BMW and M Power Owners

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Since when do newer cars not have a thermostat (by thermostat i guess you actually mean a visible temperate gauge, as all cars and anything with a liquid cooled engine has a thermostat)? The newest car i have taken the time to look at recently was an F10 5-series and that certainly has a temperate gauge :)

Soldato
I'm pretty sure my old pool cars I used, a 2012 corsa diesel and the Auris didn't.

Out of my sample of two modern cars I have driven, 100% didn't have a thermostat gauge so that's where my questionable logic came from :D

And when I say thermostat yeah I mean temperature gauge, although I thought what it actually showed was how open the thermostat is so is therefore a proxy for temperature?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
They show the output of a coolant temperature probe :)

The cars you refer to without a visible gauge will still have an overheat warning should that ever happen, they no doubt have a multi function error screen available to them which would show this. At the very least they will almost certainly have a big error light which would illuminate in the event of the coolant being outside of allowance limits.

Soldato
I guessed they must have some sort of warning or shut off/ very limp mode. Damn you, clever modern cars :(

Edit- I guess I don't care that I done have an oil temperature or amp gauge like my dad does in his TR6 i just pay attention if I get a warning light

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Since when do newer cars not have a thermostat (by thermostat i guess you actually mean a visible temperate gauge, as all cars and anything with a liquid cooled engine has a thermostat)? The newest car i have taken the time to look at recently was an F10 5-series and that certainly has a temperate gauge :)

The F10 5 Series temp gauge is oil temp not water temp.

Soldato
Just got back from a day out and about 250 miles in the 640d, well that's made the decision a bit easier when I take it back tomorrow. Going to order the new car, seems daft to go for the 13 plate as with the extended warranty, service pack, connected drive, mot etc it'll offset some of the added cost of the new car, well at least that's what I'm telling myself ;)

Did ok with ecoemy as well showing 47.3 when I pulled back in to my drive. The hud is awesome and should be standard fit, the multifunction dash is very good and the Harmon Kardon system dealt very well with everything thrown at it. So the M Sport Plus pack would be a must fit for anybody looking at a 6

Soldato
The 20" wheels rode brilliantly today apart from 2 times which were big pot holes on the motorway, but then 12" wheels would have crashed over them.

Ride was as good I'd say as that on the Xf and better than the m235i even with MPSS and adaptive suspension.

Soldato
I wouldn't even consider an M235i if I had the opportunity to get a 640D. You've definitely made the right choice this time!

At the time the deals on the 6 weren't as good as they are now, or at least in the form that I wanted. In all honesty if I'd not had the problems with the M235i I'd not have been changing, but I have so I am, and the deal thats been put on the table, with a bit of jigging around of money, means that I can get into the 640d for less than I was paying for my XF...on that basis it'd seem daft not to go for the new car. So order will be placed tomorrow :) unless they sling any other curve balls like the M3 demo they've got ;)

Man of Honour
Stuff the M3, the 6 is a seriously great car. It's actually built properly for a start. First time you've bought something and I've actually been jealous, I think the 6 is the most desirable car in the BMW range right now and there isn't a single engine choice in the 6 range that is anything other that outstanding.

It's basically an F10 that's better in every way :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27146519 said:
Stuff the M3, the 6 is a seriously great car. It's actually built properly for a start. First time you've bought something and I've actually been jealous, I think the 6 is the most desirable car in the BMW range right now and there isn't a single engine choice in the 6 range that is anything other that outstanding.

It's basically an F10 that's better in every way :D

In all honesty they'd have to put an immense deal on the table to make it worth even considering the M3 and its not going to happen. The did try to sell me a 530d which while financially a fairly good position, wasn't the right car for me...

I liked the 640d GC they leant me a few weeks ago, but the coupe is, to me, so much more what I want, its not big enough to have its own gravitational field for starters :) The drive home yesterday in it, which was only 20 miles, and the subsequent 250 miles I've done today have just proven its the right car for me.

It feels like the XF did when I 1st sat in one of them back in 2008/9, where it feels special. The kids were fine in the back, and the Mrs liked it as well which is always a bonus, commenting on how quiet, comfy and good it look.

I'll head down to the dealer tomorrow as they want this one back and get everything sorted and hopefully as the new one is a stock car we can get something arranged quickly. Then just got to move my number plate, again, and get the GAP and Insurance dealt with.

Man of Honour
the coupe is, to me, so much more what I want, its not big enough to have its own gravitational field for starters :)

You do realise it's exactly the same width and only 11cm shorter than the GC, right? :p

They do feel genuinely special inside, my favourite feature is how the leather console seamlesly blends into the leather dash. Wonderful.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27146597 said:
You do realise it's exactly the same width and only 11cm shorter than the GC, right? :p

They do feel genuinely special inside, my favourite feature is how the leather console seamlesly blends into the leather dash. Wonderful.

Yep but that 11cm makes a world of difference to how it feels and the overall size, the coupe doesn't feel like its overhanging every parking space, where the GC did. I suspect the weight difference may also have a bearing on that as well. Just a personal thing and the coupe does what I need so I've decided on that.

The M Sport having the full dash, with the contrast stitching is a very nice touch.

Soldato
Deal done, should take delivery on the 22nd of a Carbon Black 640d M Sport. Standard spec with the M Sport plus pack is pretty impressive and the surround view just finishes it off. Would have been happy with just the reverse camera but the full surround is nice :)

Oh and to top it all I've been leant the demo until I take delivery of my car...so no more squeaky seated M235i

The dealer has done a great job of recovery a pretty crap situation and I've ended up with what is pretty close to a perfect car :D

Back
Top Bottom