My mind was just blown - Quantum Physicists in here please

Soldato
I hate this sort of analogy. It's rubbish of course it does. Problem with quantum theory is the theory and experimental data make no sense when applied to the real world of me eating my porridge at 7am with a coffee.

Maybe if you achieved more than 3 hours sleep it might all click into place for you?

Associate
It's wrong. Observing the event does not change the result.

It has never been proven. There is what we can see when the experiment is observed and that is one result. Then when the experiment is not observed we don't know the result. So there is nothing different happening.

It's like Toy Story. The toys only come alive when no one can see them. But in real life people don't think their toys come alive when they go out of the room.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think the most succinct description is one I just came across "Nothing is real until it has been observed". We are wandering (obviously) into Schrodinger's Cat territory (how advanced was he?!?).

In fact I will just quote:

It's a quantum take on the philosophical Idea called Solipsism. With Solipsism the only thing we can be sure exists is our own mind as everything else may be a construct of that mind.

I find understanding these things to be relatively simple, however explaining them to others is indecipherable difficult.

Soldato
Many view it in far more simple terms, it just means that for some aspects the results can't be known in observation.

It's quantum uncertainty principle, the who 'does it exist' thing is a extension into philosophy with no real base.

"This ascribes the uncertainty in the measurable quantities to the jolt-like disturbance triggered by the act of observation. Though widely repeated in textbooks, this physical argument is now known to be fundamentally misleading.

While the act of measurement does lead to uncertainty, the loss of precision is less than that predicted by Heisenberg's argument; the formal mathematical result remains valid, however."

From Einstein.

"the problems inherent to the uncertainly principle lay in the measuring not in the "uncertainty" of physics" - puts it well.

Or from Feynman,

"In the beginning of the history of experimental observation, or any other kind of observation on scientific things, it is intuition, which is really based on simple experience with everyday objects, that suggests reasonable explanations for things. But as we try to widen and make more consistent our description of what we see, as it gets wider and wider and we see a greater range of phenomena, the explanations become what we call laws instead of simple explanations. One odd characteristic is that they often seem to become more and more unreasonable and more and more intuitively far from obvious. To take an example, in the relativity theory the proposition is that if you think two things occur at the same time that is just your opinion, someone else could conclude that of those events one was before the other, and that therefore simultaneity is merely a subjective impression."

http://www.informationphilosopher.com/solutions/scientists/feynman/probability_and_uncertainty.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Can we still not explain this? Is there anyway to exploit this behavior even if we don't understand it? I am slightly disturbed by the whole being able to change the "past" aspect of the whole thing!

Nobody can explain it, and there's a chance nobody will ever be able to explain it, because it's a different ballgame to what we're used to doing.

Trying to understand quantum mechanics from youtube videos with no background in physics is going to destroy you :p I've read a lot of physics, (mostly classical) if you can make it through the first volume of the Feynman lectures on physics then maybe in after a few years of study and hard work you'll begin to get a flavour for it.

If you can't, just sit back and admire nature - don't let it worry you that we can't explain everything

Soldato
I don't like the copengagen interpretation at all, I much prefer the Broglie–Bohm interpretation which says that all particles are point like, guided by a waveform. It means that measurement and collapsing are no longer big challenges and is simpler conceptually.

Recently a version of the double slit experiment was undertaken using a crystal as the slits instead of the standard piece of card/metal. This allowed the scientists to track the photons through the crystal by measuring the interference of the photon on the surrounding latice. The pathways were as predicted by the Broglie–Bohm interpretation.

Associate
When you sleep does the world cease to exist. Do things you cannot see not exist until you look at them? No. That would mean everyone else is lying to you or you are in a computer game or something.

All this comes from mental illness and people being delusional. Schrodinger knew this and people believed him and putting cats in boxes is being cruel to animals.

The cat isn't alive and dead because no one can see it.

The light going through the slits isn't a wave and a particle, it is a wave made of particles.

Soldato
i stopped reading about quantum physics on the internet years ago - its 99% idiots who don't know what their talking about and misinterpret the theories to come up with 'cool' stories - and don't get me started on Brian Cox!

Associate
It's a quantum take on the philosophical Idea called Solipsism. With Solipsism the only thing we can be sure exists is our own mind as everything else may be a construct of that mind.

I find understanding these things to be relatively simple, however explaining them to others is indecipherable difficult.

Beaten to it!

Associate
Originally Posted by http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Quantum mechanics.htm
Nothing is real until it has been observed! This clearly needs thinking about. Are we really saying that in the 'real' world - outside of the laboratory - that until a thing has been observed it doesn't exist? This is precisely what the Copenhagen Interpretation is telling us about reality. This has caused some very well respected cosmologists (Stephen Hawking for one) to worry that this implies that there must actually be something 'outside' the universe to look at the universe as a whole and collapse its overall wave function. John Wheeler puts forward an argument that it is only the presence of conscious observers, in the form of ourselves, that has collapsed the wave function and made the universe exist. If we take this to be true, then the universe only exists because we are looking at it. As this is heading into very deep water I think we will have to leave it there and move on to the next experiment.

The all seeing eye of Osiris! the Egyptians knew it :p

Perhaps this is just natures Draw Distance & LOD clipping ?

Wise Guy
Soldato
If you have a few months of free time look into holographic principle and information theory. It becomes a lot more intuitive when you think in terms of the universe being finite and discrete with probability wave functions on the "holographic" layer and entropic bit states collapsed out of it on the 3d (or 4d really if you inclue time) realm we experience.

In other words imagine time is removed from the universe and everything that ever "existed" is there at once. Now represent it as pure information (interpreted as wave functions) and store it on a meta layer. Now turn time back on and realize that we are experiencing entropy coherent discrete bit states unfolding out of those meta waves.

Back
Top Bottom