*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
hhmmm think i missed a trick here... i bought the beta access & game for £50 from ED's website couple months back now. Should i be expecting any goodies or backers items when the games released or did i need to buy it through kickstarter for all of that?

Associate
As far as I've read, the Mercenary Edition is for everyone who has bought the game before release. There are some benefits for taking part in the Alpha/Beta..
"Being a Beta backer extends far beyond getting early access to the game. All Beta (and Alpha) backers have access to the beta forums and we will continue to support Alpha and Beta backers with additional benefits and special offers in the future as a thank you for the early support you have given us."

Alpha backers have apparently got half price insurance.
There were some other kickstarter benefits apparently...
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Kickstarter

I wish I'd backed the kickstarter at the £100 point. Would have cost the same as the premium beta I bought, but with extra bonuses. Oh well.

Soldato
On the subject of Elite though, they sure are stepping up, significant FPS increase in the current build for me, just need to get rid of all the pauses during super cruise and I'll be a very happy camper come release day :D

Yeah this is one of the only things that's bugging me in the current release, it seems to be when you're cruising and you get close to a planet - when all the detail loads it stutters quite badly, I have a good SSD and 64GB of Ram so it's not like it's caching, I guess there'll be lots of tweaks and optimisations in the works.

Soldato
I keep watching videos of this game and it looks really amazing but I don't have any flight joystick. (I think I may have a thrustmaster from 199x in the loft, prob not even usb tho :eek:)

I am really thinking of getting this when it comes out to play over christmas as I'll have time to put into it and learn it properly.

Is it possible to play on a keyboard + mouse setup or even a xbox360 controller or do you think it will be a struggle when doing PVP etc?
From reading some comments, it seems for some the game is very hard to manoeuvre using keyboard/mouse but others say they are using kb+mouse without problems (if it is really hard I can see sales of flightsticks rocketing and maybe prices going up :eek:)

Also, I like some of the hardware mods people are doing (head tracking, joysticks etc) :D

Soldato
Hadn't played for 3 or 4 weeks, updated the client and WOW.

Had a happy few hours mining found a superb asteroid that was giving out 40%+ chunks of platinum :)

Then messed around maxing out my hauler for cargo and running a few missions back and forth for couriers before feeding Aulin's obsession with fish.

Still haven't tried landing on a planet yet, I wonder what happens !

Soldato
Last run was in my cobra with a 3-bin refinery and 18 cargo space. Filled it up and made just shy of 100k. Best system is in Coelrind in the B ring you can then sell the stuff you mine in the same system at Siegal Hanger.

Nice and safe with no real piracy.

Secret is to be picky about the asteroids you mine. I only bother with ones that give good chunks 15%+ other wise it just takes too long. Also focus on the good minerals, palladium, platinum, gold, silver etc.

Mine 6 or 7 chunks and then scoop them all.

Associate
Does the game become more stable the further out you are from the core systems? At the moment I'm only hanging around Aulin/Styx etc and after a while the game becomes really laggy and eventually I get stuck in a port as it won't let me launch. Have to quit to the desktop and come back in, but then I lose any missions I have. If it's better further out I may start jumping about.

Soldato
Last run was in my cobra with a 3-bin refinery and 18 cargo space. Filled it up and made just shy of 100k. Best system is in Coelrind in the B ring you can then sell the stuff you mine in the same system at Siegal Hanger.

Nice and safe with no real piracy.

Secret is to be picky about the asteroids you mine. I only bother with ones that give good chunks 15%+ other wise it just takes too long. Also focus on the good minerals, palladium, platinum, gold, silver etc.

Mine 6 or 7 chunks and then scoop them all.

I had an interesting experience last night,

I've spent the last few nights flying all over the place looking for decent material to mine, but it's just been endless gallite/bauxite/rubbish - to the point where I was about to sell my mining kit,

Then last night I found a cluster of 4 metal-rich rings, found a good 4-5 asteroids which were dropping palladium/gold/silver, I have a 7 bin refinery and a type-6, I got about 13 palladium, 6 gold and 12 silver - flew back sold the lot for around 250k

I'd also read on the forums that the resources in the asteroids are *random* so I flew back expecting it to just drop bauxite, but low and behold - the same asteroids were still dropping palladium/gold/silver, so I did it several times before I went to bed, made some serious money..

Totally worth it - in my type-6 stripped out with 112 capacity, I could make about 90k on cargo runs shifting palladium/indum/gold, but if you find asteroids which drop valuable metal - you can make some serious money 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom