GA-Z97N Gaming 5 (Audio thru HDMI)

Associate
Hi

I've just bought a "GA-297N gaming 5" and running Windows 7 but I cannot find a way of receiving sound through the HDMI cable. All the sound jacks are working fine both front and rear, but nothing through the HDMI cable which I normally use to connect to the TV.

In the sound section of Windows the "playback devices" report a "digital audio (HDMI)" but it's greyed out and states "not plugged in".

I haven't found any relevant settings in the BIOS to alter anything so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Last edited:
Associate
Do you have any graphics card or sound card connected?
Also do you have latest sound and chipset drivers for your motherboard?
Regarding sound driver: I've no idea if there's software like in MSI boards (Sound Blaster Cinema) but if there is, check if it's not blocking you from using different source of audio. Also note that you have to use HDMI also for video, as if you try to use DVI for video then HDMI won't work for just sound.
You could also try different HDMI cable.

Associate
OP
Do you have any graphics card or sound card connected?
Also do you have latest sound and chipset drivers for your motherboard?
Regarding sound driver: I've no idea if there's software like in MSI boards (Sound Blaster Cinema) but if there is, check if it's not blocking you from using different source of audio. Also note that you have to use HDMI also for video, as if you try to use DVI for video then HDMI won't work for just sound.
You could also try different HDMI cable.

Nichrome,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a graphics/sound card fitted and I'm not using the DVI output at all. I'm trying to receive both sound and video through the HDMI. I don't have a different HDMI cable to try but the one I'm using does work on a different system I have.

All the drivers I installed came on the CD provided with the board, so even if they were a little out of date, they should still work.

The sound drivers on the CD are in order of installation which are:

"Realtek HD Audio Driver"

"Creative SB X-Fi driver" (Driver Note "Must be installed after Realtek Driver")

I understand what you say about the Sound Blaster configuration possibly blocking the HDMI, but I'm not sure where the settings are to change them. Would it mean uninstalling the Sound Blaster driver?

Thanks

Associate
OP
HDMI problem [[SOLVED]]

Regarding sound driver: I've no idea if there's software like in MSI boards (Sound Blaster Cinema) but if there is, check if it's not blocking you from using different source of audio.

I reinstalled Windows 7, but instead of installing both sound drivers that came with the CD for this board i.e. (1, Realtek HD Audio Driver) (2, Creative SB X-Fi driver), I just installed the first one. I was then able to receive both video AND audio over my HDMI cable.

The sound blaster driver did indeed block me from using a different source.

Thank you "Nichrome"

Back
Top Bottom