New build Garage, with an Eco-3xBed attached

Associate
Hi All,

We're keeping a blog of our new build and thought OC members might be interested. Hoping to use it as a diary and to share our experiences: http://ollybrand.wordpress.com/2014/10/21/our-agile-house-build-the-old-bus-depot/

The%2Bold%2Bbus%2Bvisual%2B1%2B140515.jpg

I'll try to keep this post up-to-date with synopsis of the blog posts, and some videos and pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqh6IEuv9X0

Happy to answer any Qs. Currently on the hunt for a windows and door supplier if anyone has any recommendations. Energy now sorted with NuHeat.

Soldato
nice one -looking forward to following.

Can I ask (as someone who is seriously considering building my own home) - how did you find the land for the property? where did you start?

Soldato
Lovely, I love a house build/renovation thread.

Will definitely be keeping my eye on it, something I've always dreamed of doing but doubt i'll ever have the capital to make it a reality!

Associate
OP
Booyaka, a lot of the self build forums and places like Buildstore have guides to find land. We were lucky/unlucky as the latest blog post explains :D.

http://ollybrand.wordpress.com/2014/10/31/land-why-the-old-bus-depot/

My tip would be to befriend your local (decent) estate agents. They'll then keep an eye out for a plot, or a property that could be demolished to be a good plot for you. If a plot is good value, in this climate, they tend to be sold before they are on display in an estate agents. Once you add planning plots quadruple in price, if not more.

Associate
OP
Lovely, I love a house build/renovation thread.

Will definitely be keeping my eye on it, something I've always dreamed of doing but doubt i'll ever have the capital to make it a reality!

Thanks R.O.S.S.I, it definitely takes more capital to build vs buy but the rewards are there also. Our house would cost a lot more to buy when done. I doubt we could afford it. Most self build mortgage companies want to see 25% or more deposit, and first time buyers + builders are the highest risk. An existing mortgage, good credit rating and 25% deposit equates to an easier ride.

Associate
OP
We've a PM Builder. Grand Designs has taught us well. And realistically this is our one shot at building a house and I know very little about building. Hence hiring a good / the best team we can.

Now the 'orrible planning blog post is out the way and we've the pad laid I'll do some more posts about getting out of the ground. With pics and some vids :D.

Associate
OP
DPM went in before the concrete in the garage. Fitted after for the main house pad. First floor block work is currently going up, the joists are in and we're ordering the roof this week.

Blog update coming soon :D. We've been making good process. Thanks mostly to the kind weather! Work has been keeping me busy too.

Associate
OP
Lots of progress of late. We nearly managed to get the roof on by Christmas! The weather has been kind, and the single block construction has meant it's gone up at a cracking rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qzBSHV_7g

IMG_4062.JPG

It feels tiny now we have the floor ply lined! With the concrete pad it looked massive, then the block work started and it shrank.

IMG_4074.JPG

Tiny, and very dark with the grey walls, scaffolding up and crappy weather. A couple of blog posts to come.

IMG_4130.JPG

We nearly got the roof on by Christmas. However, the last week or so the weather hasn't been great and a few other things have had to be addressed.

IMG_4145.JPG

Now looking more likely we'll have a roof up and tiledby the end of Jan.

Back
Top Bottom