Windows Pocket PCs

Soldato
All you'd need is a mobile device of your choice and then download WPS Office (formerly known as Kingsoft office). You can write documents in MS Office format, so it's easy enough to export/import to/from your PC.

Soldato
I've got one of these in the spares cupboard, and a Palm 5000. Can't quite bring myself to get rid of them.

The iPAQs went off for recycling when they ceased to be useful for SatNav, and I got an iPhone...

Caporegime
That's why they had SD card slots (BTW does anybody from Manchester ar on here know where I can get mini SD cards [blank Video/audio tapes're still available but for some reason mini SDs have vanished compeletly] from sale(I owant the size that comes between the min and standard size ones as none of my USB adapters work).

maplan top of oxford road.

Associate
OP
Tried them but no luck.
The one I'm using's 2 gig and it'd the mini (the next size up after micro) SD I want but chances are that there's a shop somewhere that sells obscure/no name brand versions of the size I want,

Man of Honour
Surely a writer would want a proper keyboard?

ayyhiTY.jpg

I wanted one of those so much back in the day, they seemed like the ultimate gadget at the time.

I had one of those. I used it to send my first mobile email by linking it via infra red to my Nokia 8310 phone while on a train. I was pretty excited by doing that at the time :)

Soldato
I always used to go with HTC phones because they had a slide out keyboard, so i was stuck with Windows Mobile 6.5 for longer then i should really. i resisted touch screen smartphones for as long as i could but eventually i had no choice. I still think a proper keyboard is better

Caporegime
Onenote between my S3, Venue 8 pro with active stylus and lappy works for me.

Still got an old Fujitsu Pocket Loox, PDA in one of my 'box of bits'.

When you say active stylus do you mean a pen?

It's a shame pen and stylus have been muddled up so much recently, they are both very different products!:(

Soldato
I think that answers why you should use word - lol... :) ;)

You do know with Onedrive you can sync your work across Windows PC, tablets and phones as well as iOS, OSX, Android etc? Word is perfectly capable of saving to RTF as well if need be.

Nah it answers why any writer needs a good editor! :D

As for OneDrive, yes it does but all my text based workflow is based around DropBox. As for Word being able to do RTF you have kind of missed the point, I'm working in raw text, not RTF, as raw text is simply the most portable. I am not locked to any one piece of software.

As a writer, formatting is the last thing I care about and using Markdown means the formatting I care about whilst writing is translated into the final product.

However my work flow is mine and might not fit other peoples way of working.

Surely a writer would want a proper keyboard?

ayyhiTY.jpg

I wanted one of those so much back in the day, they seemed like the ultimate gadget at the time.

Had one of those, thought it would be great but didn't really use it. The keyboard was nice though.

Associate
These aren't obsolete, a lot of delivery firms still use Windows Mobile for collecting signatures etc. I remember having to sign for a delivery on WM PDA last week. Think it was CityLink

The company I work for, only upgraded to Android based smartphones last year. Prior to that it was Windows Mobile.

I remember when I first started; they had QTEK 9090's (also known as Vodafone VPX). Horrible PDAs. It didn't contain any persistent storage, so it had to constantly powered to retain it's settings. It had a in-built backup battery, and when that stopped working, as soon you removed the main battery.......bang, factory reset :) Those were the days :)

Soldato
We (one bit of local government) are still using WM6.5 as mobile devices that interface with back end systems for things like highways inspections, refuse collections. The software houses are only just developing mobile apps for Android/iOS as possible replacements.

They're still fit for purpose...

Soldato
Probably something more like this :

300lx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom