Forgot how bad job searching was :(

Soldato
hmm, need to make a decision to leave the current place and go to new place or stay here.

current pluses -;

training budget
perm/past probation already

minuses -;

boring due to the fact that I've been put in a BAU team
underpaid by 8k ish
no pay review dates
really grinding every gear in my body lately..

new pluses -;

4k pay increase - still a little under market rate
promise to review pay after "trial period"
new team
new tools
loads of new things to learn and play with, should be fun!

minuses

probation, can't risk being without a job
still under market rate

I'm temped, but what would you do?

I'm a junior in the current place, with a promise to wipe the junior of my title and promote me, but no pay increase should be expected after "promotion". Would also be a junior in the new place..

current beefs are that I'm learning nothing new, don't get to ever work on new projects, do a lot of live releases, live site support etc on my own yet get paid the least out of the team, been here the longest too.. in my job if I stay on BAU I'm literally falling behind the "scene" and the longer I learn nothing the lower the chances of employment at the new places are!

so.. stay safe and continue grinding without motivation to work towards anything or leave and hopefully move up in world a bit?!

eh.. difficult to decide, if only the money was closer to the market rate in new place I'd be all over it, junior in the title doesn't bother me too much even If I do no junior tasks.

Last edited:
Soldato
How long have you been at your current place? If it's a few years, then I'd be jumping ship.

New challenges are always a good thing, plus you'll be getting paid more for the privilege. If your current company can't offer you (1) more money (2) new tasks to keep you engaged, then leave on good terms and keep in touch with them so you can return.

I reckon the thought of leaving something secure is daunting, but in the long term I'm sure it will pay off.

Soldato
Two years at the current place :) yes, I'm leaning towards the new place due to the fact that it would be good for me all around! Bar the risk factor, guess I'm over thinking that because you do need to be quite bad to fail the probation and I think if I put my head down and work I'll be fine!

Soldato
Minor update on the job (with the cover letter quoted) ;)

Just went to a company for a contract interview this morning - offered the job this afternoon. 3 month contract with the option of going perm after..

Now I have to decide if I open my bottle of Bolly RD 1997 or keep it another 3 months..

Hello again :D

After a few years of working contract, then going perm for a couple of years, one company acquisition later offering a brand new role - I've just been advised this morning that my role is at risk. In that time I've managed to find a Mrs, get married, bought a house. She just so happens to have been made redundant in June too. Still have that icky shock feeling from earlier today.

So this looks like I'm back on the job-seeking wagon.. time to dig out the CV, pep it up and start chasing asap..

The dumb bit is I have another bottle, after opening the old one back then, of Bolly RD 1997 from my 40th sat waiting..

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hello again :D

After a few years of working contract, then going perm for a couple of years, one company acquisition later offering a brand new role - I've just been advised this morning that my role is at risk. In that time I've managed to find a Mrs, get married, bought a house. She just so happens to have been made redundant in June too. Still have that icky shock feeling from earlier today.

So this looks like I'm back on the job-seeking wagon.. time to dig out the CV, pep it up and start chasing asap..

The dumb bit is I have another bottle, after opening the old one back then, of Bolly RD 1997 from my 40th sat waiting..

That sucks buddy, however assuming you now have a few years experience you'll soon grab something if you want it bud :)

Associate
Job hunting does indeed suck. I resorted to delivering pizzas to avoid the job centre. The money was terrible but still better than nothing, and it tends to be easier to find work if you can show you haven't been sat on your arse on benefits waiting for a job to drop in your lap.

On a positive note, recently landed a packaging reprographics contract until christmas and they now want to know if I'd be okay with 10-15 hours overtime a week on top. Have a meeting with management tomorrow as they've also asked if I'd be interested in a permanent placement, so fingers crossed.

Soldato
Grudas, what do you actually do? :p

devops/unix systems admin.

so, I accepted the offer at the other company, with a start day of 1st dec.

but I have a feeling that I'll get a counter offer from the current place, my notice has already been handed in.

what do you guys think of the counter offers? would you accept one? I've done some reading etc and it seems that accepting a counter offer is a bad idea, even if it's very tempting.

Soldato
Back in the middle of Oct I was put forward for role in London. The first stage went pretty well. Well enough to be invited for a second interview which took place last Friday.

I think the second interview was okay. Answered the questions to the best of my ability and I really liked the overall conversation.

What annoying now is that I want the job even more now. I was told that the final interview was held yesterday. So now I'm picking up my phone every 5 mins to check for missed calls and email lol.

Hope I receive an offer because I'm so bored right now it hurts.

Have also been put forward for a couple more roles. However, I don't have many holidays left so may have to delay the interviews until Jan..

Soldato
Good luck DAIR, I know that feeling.

I'm back in the search now, after finding my ideal job in aerospace materials testing industry, it seems the site I'm working at will be closing. Annoying, as this job pays very well and its in an area I want to move to.

It's all good though as I've had a call back about a great job earlier this week, hoping to hear about an interview now they have more info on me.

I also tracked down a former manager and asked him how things were going, and also let him know I'd work for him again if he was ever managing an aerospace lab again. He replied and asked for a discussion next week as he has something on the horizon, and is always keen to develop good people! :)

Caporegime
OP
Back in the middle of Oct I was put forward for role in London. The first stage went pretty well. Well enough to be invited for a second interview which took place last Friday.

I think the second interview was okay. Answered the questions to the best of my ability and I really liked the overall conversation.

What annoying now is that I want the job even more now. I was told that the final interview was held yesterday. So now I'm picking up my phone every 5 mins to check for missed calls and email lol.

Hope I receive an offer because I'm so bored right now it hurts.

Have also been put forward for a couple more roles. However, I don't have many holidays left so may have to delay the interviews until Jan..

My previous job allowed me to take time off solely for interviews. Paid and all.

Soldato
Well I have had a bit of a crazy last 4 months. Got made redundant at the end of July but got three months gardening leave which came to an end last month. Applied for lots of jobs but was getting nowhere, almost to the point of having a discussion with the missus about going back to university at the tender age of 38. She was well up for it but then her job finished (she was contracting and they pulled the plug) so I went back into the job market.

Anyway, I decided to chase up some old leads and also emailed an ex-manager at a Telecoms company I did some contracting work for three years ago, as I really enjoyed the job. I have worked in finance all of my life, mainly in banking (business/ corporate relationship management) so the gig in telecoms I did was well out of my line of work, but I loved it as I was dealing in fraud prevention. She emailed me back and said there were a couple of roles coming up and then emailed me a week later with the links to apply.

I applied just shy of three months ago and heard nothing and since then I have been offered a contracting role on a project for my last employer, with double my previous salary. Start in one week. :D

Just to stick a spanner in the works, two weeks ago, someone from the HR dept of the telecoms company emailed me for a chat about he role I applied for three months ago and I basically told them my situation. They rushed through an interview which I had on Thursday just gone which went very well.

My concern is that they may well offer me a job as well but I told them I needed to know asap as I start my new job in one week.

If they do offer me the job I will be very happy, but have to weigh up the benefits of both as the contracting role is offering a fairly higher salary (about 25%) but of course comes with none of the perks. The commute is also a doodle but the telecoms company is a bit of a pain, but it is full time and the role holds far more interest to me.

I can't really moan though as it is a lovely position to be in, just the timing is bad.

4 months at home has been hell as well.

Man of Honour
I applied just shy of three months ago and heard nothing and since then I have been offered a contracting role on a project for my last employer, with double my previous salary. Start in one week. :D

Congratulations on the new job. I might have missed it but how long is the contract for? If you do get offered the telecoms role then could you contract for a few months then move on? It might be worth investigating whether you can do one then the other slightly further down the line.

Soldato
Congratulations on the new job. I might have missed it but how long is the contract for? If you do get offered the telecoms role then could you contract for a few months then move on? It might be worth investigating whether you can do one then the other slightly further down the line.

Thanks. Contract is for 12 months+ so is decent.

Problem is that the telecoms company need someone soon, as I heard after the interview they were all heading out for the person who I would be replacing leaving drinks.

Just going to have to wait and see.

Soldato
My previous job allowed me to take time off solely for interviews. Paid and all.

Lol that's pretty cool. Never heard of such a thing happening!

Anyway I found out on Friday afternoon that they offered me the position.

Today I decided that I place to sacrifice my fairly laid back working arrangement (my commute is a 20 min walk in each direction). So in up to three months time I'll be working bang in the middle of London again lol. I'm really looking forward to the commute!

Shall hand in the THREE month notice when I receive the contracts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ever since I left school I have been doing warehouse/factory type work aside from a job I got through friends that worked there, doing telesales and some other basic office duties. That was 3 years ago and lasted for 1 year until I was made redundant.

I really dislike warehouse and factory jobs and have been trying to land myself any sort of office job (except cold calling, telesales) but have had no luck whatsoever. Just seems that unless you've had a mass of experience, and very recently, they aren't interested. Any tips?

Associate
Lol that's pretty cool. Never heard of such a thing happening!

Anyway I found out on Friday afternoon that they offered me the position.

Today I decided that I place to sacrifice my fairly laid back working arrangement (my commute is a 20 min walk in each direction). So in up to three months time I'll be working bang in the middle of London again lol. I'm really looking forward to the commute!

Shall hand in the THREE month notice when I receive the contracts.

Congratulations. Hope you enjoy the new job

Back
Top Bottom