :)

happens to me and i'm with tmobile. data just goes, but i find airplane mode is a quicker way to solve the issue usually. i also find the data is shown as h but i've got nothing, and quite often i only seem to be able to get H or nothing, i rarely see 3g shown.

Back
Top Bottom