Plusnet Discussion Thread

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Permabanned
Thanks, will order the cheaper TP link router. That asus N66 looks good but i've had a lot of problems with Asus so i'm going to try another make.

Can't wait to get rid of this plusnet router. Wireless is terrible, now can't go faster than 5mb despite having full signal.

Associate
Associate
Super thumbs up to plusnet... Only been with them a few weeks so far.
Had a fault with bt equipment overnight or early hours and the BB was down all day while I was at work.
Phoned Plusnet up at midnight! and got through to this guy who sorted me out. Very friendly and got into conversation about building pc's and different settings for my asus router. Turns out the fault was with dslam not resetting the session so my router was trying to reconnect but the dslam was saying your already connected and rejecting PPPOE: "network down" status.

Anyho got a return call today, What he couldn't answer the other night he had done some research and called me back regarding some settings on my asus router:cool:.

Very happy Big thumbs up, I forget his name but if he browses around here Your a star :D

Associate
Very impressed with Plusnet so far, Been in 2-3 weeks now and get slightly better DL speed over the infinity line. I get this result all day every day, Not had to deal with the call center yet but cant recommend the product enough. My estimated speed was also 51mbps (a goot 700+Meters from the street cab but housing estate is only a few years old so cable have yet to rot.

Associate
Well that's a disappointment, engineer has been and there's no faults on the line. Apparently my FTTC is within tolerance and going as fast as it ever will (sub 8mb) and the discrepancy between the availability checker and real life is because the checker estimates speed to the main pole which is still some 500 or more metres away from my property.
Oh well beats the previous 1.25mb ADSL+2 and it's cheaper so I'll just have to live with it ;)

Well it appears that PlusNet now agree with BT in that the result you get when you input your telephone number here;
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
does in fact give the expected speed to the main village drop pole (500mtrs away from me) and not to the actual location of my telephone.
As a result they say that at under 7mb my FTTC is working as well as it can and closed the ticket :(

Associate
Plusnet are owned by BT anyway. I switched from BT Infinity 2 to Plusnet Fibre Extra because I got annoyed with BT's CS and wanted to save some cash.

No regrets at all. The odd time I've had to phone CS they've actually helped, and I have a static IP with rDNS set. I see no reason for anyone to choose BT over PN ever to be honest.

Cheapest way to get a reasonable AC router is to buy a HomeHub 5 from Ebay for ~£40. I actually have 4 of the things from BT because I kept complaining to them about things, I use them as access points around the house and try to bribe friends into switching to plusnet and putting me as referrer with them ;)

Soldato
So is it advised to buy a Home Hub 5 to go with my new plusnet? I game a lot if this helps, and intend to stream to Twitch everyday.

Last edited:
Associate
Can be used fine with other ISPs tho.

If your demands aren't big then it does the job fine. AC wireless, port forwarding, upnp, all work fine. No other way you'll get a 3x3 AC router for £40.

If you want WoL support, VPN support, full QoS etc, you'll be paying more.

Associate
Been with Plusnet for about a month now. Their support has been good so far.

I wasn't getting my estimated speed of 26mbps, only 16mbps. They sent out an engineer who came, messed about in cab and reset the line, came back and said "it's 24mbps now its all good".

After he left it promptly went down to 19mbps, and then 16mbps again a day later.

They sent a second engineer, couldn't see anything wrong but his equipment was getting a higher sync speed than my modem, 16mbps on modem and 19.5 on his testing unit. He replaced the ECI modem with the huarwhauiri one and sync immediately went to 20.5. This is now apparently best I can get as the line is ~1km.

Line speed with PlusNet was still 16mbps but a quick online chat with them, and they set it to 20.5.

If it stays above 20mbps I'll be happy, but if it drops again there's not much to be done :(

The past few days though, pings have dropped from 38, to 28 and now back to the 22/23ms it was at after the first few days of getting fibre. :)

Soldato
I hate you lot -- I got to wait till Xmas ----- Next year at least.

One question I can't get answered is If you are direct from exchange will you get Fibre BB even though there isn't a Cab involved ?

Knowing my luck no will be the answer. - Looking at size of village a vast proportion live close to exchange so that's a lot that wouldn't get it.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom