Why are there no competitors to steam?

Associate
Steam has gone downhill a bit, with the amount of complete tosh they're putting on the store.
They need more quality control.
I wouldn't say downhill, just a lot more "saturated" than it used to be.
But then saturation was the cause of the video game crash of 1983. :eek:

Soldato
steam has all you ever need, no one should ever leave gaben, gaben treats us well

never has a true'er word been said :D.

All Hail the Gabe

I use Origin a lot and its not bad at all. People complain that they are forced to use Origin but it was the same with steam when it lunched with HL2.

Origin isn't bad, it's just not steam. I'd rather have all my games in one account but I don't use Origin that much, unless it's something specific for that store.

Soldato
The fact that people are happy for one company to have all their games is always a worry. Unless it's Steam sales they aren't exactly cheap either and it gets more bloated with every update.

It's a decent service but i'm glad it's not the only one and as i said in another thread, they have some of the worst customer service i have ever come across. They really don't care about their customers as much as their customers care about them.

Associate
UPlay and Origin are terrible. A frontend for game distribution should be snappy and discreet, not clunky and all up in your face while you're trying to get immersed in a product you just paid £30 for.

Associate
whilst the principal of steam is great unfortunately their customer support sucks!

when I eventually get my account access restored then I will be a happy camper until then they can suck my toes (obviously dont want to fall foul of the swear filter)

5 days on a ticket so far and only one response... not good

Soldato
whilst the principal of steam is great unfortunately their customer support sucks!

when I eventually get my account access restored then I will be a happy camper until then they can suck my toes (obviously dont want to fall foul of the swear filter)

5 days on a ticket so far and only one response... not good

Send an email to here [email protected] outlining your issues. The executive office should get it sorted out for you. I've had friends do this and their ticket that they'd been waiting on for days was sorted very quickly.

Soldato
There are but uplay and anything by ea are very poor in comparison. Steam works. Remember games for windows live? I would rather set my hair on fire and beat the flames out with a hammer than use that muck. Steam works. It's as if they have looked at it from gamers' perspective and made things work properly, which is nice.

Associate
It's because steam covers so many bases. AAA games and indy games, great sales, automatic patching and easy reinstalls, modding, chat and friend tracking plus the new home streaming and steamOS boxes.

What else comes close? EA and Ubi both miss the point with their offerings.

Soldato
Send an email to here [email protected] outlining your issues. The executive office should get it sorted out for you. I've had friends do this and their ticket that they'd been waiting on for days was sorted very quickly.

Thats lovely and everything, but he really shouldn't have to now should he? The amount of money they are making they really could invest in some decent customer service, I'm genuinely surprised that they care so little.

Soldato
Thats lovely and everything, but he really shouldn't have to now should he? The amount of money they are making they really could invest in some decent customer service, I'm genuinely surprised that they care so little.

You think I think it's lovely? :confused:

Of course he shouldn't have to do that, but the point of my post was to highlight the most direct method of sorting out his issue.

Soldato
You think I think it's lovely? :confused:

Of course he shouldn't have to do that, but the point of my post was to highlight the most direct method of sorting out his issue.

Sorry yes I could have worded it better, I mean its nice of you to help with a solution, but its a bad situation, as I realise you agree.

Soldato
Because millions of us had to create a steam account to play Half Life 2 and have stuck with them since :D

Pretty much sums it up really. Came down to Valve seeing the future and having a game they could launch it from. Have to say steam runs the best out of the platforms. Origin is utter rubbish.

Soldato
There will be with time, steam has such a head start on the rest at this point. I dont mind origin but after two usernames and passwords things get really fuzzy and I dint fancy having a text sheet with 10 sets of info lol.
It us really comfy having 95% of my games in one program!

Associate
I think the main problem with being more relaxed with refunds is that people will abuse it, much like those who abuse companies with more relaxed return policies and then ruin it for everyone else when they crack down on it. You couldn't just say you have X number of days after purchase to get a refund because then everyone will play the game and finish it before that period expires. You'd need to have a trial limit which could be difficult to implement. X number of play hours or progression through the game until a refund is made invalid but then everyones idea of what a fair amount of trial time is will be different and it also depends a lot on the game itself.

Soldato
There are but uplay and anything by ea are very poor in comparison. Steam works. Remember games for windows live? I would rather set my hair on fire and beat the flames out with a hammer than use that muck. Steam works. It's as if they have looked at it from gamers' perspective and made things work properly, which is nice.

GFWL was the Devil's work indeed. Origin works, but seems far more clunky than Steam to me.

Back
Top Bottom