Network Share via Server Essentials

Associate
Hi,

I have a server that i have Server Essentials 2012 R2 installed and running fine.

i have a Network printer that is not on the domain but i want to be able to scan to a folder.

Is this possible with out the printer being on the domain? When i input the address \\userpc\scans in to the printer i keep getting share not found.

What is the best way to do this? The printer used to scan to network fine until i put the pc on the domain.

Thank You in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried using the IP address to rule out a DNS issue?

Should make a difference whether it's connected to the domain or not. Do you create a location for scans via the printers control panel / webgui? Try adding the credentials of a domain user.

Associate
OP
thats what i cant understand, what username and password do i use?

I am using SMB on the printer.

i will try using the IP Address tomorrow see if that fixes it.

What i have done is on the root of the c drive, create a folder called scans, right click and shared the folder for everyone - set full permission.

Associate
thats what i cant understand, what username and password do i use?

I am using SMB on the printer.

i will try using the IP Address tomorrow see if that fixes it.

What i have done is on the root of the c drive, create a folder called scans, right click and shared the folder for everyone - set full permission.

Fist ping the ip of the printer to see if the domain see the printer.

Go to the web console for the printer and find the scan SMB settings, and put the domain name / domain admin / password in it. I had a Samsung printer that would only scan with SMB with an account in domain admins group.

it is a bit hard to fix without knowing how it all connected.

Associate
OP
thanks for the help so far.

Yes i can ping the printer fine as i can print from it with no problems.

Its all connected wired network cable with static ip addresses and is working just fine on the network for printing.

I will try adding the admin username and password of the domain in. Or i will make a new admin with the user scan and see what happens.

Thanks
Dave

Associate
Just create a new (service)account called scan or something similar and instead of everyone, give the scans folder permissions on that user instead. Always a bad idea to use admin accounts all the time & for everything. Security starts at home :p

Soldato
The "share not found" error suggest a connection issue. Otherwise the error would have said access denied.

Does the printer have a logfile you're able to browse via a webgui? The error code should give you a better idea of where it's failing.

Have you tried replacing the hostname with the IP address?

Fix the connection issue before messing around with authentication.

Associate
What age/model is the scanner?
Server 2012/Windows 8 has changed the spec of SMB, and I've found that a lot of older scanners can't scan to it. Some devices have had firmware updates released since 2012 has come out, but many haven't. I'm nearly certain this will be the problem if you've already got the permissions set and neither DNS name/IP address works.
See a lot of other users with the same problem here, here and here. The last link mentions changing to SMB2 which I wouldn't be too fussed on trying.

To get around this I set up an FTP site that is bound to the scans folder, create a 'scanner' username that has permission to the folder and the FTP site, and set the server to scan to FTP instead of SMB. Bit more setting up and you have to install the IIS role but it's not massively difficult.

Associate
"Share not found"

In this instance it sounds like the User account set up with SMB Connection to the Domain is incorrect and should state that you are either unable to locate the share or do not have permissions to do so.

Create new service account as above and go into the Web Gui of the printer, Point to "Domain/Share" using "Serviceaccountadmin & Password123" May have a setting to allow X Account through at all times, If I have chance i'll take some screenshots of our Xerox at work in regards to SMB scanning and post them up.

Hope that helps atleast in some way!

Back
Top Bottom