LL oils + 18k change intervals = waste of time

Soldato
Do the taxis every 10k. On the Mondeo this can be as little as 3/4 weeks. Even at that and with genuine ford filters she certainly feels livlier after a service

Soldato
OP
You would think they would put something in to stop that, I dunno, maybe a filter or something.

LOL. You're a real Einstein...

Most oil filters are 'full flow' filters, and neither trap all the contaminants and debris nor work anything close to 100% efficiency. A good quality OEM cellulose filter only filters about 72% of particles in the in the 8-10 micron range - see link below. Filters also degrade with age and usage.

http://www.synlube.com/oilfilters.htm

Why do you think the actual oil is black and full of metal debris and other contaminants when it's drained from sump?

Caporegime

Most oil filters are 'full flow' filters, and neither trap all the contaminants and debris nor work anything close to 100% efficiency. A good quality OEM cellulose filter only filters about 72% of particles in the in the 8-10 micron range - see link below. Filters also degrade with age and usage.

Why do you think the actual oil is black and full of metal debris and other contaminants when it's drained from sump?

The golf you talk about has 22 parts per million of iron wear metals in - hardly 'full of metal' when Zinc is in the oil as antiwear at 800ppm.

The filters catch all the large size metal wear particles that can cause issues. These smaller peices cause no issue - even at 300ppm of iron in an oil the wear rate is no different to fresh oil.

Oil ges black due to soot and oxidation, nothing to do with metal bits in it

Soldato
I love Dexos2 from GM.

It's cheapest on trade. Works out £39 for 20L Buy 3 and get 1 free :D

Been using it for a few years now. Top motoring!

Queue the engine will die brigade.

Don

They're good enough for what they need to do though.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I love Dexos2 from GM.

It's cheapest on trade. Works out £39 for 20L Buy 3 and get 1 free :D

Been using it for a few years now. Top motoring!

Queue the engine will die brigade.

Where are you buying it for that price? :)

I have a BMW with an M54 engine right now, i therefore have a need for vast quantities of oil :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
People say this, but my 330 didn't use much, couple hundred ml every 2k miles or so at most

Mine isnt that bad to be honest, probably about the same as yours, although perhaps as much as 500ml every 2k miles. Really an engine shouldnt use any though, these engines clearly do use it :(

Soldato
OP
They're good enough for what they need to do though.

Sure. What I'm saying though is that for the sake of a £18 tub of Dexos 2, you'd be mad, not to change your oil (and filter) at 9000/12000 miles and instead run it to 18,000 miles. It's daft, particularly if you have a hard worked or turbo'd engine.

Never understood why people would rather pay a car dealer £100+ each time to change the oil instead of doing it themselves. Buy an oil extractor and a filter removal tool, and it pays for itself after one use. Everything after that is money saved.

Don
Sure. What I'm saying though is that for the sake of a £18 tub of Dexos 2, you'd be mad, not to change your oil (and filter) at 9000/12000 miles and instead run it to 18,000 miles. It's daft, particularly if you have a hard worked or turbo'd engine.

Never understood why people would rather pay a car dealer £100+ each time to change the oil instead of doing it themselves. Buy an oil extractor and a filter removal tool, and it pays for itself after one use. Everything after that is money saved.
Mad, daft? You keep saying this, but you haven't provided any actual evidence that running dirty oil, longer is detrimental to the life/performance of the engine. If anything you're daft spending more money changing the oil more often in light of the lack of evidence to the contrary!

Caporegime
I have never heard that you are supposed to change the engine oil that often? :confused:

I have been running this oil for 17,000 miles and the thought of changing it hadn't even crossed my mind yet.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I have never heard that you are supposed to change the engine oil that often? :confused:

I have been running this oil for 17,000 miles and the thought of changing it hadn't even crossed my mind yet.

Entirely depends on the car!

The K-series Honda engines can have oil consumption figures that would shock most people, but it's perfectly normal. Most people with K20's opt to change their oil every 5000-8000 miles.

And it's a very noticeable difference! At least, my first oil change was when I got the car, changing from whatever was in it to Fuchs Titan S Pro, made the world of difference!

Don
Mad, daft? You keep saying this, but you haven't provided any actual evidence that running dirty oil, longer is detrimental to the life/performance of the engine. If anything you're daft spending more money changing the oil more often in light of the lack of evidence to the contrary!

but fifth gear....

:p

Soldato
OP

LOL. You sound like you're the sort of person who questions whether its cold in the North Pole :p

Soldato
LOL. You sound like you're the sort of person who questions whether its cold in the North Pole :p

Aren't you the person who is questioning hundreds of hours and millions of pounds of R&D because of something you saw on TV/online? You're also arguing the toss with someone who works with oil, for BP I believe. So for all intents and purposes, it may as well be tropical at the North Pole for all the sense you're making :D

Don
:confused:

but, but.....

fifth gear?!

Aren't you the person who is questioning hundreds of hours and millions of pounds of R&D because of something you saw on TV/online? You're also arguing the toss with someone who works with oil, for BP I believe. So for all intents and purposes, it may as well be tropical at the North Pole for all the sense you're making :D

Sshh you'll spoil the fun :p

Soldato
OP
Aren't you the person who is questioning hundreds of hours and millions of pounds of R&D

LOL. 18,000 service intervals weren't introduced because someone eliminated oil getting dirty and contaminated with use, they were driven largely by manufacturers wanting to bring down the 'on paper' cost of servicing to fleets over contract periods.

You're also arguing the toss with someone who works with oil, for BP I believe.

I work for Coca-Cola but I wouldn't say I'm expert on fizzy drinks :p

Back
Top Bottom