Go buy a Harmony Smart Control

Soldato
OP
Isn't an IR remote a bit "old hat" now?
I control my music selection on whatever Ipad/Iphone I have to hand.

Plenty of devices in your AV cabinet are going to be IR controlled though aren't they? Not many people can turn on their TV with their smart phone (only a limited number of phones have IR to my knowledge) but it's something which the Harmony Hub lets you do :)

Still, I personally still prefer a remote over a smart phone. I tried living with just a phone to control everything but ultimately it means I couldn't share control with friends or family easily.

I also much prefer the tactile feel of a remote and the ability to "pause" or "mute" in a heartbeat is nice - something I point and joke at my friend for when his parents ring and it takes him a good 10/20 seconds to unlock his phone, fire up the app (twice if it crashes the first time) and then pause.

Don't get me wrong, I still stream spotify to my AV system with my phone and often quickly use Plex on my iPhone to browse and launch short TV shows - but always being able to fall back to a remote that anyone can pick up and control everything from is something I don't think I can live without.

Associate
It's no doubt gone unanswered because it's an outdated question I'd say. Any modern AMP is going to have on screen mirroring of the menu/options selected. If it's a major concern I'd simply buy an AVR based on started requirements but double check video reviews to see you're happy that it does what you want.

Also, changing surround modes isn't something I've ever had to do manually on an AVR before. My AMPs faultlessly detects the input signal and adjusts to decode signal just fine DTS, HD AUDIO, 5.1, 7.1 etc. It's possible that again you're applying outdated understanding of a process that just isn't required any more.

Unless you're talking about changing EQ presets - in which case what does it mater what preset it's on if it sounds good? It's all going to be subjective if you can't tell your in "music" mode when watching a movie. If it sounds bad then press the button to change the preset and boom, you're done. Point is mute anyway as yeah, modern ones are going to show you what's happening on the screen.

I dont think thats true about all modern amps. My Pioneer is only a couple of years old and doesnt have it. I recently posted on the Sony STR-DN1040 thread and got this reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1800 View Post
Does anyone know if this amp or another at similar price displays info such as volume, surround mode etc on the TV screen when you make changes. (I cannot see my amp at all as in cupboard)
Earlier reply wasnt clear Thx

No, the only way to see it is go into settings.

I am encouraged by your responce though that some will have it so may be a trip to richer sounds is in order. :)

Soldato
Pretty sure the Harmony Smart Control does PS4 as well so it's not required to get the ultimate.
No Harmony remote can control a PS4....;)
They can control a PS3 & xbox one but not the PS4

From reading up about this, it seems to be because sony will not allow it..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Caporegime
using the stock remote is usually quicker i find, i have a harmony and never use it.

you simply cannot replace every single button on most remotes. if your simple and don't use advanced features then get a harmony. if you tweak stuff all the time then don't bother.

e.g. i use game mode on my tv a lot, i use smart tv functions on my tv, etc.

i find it's usually easier and quicker to use the 3 separate remotes than have one and have to use the toggle device button

oh and my tv controls my ps4 and my stock remote controls the tv

Caporegime
Use my Harmony 1100

TV only needs one function.
On or off
Htpc is on/standby and boots straight into Windows Media Center
Amp is just on/off/volume control. (the activities on remote control source)
Xbox360 works too

Have activities set up for :
Xbox games
Chromecast music (no TV)
Chromecast TV
Htpc Windows Media Center

Do have a logitech dinovo mini for htpc too

Soldato
I have a Harmony 555, had it for years and although it's great it looks a bit tatty now most the button text/colour has worn off. Had a play with a One Touch at the weekend and wasn't bowled over with it. The ergonomics are not right IMO, the main nav/DPAD is in the middle with the play/pause commands right at the top above the touch screen which makes it unwieldy to use (for me at least).

I much prefer a proper remote than using my phone/tablet.

Last edited:
Associate
Little bump here, I'm on the look out for a new remote to replace my harmony one as I now have an amazon fire tv, seeing as the price for the smart control has dropped to £57 I'm tempted by it. Has anyone gone from a harmony one to this and been happy?

Feel like I would miss the touch screen for favourite channels as I'm sure the novelty of using my phone will wear off sooner or later and the remote supplied is obviously basic, I know there is the ultimate but for now that is just too expensive.

Associate
Another Harmony ultimate owner here, I love it and so does the wife, makes it so much easier setting the AV Amp to the correct input when switching devices.

Plus the phone app is useful also/

Got mine from rich sounds for £159 :) quite a steal.

Soldato
Still running my Harmony 900 here until they develop the ability to control the PS4 too. No sense changing until I know that really. I am sure it will get decided on eventually.

Associate
Yeah can't really knock that price, lowest it's been. Just can't see me preferring the basic remote coming from a harmony one hence asking if anyone has converted and been happy?

Soldato
OP
I made the move form harmony one to the basic smart hub and controller.

It's not a big as downgrade as you think as each button can be assigned two functions. So if you use a couple of extra buttons on your remote (maybe like change aspect ratio or something) you could assign that to "long hold" on the guide button.

In addition the app on your phone will let you use EVERY button on the original remote.

Personally I saw the basic remote as a massive improvement over the harmony one because:
1) it has the colour buttons that TiVo uses for a lot of stuff
2) it's MASSIVLEY more responsive (less delay for button presses)
3) it doesn't need to sit in a cradle all the time
4) activities are more reliable because someone can't walk in the way half way through a command
5) easier for my partner to use because we both hated the touchscreen responsiveness

Back
Top Bottom