Installed a switch with Superhub now get rubbish pings?

Soldato
Hi there,

So my lodger wanted a wired connection and all the ports on the Virgin Superhub were full so I bought one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-051-TP&groupid=46&catid=2316

All installed fine and internet works etc but when I am in BF4 my ping has hit over 100! It never used to be this bad and a reset of the router used to fix it if it started doing high pings.

So all I can think is its the switch? I have even plugged my pc back into the superhub and no luck my ping is still high. I will try unplugging the switch and see if this is the problem, but is there anything I can do about this?

Soldato
Try without the switch.

What you will likely find is that your lodger now has full unrestricted bandwidth to the router to suck up bandwidth to the outside world (internet)

I imagine if he was on wireless before that was acting as an indirect bandwidth cap.

Soldato
The switch wouldn't cause the high pings you are experincing, as the reversal of what you did showed. A red herring.

Worth mentioning that the switch you bought is quite slow (bandwidth wise, not latency wise) at only 100mbps vs the gigabit switches which are available. If you have a 152mbit Virgin Media connection, you won't see the full speed on any devices that are connected to that switch. Also, any file transfers from devices on that switch will take an age to complete in comparison.

Soldato
OP
Ok fair enough he has a PS 3, PC and laptop attached to the switch. Is there a way to limit his bandwidth? And I actually have my pc plugged directly into the Superhub so should be ok I would think for bandwidth? Funnily enough just after posting my ping in game dropped back to normal so prehaps the lodger was downloading something.

Soldato
And I actually have my pc plugged directly into the Superhub so should be ok I would think for bandwidth?

Makes no difference. A consumer router "out of the box" will not apply ANY priority to any port, device or otherwise. It's a free for all.

You can do port based priority, but not with a consumer router.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the info guys its much appreciated.

So I'm coming to the conclusion that getting a router maybe a good idea and put the Superhub into modem mode. Now I saw this router that has QOS but have no idea if it's any good:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-050-AS&groupid=46&catid=1596

So if I get this and then plug in the switch with the lodgers pc plugged into this and my pc plugged directly into the router and then setup the QOS would this then sort the problem out?

If that router is rubbish is there another router for a similar price which would do what I need?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
He is using Netflix which is fair enough as he doesn't have TV/Cable in his room. Thus I am assuming it is grabbing as much bandwidth as it can to stream the movies/tv shows. So if I could limit it as he doesn't need the full 150mb download speed of the Virgin connection for that!

Soldato
have you considered that if your ping rtt went up for a bit and came back down that there was a problem somewhere out on the internet which routed your traffic differently for a while?

Don
do this..

on your mahcine

open a cmd window

type..

ping -t 8.8.8.8

Now connect his devices when they're 'idle' see if it changes. Might be spyware infested.

Test with Netflix, on a decent connection, it should handle it fine.. I'd stick to a gigabit switch tbh, especially if your connection is over 100 meg.

Soldato
OP
So I am going to buy the Asus rt-n65u router. But I just wanted to check if this would work. So I am going to plug my PC directly into the asus router and then have the lodger's PC etc plugged into the switch and then the switch into the router. Now would I get full or better use of the bandwidth because I am plugged into the router?

I will also setup the QOS on the router too, I just would prefer to not have to return the switch is all seeing as the router is a gigabit switch.

Soldato
OP
do this..

on your mahcine

open a cmd window

type..

ping -t 8.8.8.8

Now connect his devices when they're 'idle' see if it changes. Might be spyware infested.

Test with Netflix, on a decent connection, it should handle it fine.. I'd stick to a gigabit switch tbh, especially if your connection is over 100 meg.

I tried this and the lodger said he wasn't using Netflix and I do get a reply from the ping but I also get a lot of request time outs too??

Don
you should never get any timeouts.

before buying anything.

run ping test with just you connected directly to router.
now add switch, with you connected to switch, ping test.

may be a duff cable somewhere.

not using powerline adapters are you?

Give as much info as you can, so we don't have to drag it out post by post..

Back
Top Bottom