*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The free ships we'll get, will they be a one off?
i.e. if you get blown up by some pirate in the first 15 minutes of playing the ship is gone forever and you're back in a Sidewinder.

I think under the current system, if you have anything other than a sidewinder (say an eagle/cobra/viper) if you die and you don't have any cash the game gives you a loan to cover the insurance (max 200k), I think it's then repaid by taking 10% of anything you make in the game (selling stuff/getting rewards and stuff)

AFAIK.

Associate
Yeah. I lost my viper twice zoning into asteroids and dying instantly on one of the early 3.0x builds. Lost all my cash and nearly all the 200K loan system.

Unupgraded Cobras only cost about 6K to insure? Its all the upgrades that will set you back a 100K bill per f' up.

Decided to switch to an Eagle that I had stored rather than risk the viper again. But I hate having to run away from Player pirates in it :(

Soldato
Watched a vid earlier where the guy was using Voice Attack to control a lot of functions in the game. Going to have to try it as it seemed like it would be fun, and useful.

It's a match made in heaven to be honest... There's a lot of controls in ED and being able to off load most of them to voice control is perfect.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's great unless you use teamspeak :)

CH Pro Throttle removes the need for voice attack on any game for me so far, got more than enough binds.

Fair enough... Personally I find buttons (excuse the pun) a bind :)

I don't have to think what button to press to deploy a heat sink or a shield cell. I also don't have to waste a valuable thumb/hat switch on energy assignments either etc. I also couldn't program evasion manoeuvres and a continual "boost on" mode with it either :)

Soldato
Any ASP owners here? bought one last night for 6.6 Million after hammering the mining laser, loving it so far - nice big cockpit like a glass bubble (similar to the type-6) but with double the cargo capacity and plenty of firepower!

Associate
Any ASP owners here? bought one last night for 6.6 Million after hammering the mining laser, loving it so far - nice big cockpit like a glass bubble (similar to the type-6) but with double the cargo capacity and plenty of firepower!

Hi there, yes i am in an Asp thats worth 12.5m and mostly B rated upgrades, 160 ton cargo and 17ly laden, 22ly unladen jump capability.

Last night i fitted it out with 6x gimballed multicannons for raining nails fun in Eranin 2 combat zone and racked up 40 kills.

It is very similar to the Type 6 but much better in that it is a good all rounder.

Edit. The 6x gimballed multicannons can be fired constant with a B rated power plant and 4 pips to weapons.

I have about 4.5m credits and am gonna spend the rest of beta racking up kills.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there, yes i am in an Asp thats worth 12.5m and mostly B rated upgrades, 160 ton cargo and 17ly laden, 22ly unladen jump capability.

Last night i fitted it out with 6x gimballed multicannons for raining nails fun in Eranin 2 combat zone and racked up 40 kills.

It is very similar to the Type 6 but much better in that it is a good all rounder.

Edit. The 6x gimballed multicannons can be fired constant with a B rated power plant and 4 pips to weapons.

I have about 4.5m credits and am gonna spend the rest of beta racking up kills.

Nice, I doubt i'll have a chance to upgrade mine very much, considering we'll all get wiped next week ahead of gamma, but it does look like the ASP can pack some serious firepower,

Associate
Nice, I doubt i'll have a chance to upgrade mine very much, considering we'll all get wiped next week ahead of gamma, but it does look like the ASP can pack some serious firepower,

Hi, good dosh can be gained at 10 Canum Venaticorum-progenitor cells 1200 per ton profit > Gd 140- gold 800 per ton profit back to 10 Canum... again.

Upgrades for Asp can be purchased at Wolf 497.

See you out there Cmdrs

Soldato
Hi, good dosh can be gained at 10 Canum Venaticorum-progenitor cells 1200 per ton profit > Gd 140- gold 800 per ton profit back to 10 Canum... again.

Upgrades for Asp can be purchased at Wolf 497.

