How much of your earnings do you save?

Associate
A little over 25%(when its not coming up to Christmas), at the moment I save nothing. Come January I will start saving again. I'm 30.

Soldato
I'm 23 and save over £1000 per month. I live by myself and don't have a car.
I'm going to be using some of the savings for investments soon to make the money grow.

Caporegime
I don't really religiously save/put a set amount in a savings account. I just keep everything in my 123 Santander account for now (gf and I just bought our own place so don't have much savings left!) Probably have about 40% disposable left after all bills,mortgage,travel costs etc so unless I spend much it builds up....slowly :p

I know what my outgoings are and generally know how much spare a month I have to justify the odd luxury or two.

Soldato
Out of my monthly salary I probably save between £500-£600 maybe more if the overtime has been good however once I transfer across, sometimes I take £100-£200 back out if I find something I want to buy that month and I dont have enough through my general spend budget allocation for that month, I will take it out of savings.

Otherwise I will transfer it and thats it it stays there

Pension wise my company pay £65 per month contributions, and I pay around £25 totalling around £90 per month but I need to raise that at some point

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a DD set up to transfer £750 into savings/month. Sometimes I may dip into that though if we have a last minute weekend away or some other extravagance...
Currently looking into either paying slightly more on the mortgage or into the pension although I am leaning towards the mortgage...

Associate
Whatever I don't spend? Normally about 50-75%. Not sure I exactly "save" it though, I just put it in my 3% interest current account and watch it grow each month. Have "saved" a significant amount this way.

Soldato
0%. I only save to buy something specific. I balance that against the fact I have no mortgage, and no debts, which is better than 10 years ago when I owed 40k...
I'm 49, and after nearly dying last Christmas money doesn't seem so important anymore! :p

Associate
I'm 38.
Just under 10% goes straight to savings account.
Overpay mortgage by minimum of 15% a month.
Spare cash in my account gets transferred to my "toys" account every few months but I suppose that doesn't count.
Also pay into pension ~6% I think
My second job income doesn't get touched and will pay towards my garage/extension when I get round to it.

Soldato
I have no idea, I let the GF control the financial side of things as she is more frugal than me, I'd blow it all on beer & takeaways!

Back
Top Bottom