New pc on the way, sim racing/fps recommendations

Associate
dropped pc gaming for the last 3-4 years and just ordered a new machine.

i7 4ghz, 4gb 970,16gb ram, ssd etc, 27" display, only a 1080 one as using my old 24" dell aswell for vmware, gns3 etc. I really fancy getting back into simracing and fps, went xbone for a while but can't do with consoles except fifa now and again.

used to play race07/GTR evo to an ok level. CS and cod on ED/CB etc. I prefer online to single player stuff.

basically what games should I consider? also recommendations for a wheel. I will only be a casual gamer due to work but do miss my late night sessions on TS/vent lol

Soldato
For sim racing I would look at the assetto corsa early access. For fps maybe CSGO if you played the old CS a lot. Otherwise you can pick up bf3/4 if you want some AAA bling. I would recommend alien isolation btw. Not my usual type of game but just incredible

Soldato
It's really simple, firstly welcome back to the master race ex peasant lmao.

Ok, racing sims best out there is I-racing at the moment, but Assetto Corsa is shaping up lovely currently, project cars is also early access but unless you signed up early you wont be able to play it, just might be one also to look out for.

Regarding fps, look no further than bf4 or csgo, the later being a lot more serious and not as fun Imo. Maybe keep an eye out for far cry 4 in 2 weeks or so as well.

Regarding wheels, the wheel the g27 is fantastic but does come in at a premium.

Associate
OP
cheers fella's, bf4 and csgo were on my list. G27 might be a tad pricey for the amount of use will keep scanning the bay for a bargain perhaps although I had a momo/wheelstand pro before so might look at a DF GT or similar.

Has GO evolved a lot from CS previously? I might find the kids too quick these days as havent played competitive for about 7 years and at 42 the reflexes arent what they used to be haha.

PC wont be here until end of the week so will be scouring threads and reviews until then

Soldato
Yeah csgo for me attracts to many try hards, bf4 is way more fun on teamspeak.

Assetto Corsa now plays very well with a controller, will post up a little video later for you on my controller, although i'm a wheel driver it might give you an idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
car games i always go to are

Asetto corsa
Dirt 3
Richard burns rally ( still the best but hard )
grid

Bf4 has come on a lot now and plays pretty well only a tenner aswell. csgo is okay but if you aint played cs before you will be raped :p

Soldato
Welcome back to the ranks of the elite comrade G1BB0!!! :p

FPS is my primary love on PC. There are plenty of games out there, some MP, some SP.

Multiplayer:

CS:GO is pretty good. I have just come back to CS after not playing since 1.6 many years ago. Its tough as hell, but I am slowly starting to see some improvment! Good game if you are willing to put in the effort to improve.

Quake Live has been nerfed to the point it is no longer Quake (imo). But I am just stuck in my ways, and I have to admit it is still a fairly good FPS as far as the offerings available go.

I have put a little over 2.5 years into Tribes Ascend which is a great game, but on its last legs. I would recommend you give it a go though as it is F2P. It is hard as hell for a beginner, but very rewarding once you learn the physics and tactics :)

Blacklight Retribution is another one to consider.

Titanfall is a fun game, but a lot of people that played it since Beta got bored and moved on. It is great fun but for some reason it does not have the ability to hold my attention for long. Many other people the same way and drifted onto other things.

There is always L4D/L4D2 which are still popular.

Borderlands the pre-sequel is supposed to be pretty good as well, but I have not played it personally.

Team Fortress 2 is sill a pretty good game too.

Planetside 2 is also another great online game, but it is a little bit pay to win.

The newly released Firefall is also fairly good.

Natural Selection 2

Arma 3

Payday The Heist

Insurgency

Hawken (FPS with mechs)

DayZ

Single player:

Skyrim, Deus Ex: HR, Far Cry 3, Metro Last Light, Bioshock Infinite (I wasn't impressed but many others were), Battlefield 4 (pretty good fun SP campaign but the quality of the MP is shocking), Wolfenstein TNO, Portal / Portal 2, The Stanley Parable, Jazz Punk, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Arma 3. There are probably many more.... :)

Back
Top Bottom