BMW 4 series coupe

Associate
Hi all

Managed to get a somewhat decent lease deal on a 420d m sport coupe (I think BMW were running a promotion in Sept/Oct). I really pushed the leasing company for a 428i rather than a 420d but no joy.

420d m sport
sport automatic transmission
m sport plus pack
advanced parking pack
folding mirrors
Media pack - professional
Brushed alum trim with high gloss finish

£333/ month (incl VAT) based on 9+23 payments (so £10.6k over 2 years). 5,000 miles per year (not much I know!) 7.3p/mile excess which isn't bad in case I go over. Price for a standard m sport auto was £235/month which I think is really good value for what you get.

So 2 questions 1) is this a good deal, I still have time to pull out in case someone can recommend a better option 2) colour - I really can't decide between AW and EB. Given its a 2 year rental I don't mind AW (and its free !) and they look really good on the road but some may think its a bit chavvy.

Thoughts/opinions welcome.

Soldato
£10.6k over 2 years to plant a new car on your driveway? Because that's where it'll be most the time if you only have 5,000 miles/year!

Soldato
£333 p/m seems reasonable - family have a 320d touring at around £420 p/m which is miserly specc'd.

Is this a work related scheme? or an all-in-one cost scheme? (such as them paying tax etc) ?

I've gone EB on my choice - it was really rare, and then as 2013 was over, and 2014 began, every single BMW is the same colour now as mine. Alpine White can look a bit Rep-mobile as they are often spec'd as cheaply as possible, plus they'll show the dirt far easier than pretty much any other colour. The only benefit is that when you inevitably get some stone chips, they'll be harder to see on a white/silver car!

Your 5k miles pa policy is a tricky one, there isn't actually that much negative effect in the monthly figures if you increased, or even doubled that - provided it is done before signing, and not after your receive the car (unless you enjoy the excess mileage charges).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
£10.6k over 2 years to plant a new car on your driveway? Because that's where it'll be most the time if you only have 5,000 miles/year!

Point taken. Work is only 4 miles away but will be using it more over the weekends. I had originally estimated 8,000 per year but the difference on paying excess vs upfront rental is immaterial so decided to go with lower mileage.

I have run similar PCP/buying outright quotes but nothing seems to come close to what I'm getting here.

Associate
OP
£333 p/m seems reasonable - family have a 320d touring at around £420 p/m which is miserly specc'd.

Is this a work related scheme? or an all-in-one cost scheme? (such as them paying tax etc) ?

A private lease deal, the only requirement is that you need to get a car allowance through work. Similar spc'd car on my work scheme came to over £660/month!

Soldato
Surely actual depreciation on a reasonbly engined 4 would be nothing like £10k and therefore a much better idea?

I can't fathom why you'd want a 2 litre diesel to do 4 miles a day then use at the weekend

Associate
OP
Surely actual depreciation on a reasonbly engined 4 would be nothing like £10k and therefore a much better idea?

I can't fathom why you'd want a 2 litre diesel to do 4 miles a day then use at the weekend

I don't want a 2 litre diesel, this is the only engine option where they have a special offer running. I personally want a 428i but that is roughly £130/month more expensive (£4k more expensive in total).

over 2 years? Dep will be close to £10k. Plus a reasonably engined car inc the spec I want would be close to £40k so interest payments on the loan plus dep would be more than £10k. I do have the cash to pay upfront but that's currently sitting in my offset mortgage account which will allow me to pay off my mortgage quicker so will potentially lose out on that benefit.

Soldato
You've gone for this?

a) it isn't the engine you wanted
b) it's still 330 a month for something you didn't originally want
c) you're limited to 5k miles or pay a silly price per mile if you go over

Doesn't sound like good value to me

Man of Honour
It would drive me mad putting up with that engine to only do 5000 miles a year. It's not cheap either really is it, £10,000 to hardly use a car for 2 years?

There must be better ways to spend £10,000 on doing 10,000 miles over 2 years.

I think I'd be tempted by a used M135i instead. It wont lose £10k over 2 years.

Caporegime
Seems awful... 10K is a lot of money for 2 years in a car you don't really want... It is also more than enough money to buy a nice older car, with plenty of change to cover other costs.

Associate
I wish everyone would stop buying white cars on finance. I want to buy an interesting colour once you've paid all the depreciation!

This so much. Never been a fan of white cars and sick of seeing every new car a friend/family member buys on finance being white.

Did something happen in recent years that I missed that made white cars look a lot better to these people?

I just want to buy a nice used blue or red car, and if I have to choose a non-colour such as black or white, I'd pick black every single time.

It's really up to you, but personally I'd pull out. I couldn't live with myself if I was paying £10,000 and being limited to 5,000 miles. Might want to take a few steps back and consider where else that money could go.

Soldato
I couldn't live with myself if I paid 333 a month for a 2 litre diesel. But then I really do dislike the 4 series. If you do go ahead don't get a white one, they look naff.

Are there not better deals to be had on a 3 series?

Soldato
Paying £10,000 to drive 10,000 miles?

In a 2.0 4cyl diesel?

£1/mile excluding fuel??

Are you mad?

You might as well just set fire to that £10k and make a bonfire out of it.

Back
Top Bottom