**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
If they asked you to call them about it instead of just ignoring your email/fobbing you off, then I'd say it's worth having the discussion with them - clearly the issue is down to the tyres and not the car, after all. You never know what they'll say/do/offer.

At worst, could you sell them as slightly-part-worn-but-pretty-much-brand-new, take the hit versus what you paid, and then get some Contis?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Looking at replacing the front tyres of my Focus. Currently have Conti Premium 2's on it. I've never really looked at the Efficiency, Wet Braking, Noise etc ratings before. But looking online all the Conti's appear to have a rating of E or F when it comes to fuel efficiency. Why is it so bad?

This isn't really going to influence what I buy as I've had Conti's for the last 3 years and they've been fine. I'm just curious.

Associate
Soldato
After about 1000 miles or so I'm finding the F1AS2s a little squirmy at high speeds. I only have them on the rear and the inferior Michelins are still on the front, so I'm hoping this is just unbalancing the car a little and nothing more.

Grip, however, is much better, and I'm not suffering any comfort issues. Hopefully once I replace the fronts as well the car will settle down a bit more.

Soldato
After about 1000 miles or so I'm finding the F1AS2s a little squirmy at high speeds. I only have them on the rear and the inferior Michelins are still on the front, so I'm hoping this is just unbalancing the car a little and nothing more.

Grip, however, is much better, and I'm not suffering any comfort issues. Hopefully once I replace the fronts as well the car will settle down a bit more.

Had an alignment done recently? I experienced the same symptoms until it was all sorted :)

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27144626 said:
Yup.

Just hugely dissapointed really. Stuck with them now for thousands of miles. Wish I'd bought the Conti's instead but why would I even have considered this when I've used F1A2's for years and never been anything other than thoroughly happy with the noise levels?

The rears don't seem to be that noisy, it's the fronts really.

I contacted Goodyear and they asked me to call them but realistically what can they do? Nothing I wouldn't have thought.

I'm in the same boat. I bought 4 x F1A2 as a recommendation from this forum and regret it. About 500 miles in and they seem very noisy at anything over 55 mph. My car isn't exactly quiet, but these seem very loud. I'll have these for the life of the car now with the mileage that I do :(

Man of Honour
I'm in the same boat. I bought 4 x F1A2 as a recommendation from this forum and regret it. About 500 miles in and they seem very noisy at anything over 55 mph. My car isn't exactly quiet, but these seem very loud. I'll have these for the life of the car now with the mileage that I do :(

I wonder if they've very recently changed something in the production process? It's so bizarre as I've used nothing but Eagle F1's for 10 years and they've been so good I spend my time evangelising about them over the internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know people who swear by Avon tyres and people who reckon they're not all that. I suppose it depends what tyres each persons had experience of.

Personally I'm Interested in knowing the opinion of hankook tyres, never tried them myself.
K107 s1 EVO or k115 ventus prime 2
It's for a standard fiesta doing a commute, cheers.
Bit of a delay but I just had 4xVentus Prime2 fitted (replaced 2xPrimewell front, 2xPrimacy HP rear) - There is a marked difference in grip and a perceived improvement by me in fuel economy (they are reasonably highly rated). Granted they are probably not as good as F1A2s or high end Contis, but they are more than ok for my 2x40mile daily commute on mixed roads.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;27159503 said:
I wonder if they've very recently changed something in the production process? It's so bizarre as I've used nothing but Eagle F1's for 10 years and they've been so good I spend my time evangelising about them over the internet.

I am fairly certain it is due to the wheel alignment settings on the car the tyres are being used on, when trying to find what was causing the noise with my sister's car I swapped the wheels with mine and on my car they made no noise.

Soldato
Nice bit of nonsense about tyres on AutoExpress, quoting the usual 7 degrees barrier where winter and all season tyres suddenly gain a magical advantage over Summer UHP tyres in wet and dry conditions.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/winter-special/89318/winter-car-myths-fact-vs-fiction

Sounds like one big advert.

If your wiper blades are worn, trying to extend their life by coating them in vinegar, for example, won’t work. In winter especially, just replace them. Our favourite flat designs are Bosch’s Aerotwin blades (best price £16.99, bosch-automotive.com)

Rot.

Soldato
Bit of a delay but I just had 4xVentus Prime2 fitted (replaced 2xPrimewell front, 2xPrimacy HP rear) - There is a marked difference in grip and a perceived improvement by me in fuel economy (they are reasonably highly rated). Granted they are probably not as good as F1A2s or high end Contis, but they are more than ok for my 2x40mile daily commute on mixed roads.

I've heard lots of good things about these and they do well in tests - seem like fantastic value.

Soldato
Nice bit of nonsense about tyres on AutoExpress, quoting the usual 7 degrees barrier where winter and all season tyres suddenly gain a magical advantage over Summer UHP tyres in wet and dry conditions.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/winter-special/89318/winter-car-myths-fact-vs-fiction

To be fair they are better in very cold, damp or frosty conditions so its not a complete myth. That said it's not as if they are some lind of massive imorovement unless roads are icy (at which point good luck regardlesss) or snowy (maybe 5 days a year here if you're lucky)

On Goodyear v conti - I was more impressed with the f1 on the BMW at least for grip - though with it being a different car I might even put something like rain sports on this next as wet grip when pulling away etc is poor on the fn2 whilst I'm sure it could take a dry grip compromise

Last edited:
Soldato
I've heard lots of good things about these and they do well in tests - seem like fantastic value.

On the second set on our car, fitted at the factory as OEM. Found them to give good grip wet and dry and lasted well.

I think they are excellent for the money, half the price of a Bridgestone or Goodyear over here.

Associate
Anyone had direct experience with Yokohama Advan Sport V105S? Searching this thread gibbo seems to rate them, I'm wondering what they're like mainly with noise + wet grip (Swansea is very wet all the time :( )

Back
Top Bottom