All Three One Plans to be cancelled from today

Caporegime
Have you called around for such a service? You may have to pay through the nose but it could be out there.

It's like washing a car with 500ml bottles of Evian. It works but it's not what it's meant for.

I rarely agree with Glaucus, but I agree, this is nonesense lol.

There's a service which works flawlessly, and it's simply tethering from your mobile connection.

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Yes. As there are no mifi/data only unlimited sim plans. So even if it was 3g/4g enabled it wouldn't be unlimited. Or could get a mifi device but again. No unlimited data only Sims.

Soldato
Agreed. Using tether for anymore than 10GB/m mean you should have a dedicated service IMO.

Agreed.

No text as of yet but my usage is about 2gb and thats no tethering. I did while in London chew through 5gb in a week as I wasn't paying the obscene wifi rates in the hotel.

Have anyone been contacted who have a 24month phone plan. I have a Galaxy S4 on the 24 month One Plan?

Last edited:
Soldato
So the problem 3 have found is that some people do just use too much data and a significant chunk of this is via tethering. So they have to do something about this as it is an unexpected cost, which is their right as a company (obviously special circumstances are needed for people mid-contract)

The simple thing would be to restrict the amount that could be tethered, rather than to cancel/put a charge on tethering.

So leave it as an unlimited data contract, but only 2GB of that per month can be via tethering.

The 99% of people who don't use more than that via tethering have the convenience of tethering but at very minimal extra cost to the company.

The alternative for me as a customer who only wants to use tethering for reasonable amounts (<1GB/month, i.e. not a big strain on the bandwidth) is to pay per month to use small amounts of data, which I've already paid for on a different device, or just not tether at all.

As for the small percentage who do use it for heavy tethering, congrats on exploiting this generous loophole for so long, but now you'll have to pay what you always should have done. Don't complain

Caporegime
What is this dedicated service you people speak of?

I'm so confused. People are constantly banging on about the changing of content consumption, and better streaming services. Now people are getting berated for using them on the go (As we keep getting told we should be by companies like EE)

Was this what hardwired internet used to be like? People using services and people telling them off for consuming bandwidth? You can get phone games which take up like 1GB and more of bandwidth, on 4G that'll be minutes!

Last edited:
Soldato
....you should have a dedicated service IMO.

Unfortunately there isn't a service or contract for tethering data with comparable usage limits, so it's a little more than difficult for these users to simply move to a "dedicated" service ;)

I am surprised no one has come to market with a solution (regardless of cost) though.

Caporegime
What solution could be made? They'd need their own infrastructure, the investment would be huge.
A company would literally have to make their own entire mobile network separate of other providers.

Soldato
Unfortunately for me I don't always have wifi access during the week so I do use a fair amount of data.
I think the most it's ever been is 30GB in a month! This month has been a fairly heavy one with half the month gone I've used just under 18gb.
I doubt I'll use much more for the rest of the month.

It'll be a damn shame if the One plan disappears as it was easily the best plan on the market

Caporegime
Why do you believe they'd "need their own infrastructure"?

Network congestion may have played a part but it's more than likely that the ditch of 'unlimited' tethering has occurred over costs, ie - cost of bandwidth outweighing money coming in from customers.

Why wouldn't they need their own infrastructure :confused:

A dedicated service using current infrastructure is surely no different to tethering already, except you've got more tariffs out and customers are paying more money.

Soldato
Have you called around for such a service? You may have to pay through the nose but it could be out there.

It's like washing a car with 500ml bottles of Evian. It works but it's not what it's meant for.

No its more like offering free water then getting angry people use it. Three has made it clear that their the "no caps ever" company that don't care if you use 1gb or 1000gb.

Associate
OP
It now looks like legacy One Plans tied to a phone like mine are safe until the end of their contract period.Time to batter the unlimited 4G tethering that's available.

Soldato
So the problem 3 have found is that some people do just use too much data and a significant chunk of this is via tethering. So they have to do something about this as it is an unexpected cost, which is their right as a company (obviously special circumstances are needed for people mid-contract)

The simple thing would be to restrict the amount that could be tethered, rather than to cancel/put a charge on tethering.

So leave it as an unlimited data contract, but only 2GB of that per month can be via tethering.

The 99% of people who don't use more than that via tethering have the convenience of tethering but at very minimal extra cost to the company.

iirc that's what I'm on now. New One Plan sim-only, signed May this year. Unlimited data via mobile, 2GB tethering.

Back
Top Bottom