See you out there Cmdrs

Ta,

I had a good go at trading in a type 6, (but mostly in beta 2 when I started out and trading was nerfed) the most I was making was only about 500-600 profit per ton on crop harvesters and stuff,

I'll have to swing by Canum and haul some warez, :)

Soldato
Ta,

I had a good go at trading in a type 6, (but mostly in beta 2 when I started out and trading was nerfed) the most I was making was only about 500-600 profit per ton on crop harvesters and stuff,

I'll have to swing by Canum and haul some warez, :)

I think 600-1000 per ton is good going TBH? If you can much more than that I'd love to know where :)

Soldato
I think 600-1000 per ton is good going TBH? If you can much more than that I'd love to know where :)

In a type 6 - if you strip everything out you can get around 112 (that's with no shields) so you're talking around 60-80k profit on average per run, bearing in mind I can get around 500k for 90 minutes mining - I prefer mining :p

I heard that before beta 2 people were making 300-500k profit running gold, nevertheless - we'll see what it's like when it gets released, will be interesting to see how much you could make with a type-9 and it's 500+ cargo capacity..

Soldato
Well I've spent around 3-4 hours ingame now after failing spectacularly most of the later tutorials and it's superb!!!

I started off just doing simple courier missions for 600-1k back and forth and picking up some cheap goods to make small profits from. However, nearly all the money I was making I was having to pay fines for smashing into space stations and other stupid things :p

I did find a very lucrative run for 12k which was five jumps away, easy money for sure until the ****** client locked up and basically crashed 1 jump from completion meaning I failed and had a massive fine to pay :mad:

Love it though, it feels like Elite and the multiplayer side really adds depth and a sense of panic when you get interdicted. I need a good ship with plenty of cargo space to start earning those creds, what should I be aiming for ? cheers

Soldato
In a type 6 - if you strip everything out you can get around 112 (that's with no shields) so you're talking around 60-80k profit on average per run, bearing in mind I can get around 500k for 90 minutes mining - I prefer mining :p

I heard that before beta 2 people were making 300-500k profit running gold, nevertheless - we'll see what it's like when it gets released, will be interesting to see how much you could make with a type-9 and it's 500+ cargo capacity..

Didn't dare lose my shield generator in my Type 6. Felt too vunerable :)

Not tried mining... What ship did you kit up to mine with? I assume you need lots of space to hold what you refine?

Soldato
Didn't dare lose my shield generator in my Type 6. Felt too vunerable :)

Not tried mining... What ship did you kit up to mine with? I assume you need lots of space to hold what you refine?

Mining is fun!

My mining setup is;

Cobra
Class-2 mining laser (medium hard point)
5 bin refinery
2x 16 capacity cargo racks
1x 4x capacity cargo rack
(36 cargo capacity)

Basically, the idea is to look through the galaxy map at different systems and find rings/clusters with "metallic" as the ring type, you don't want "metal rich", metallic only.

Fly towards an asteroid fire the mining laser and chunks will fall off it, select them as target to see what they are, to make money you want the following resources in the following order;

Platinum (you can sell for around 19k per ton)
Palladium (you can sell for around 14k per ton)
Gold (you can sell for just shy of 10k per ton)

My normal yield is around 12 platinum, 15 palladium and 9 gold - which when sold is worth around 528k and will take around 90-120 mins to get.

Tips;

1,> Each asteroid will drop around 8-12 fragments of resource, if each fragment isn't more than 10% of any of the above 3 materials, leave it and move on.

2,> When the asteroid drops a fragment, you have to be reasonably quick to collect it - as it's integrity will reduce until it disappears (after a few minutes)

3,> Keep your refinery bins free of junk, focus on the above 3 metals (otherwise you'll end up burning lots of time for the sake of 5-10k)

4,> Mine with the light behind you so you can see all the asteroids, it gets a bit disorientating after 10-15 mins and it's difficult to know which asteroids you've already mined and those which are still fresh

5,> The whole thing is generated each time you fly in, so if you deplete one ring - simply supercruise out and back in again to do it all again, keep going until you have a cargo hold full of the above 3 metals

Coelrind is a good place to start, but you can find good reserves of platinum and palladium all over if you look!

:)

Soldato
I've been struggling to find teh class 4 cargo bays (16 bay) do you remember where you got them from ?

Oh god, you reminded me - I did spend quite a bit of time traipsing all over the place trying to find them...

It was a week or two ago, but I *think* it might have been Aulin enterprise..

Aside from that I can't remember, Aulin does tend to have a lot of good stuff though,

Soldato
Well I've worked out you can remove parts of your starter ship and add more cargo space all at the expense of your shields !! a massive whole 8 slots !!

Someone gave me a handy website http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ which gives you estimates of what goods to trade between destinations. I guess it beats the old trusty method of scrap paper and writing down prices :p !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom