Do I need to upgrade any components?

Associate
Hi, unsure what forum to ask this in so first of all PC specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.8ghz
8.0GB ram
Nvidia GeForce GTS 240
1.75 TB hard drive

I play Civilization 5 (medium settings) on the PC quite regularly, now approx 1-2hrs into gameplay the PC goes from being quite silent in operation to quite loud and the game itself starts to slows down. I am assuming this is the graphics card struggling. My question is can I improve this, should I upgrade graphics card or any other component, should I look to maybe improve the cooling within the PC or is this just inevitable that this will happen.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Upgrade the GPU for certain and overclock your CPU and get a good cooler for it if you haven't already. I'd also make sure your PSU is a good quality one with enough wattage before doing either of the above. As for the hard drive, I'm guessing you mean 1TB or 1.5TB?

All depends on your budget though. If you provide this then I'm sure one of us here will be able to advise further :)

Soldato
Different graphics cards have louder or quieter cooling solutions. In general, cards from partners (MSI, Saphire, Gigabyte, etc.) have quieter coolers than the reference design (Nvidia/AMD).

The 240 you've got is old, slow, and hot, so not too surprising it's noisy. As Nocky24 says, state a budget.

Associate
Quick googling suggests up to 10.5" card would fit. The PSU would actually be OK considering the GTX 970 is rated at 145W compared to the 120W of the GTS 240.

Man of Honour
Quick googling suggests up to 10.5" card would fit. The PSU would actually be OK considering the GTX 970 is rated at 145W compared to the 120W of the GTS 240.

op uses a dell. their mobos run a custom bios which will not overclock, nor will it accept a gpu other than on its whitelist

Caporegime
keep the chip,throw the rest away:D

try gpu first and an ssd,they can be carried over to new setup anyway,the bios's should be fairly flexable,even my old Pentium 4 didn't throw a hissyfit when u plugged in a modern gpu

pity you couldn't pickup a cheap p55 mb,then you can oc

Man of Honour
So i should probably get in touch with dell and find out what graphics card the 8100 will take?

nah. no point. even if they still stock the cards, they'll charge you exorbitant prices for cards that are a few years old and now considered low-end

tbh, if your pc is running satisfactorily for you now, just keep hold of it a do a new custom build when you wanna upgrade.
if it's just the noise you're concerned about, open the case and blow all the dust out.

Back
Top Bottom