Painting skirting, doors and ceiling

Associate
I know there have been quite a few threads on this already. I have a lot of skirting and 8 doors that need painting up in my house(new build).

I am unsure of whether to go for an oil based or water based gloss. Obviously the pit falls of oil based are that it will yellow but you get a superior finish and water based won't yellow but harder to get a good finish.

I have been thinking of getting Johnston's aqua undercoat and gloss but have also been offered some ultra gloss for nothing by a decorator friend. What would best out of those 2 choices?

Also what is the best way to apply to get the best finish? I have read that it is good to sand in between coats but what grade of sand paper should be used?

For the ceilings I was thinking of Johnston's cova plus?

Open to other recommendations?

Any suggestions for paint brushes?

Caporegime
I've just done my skirts using Dulux satinwood (water-based) and Harris platinum brushes from Amazon. Both were great and the satin's much more modern than gloss imo. It went on really well, no drips or brush marks. I'm well impressed so far.

Soldato
Just in the middle of decorating a bedroom (one more room of the house to go!) and have used Dulux satinwood once again. It is much easier to use than gloss (although you still need to give the brushes a jolly good clean after in white spirit) but my method tends to be give the skirting a light sand, go over it with a tac cloth then give it two coats, leaving a day or two between.

Satinwood does drip, although nothing like gloss, I say it drips but it's probably from overloading the brush but I would always go back to the area you painted 5 minutes earlier to check.

I used Satinwood as an undercoat and it worked fine but definitely don't expect to get away with one coat unless you are using the pre-coated skirting boards... and even then.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just done our skirting in Dulux Satinwood once too. As above it does drip a little but its nice to use apart from having to wash the brushes. I sanded down the skirts just with some very fine sandpaper and painted straight on. Looks good but if you've gone to the bare wood you'll definitely need a second coat.

Soldato
Sikkens Rubbol primer & Sikkens Rubbol Satura.

Excellent paints, water borne so easy to clean brushes. Fantastic finish.

Caporegime
Don't understand all the cleaning comments. The Satinwood I've just used was water based and the brushes could be cleaned just as easily as if it had been emulsion.

I've just done our skirting in Dulux Satinwood once too. As above it does drip a little but its nice to use apart from having to wash the brushes. I sanded down the skirts just with some very fine sandpaper and painted straight on. Looks good but if you've gone to the bare wood you'll definitely need a second coat.

Bare wood still needs to be primed. Dulux Satinwood is self-undercoating, not self-priming.

Associate
OP
No one for gloss then?

How do you guys find the satin? I have seen a few peoples houses painted with satin wood and it looks quite dull in comparison to gloss.

What grade of sand paper do you use for sanding in between coats?

Associate
Polycell Crack Free Ceiling Matt White is my paint of choice for doing ceilings. Unless your ceilings are newly plastered perfection this is the stuff to use. I had polystrene ceiling tiles that I removed that despite steam cleaning and using loads of sugar soap the glue residue kept showing through standard white emulsion. This stuff covered it now problem. It also hid some small water marks from where the flashing on the chimney had leaked onto the ceiling. It does actually do a good job of making a less than perfect ceiling look good, though you will still need to do some prep work as it's not some miracle fix for a terrible ceiling!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom