Decent Wi-Fi set up? Having issues :(

Associate
Hey guys,

I don't know much about networking so excuse me for my lack of understanding,

Currently on BT Infinity (Homehub 4), and is connected to a pc downstairs via Ethernet which gets ~35mbs.

Now on my pc upstairs (about ~13 meters away) i'm getting ~10mbs on 2.4ghz / ~5mbs on 5g (which it auto selects?), whilst the speed isn't amazing, i'm constantly getting lagspikes or no internet so having to disconnect and reconnect to the network whilst its 'connected'

I've been connected to this router for ~2 years and 95% of the time it's been issue free, I used to have a cheap usb dongle which after having similar issues I bought a Wireless Card assuming that would be a lot better, I ended up getting a TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600 which ironically gets less signal strength than the old USB stick. It was mainly issue free for a while but over the last month the problem has gotten worse to an extent its making any gaming extremely frustrating.

There are other devices on the network that as far as i'm aware are not having issues.

I have updated the drivers for the Wireless card, even tried 8dBi Antennas which had no effect. Connecting via Ethernet is something I am unable to do, so what are the best options?

I know wireless set ups are different for everyone, but is there a solid set up I can atleast try? I don't know if it's the card or what, i'm tempted just to buy a wireless usb stick and see if that helps. Surely I should atleast be getting a better speed with the equipment I have? Idk :(

Appreciate any feedback :) :)

Associate
OP
Its basically uses the mains wiring in your house to carry the internet signal through it :)

Simple and cheap to do :D

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC8WoQ4GuLg

Ah you're a legend :)

Seems good! Just ordered some. Cheers dude ;)

Might sound stupid but will it work ok plugging it in an power extension cable? Can't see why it would but never know :D

Edit: apparently you can although not advised. Thanks.

Last edited:
Don
RE: your degrading wireless, you're probably just suffering from wireless congestion. Over the last few years there has been an explosion in homes getting wireless.

Associate
totally agree with this, I work in network services for an SP and our tier 1 guys get loads of wireless calls and the majority are resolved by changing the channel on the hub. Just see which channels are in use locally and pick a free one (pref with a bit of gap) theres plenty of free programs available for this or free phone apps that will give you the channel info you need

or just use good old cmd prompt - netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

Associate
OP
totally agree with this, I work in network services for an SP and our tier 1 guys get loads of wireless calls and the majority are resolved by changing the channel on the hub. Just see which channels are in use locally and pick a free one (pref with a bit of gap) theres plenty of free programs available for this or free phone apps that will give you the channel info you need

or just use good old cmd prompt - netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

Yeah I've done that and moved channels a few times, currently on one that has the least interference with others. There isn't loads but assume enough to make a difference. I hope the Powerline adapters help!

Associate
OP
Ended up with some TP-Link AV500,

Easy enough to install, although slightly disappointed with the speed, i'm only getting ~4mb average, not much different from wireless or even slightly worse, though it does seem more stable than wireless.

The PC connected to the Router gets 20-30mbs so was hoping for 10+ tbh. Idk...

Soldato
Yeah I think I might have to, it's just going to be a massive ballache to do :/

The Powerline adapters are well reviewed giving decent speeds so idk ..

If you can just run a network cable along skirting boards and use something to keep it nice and tidy (old flat I used a nail gun thing the virgin media guy lent me, new flat I have some nails and white holding things ((my terminology is awesome!)).

As Bledd said nothing compares :)

Soldato
A cabled connection is the only guaranteed fix.

Those adapters do appear to be under performing. Have you...

• Plugged them directly into the wall (and preferably not into the same socket as the PC)?
  • Tried unplugging as much as you can to test for interference?
  • Checked the firmware is current?
  • Checked the speed they're syncing at?
And what model are they? The older versions don't perform as well as the more recent models.

APM

APM

Associate
If you can just run a network cable along skirting boards and use something to keep it nice and tidy (old flat I used a nail gun thing the virgin media guy lent me, new flat I have some nails and white holding things ((my terminology is awesome!)).

As Bledd said nothing compares :)

clips!

:eek:

Associate
OP
Yeah unfortunately it will be a case of getting the cable to go outside, up the house, through the loft and into my room .. lol don't think it will be viable to do via skirting boards + we have a kitten who likes to bite things so I don't think it will last long.

Bremen,

Thanks
Yes they are directly plugged into the wall, only have one double socket I can use in my room and Adapter in one, the extension cord in the other. Downstairs there is 2 double sockets behind the PC there, these adapters are the one that includes a plug and due to no spare plug sockets I have put an extension into the adapter there, I will try and change the socket it is in. Again I will try unplugging other stuff to check for interference the only problem being is everything there needs to stay so :/

Yeah its currently on the latest Firmware,

And no idea how to check what speed they're syncing at?

Tried my bro's Ipad to test Wifi speeds an it was 25mbs... lol, my wireless card with 2 antennas gets less than 1/3 of that.

APM

APM

Associate
have you placed any new electrical gear near your wi-fi kit recently?

Or maybe a neighbour has just had a new plasma telly and sat it opposite where your router is against the wall.

Associate
OP
have you placed any new electrical gear near your wi-fi kit recently?

Or maybe a neighbour has just had a new plasma telly and sat it opposite where your router is against the wall.

No, and where it's placed I don't think so. The Wifi is a lot better atm, it just plays up every now and then. Will prolly return the Powerline adapters. Cheers tho

Back
Top Bottom