LL oils + 18k change intervals = waste of time

Man of Honour
LOL. 18,000 service intervals weren't introduced because someone eliminated oil getting dirty and contaminated with use, they were driven largely by manufacturers wanting to bring down the 'on paper' cost of servicing to fleets over contract periods.

But in order to do that, they had to work with oil companies to develop suitable oils. BMW for example have used longlife servicing for more than 15 years. Where are all the dead BMW's that barely limped past 100k miles?

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;27125666 said:
But in order to do that, they had to work with oil companies to develop suitable oils. BMW for example have used longlife servicing for more than 15 years. Where are all the dead BMW's that barely limped past 100k miles?

LOL. That's funny given that BMW have now revised their oil change intervals down to 10,000 miles :p

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=998439

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27125666 said:
Where are all the dead BMW's that barely limped past 100k miles?

Plenty of x18d & x20ds that have either snapped the cam chain or ingested the swirl flaps haven't made it past 100k ! Nothing to do with oil mind although would the cam chain have snapped if it had been lubricated better with more oil changes :D

Soldato
OP
In America - 1year ago

At the same time Europe remains on 30k km year drains.

Ford is even less in the US!

In general, Ford Motor Company recommends the following oil change schedule:
2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first
2007 and older model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first

http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil

Caporegime
Ford is even less in the US!

In general, Ford Motor Company recommends the following oil change schedule:
2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first
2007 and older model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first

http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil

You don't need to educate me on oil drain intervals.

The US is a completely different market to Europe, I'm not sure why you are using US examples to support your story. US fuel has much higher levels of sulphur which limits drain intervals.

I still find your thread title ironic and confusing: Changing oil more often than needed (as you suggest) is actually a waste of time. Changing it less saves time

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;27125799 said:
In the US market, sure. The same market where fuel quality was such that they couldn't even sell the N53 engine.

Meanwhile, in Europe...

Yeah, but you never stress your engine because of the way you drive, 30% throttle etc.

The stretch to 18k service intervals was for fleet cost reasons with data derived from optimum driving conditions, in the same way that manufacturer MPG figures are derived from optimum driving conditions. Back in the real of congestion, tons of traffic, stop/starts....

Like I said earlier, not paying £18 for a tub of Dexos 2 at 9k/12k is seriously *****.....

Changing oil more often than needed (as you suggest) is actually a waste of time. Changing it less saves time

Quickest and easiest thing to do. A LOT cheaper too.

Beats getting butt raped by a dealer to the tune of £150 for an 'oil service'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
You don't need to educate me on oil drain intervals.

The US is a completely different market to Europe, I'm not sure why you are using US examples to support your story. US fuel has much higher levels of sulphur which limits drain intervals.

I still find your thread title ironic and confusing: Changing oil more often than needed (as you suggest) is actually a waste of time. Changing it less saves time

What is your opinion on the sludge problems with the VAG 1.8T and 2L TFSi, do you know what causes it ? as everyone that owns one is guessing really but more frequent oil changes seems to cause less sludge build up.

Last edited:
Soldato
In fairness, I can't really take anyone who doesn't understand the basic principle of viscosity seriously when discussing oil, especially when they're sprouting complete guff about the rest of the topic as well.

Don
I'm still amazed so many of you continue to bite, every thread the OP starts ends with identical bemusement. Either a clever troll fishing for reaction or prime candidate for mumsnet....

Back
Top Bottom