Your current Fish tank Setups!

Associate
So downgrading from my old old 4ft tank for a nice Juwel Vision 180 (black) which Im picking up tomorrow. Quite excited as it will look way smarter than my current one Ill post pics once its up and running.

Unsure what to do with my 4ft one as its pretty old and the previous owners didnt take good care of it.

Caporegime
Unsure what to do with my 4ft one as its pretty old and the previous owners didnt take good care of it.

Probably a little too large to be ideally used for the following, but my first thoughts were that you could set it aside as a quarantine / breeding tank, or alternatively, you could just have a different set up from the 180 litre. Maybe sub tropical or brackish?

Last edited:
Soldato
Really ****ed off now.

I did a massive clean up of the tank yesterday and the day before hoping to get rid of any ich spores that may have been left over. Today my sword tale that I have had since buying the tank is now covered in ich...

I have a done some reading but all the sites give different kind of information to solve the problem. Anyone here had the problem and dealt with it without any fish dying? If so, tell me what you did please.

I have got the tank warming up now. What is it I should be gettin it to? 28 degrees? Any decent treatments you guys have used?

Bloody fish store....

To the guy asking if I have a quarantine tank, yes, a 20ltr tank but I turned it off after not having to use it for a long time. Been up and running a week and half now so not even cycled... Pretty useless now really.

Associate
Really ****ed off now.

I did a massive clean up of the tank yesterday and the day before hoping to get rid of any ich spores that may have been left over. Today my sword tale that I have had since buying the tank is now covered in ich...

I have a done some reading but all the sites give different kind of information to solve the problem. Anyone here had the problem and dealt with it without any fish dying? If so, tell me what you did please.

I have got the tank warming up now. What is it I should be gettin it to? 28 degrees? Any decent treatments you guys have used?

Wouldn't get too concerned. Pretty straight forward treatment wise, in most cases anyway.

We use "Protozin" at work. Made by Waterlife. Brilliant stuff, works every time. Some people tend to turn up the temperature and add alittle salt, not sure if that's what you've read, but we generally just use medication.

Caporegime
I would up your tank temperature towards the 28 degree mark (as you're doing) and treat the tank with Seachem Paraguard.

If you are nervous about adding meds, then you can do one hour dips with it, although it's perfectly safe to treat the aquarium.

Also, if you treat the aquarium, make sure to remove any carbon from the filter as it removes meds.

Associate
i'm running a vision 180 i think it's 3ft wide bow fronted. it's running a fluval 305 room temperature, but never above 20 deg c. i use ice bottles or ice cubes if need be. it hasn't got fish or turtles in there. there's 4 in there. anyone want to guess what i've got before i ask advice on where to get a particular live food they love?

Caporegime
i'm running a vision 180 i think it's 3ft wide bow fronted. it's running a fluval 305 room temperature, but never above 20 deg c. i use ice bottles or ice cubes if need be. it hasn't got fish or turtles in there. there's 4 in there. anyone want to guess what i've got before i ask advice on where to get a particular live food they love?

Axolotl?

Associate

yeah, 4 of them. one leucistic, one albino and 2 wild type. had them all from about an inch long now they are 4 years old the biggest is at least a foot.

the live food they love is river shrimp or sometimes called ghost shrimp. i can get 300-500 for £20 just wondered if theres anywhere online as i have to order them special from my local aquatics store and wait a week for them. one lot of them lasts about a week. i also feed them pellets, live morio mealworms and occasionally strips of ham or turkey.

heres the leucistic and albino last year when i introduced the jeuviniles to their new friends:

and the 2 younger ones when id had them a couple of weeks. kept in their own tank until about 6 inches:

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting an external filter for my Juwel Rio 180, any recommendations?

I have been looking at the Fluval 406 and the Eheim Professional 3 2075.

Fluval comes with media and no spray bar and is far cheaper.

Eheim may be a bit too powerful for my tank and does not come with media. It's also much more expensive.

I would be looking at adding an external heater also in the near future.

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting an external filter for my Juwel Rio 180, any recommendations?

I have been looking at the Fluval 406 and the Eheim Professional 3 2075.

Fluval comes with media and no spray bar and is far cheaper.

Eheim may be a bit too powerful for my tank and does not come with media. It's also much more expensive.

I would be looking at adding an external heater also in the near future.

Eheim are generally accepted as the pumps with the best build quality.
The 2075 has the electronic pump that you can slow down to a speed that suits you though, just something to bear in mind :)

Soldato
Really ****ed off now.

Bloody fish store....

To the guy asking if I have a quarantine tank, yes, a 20ltr tank but I turned it off after not having to use it for a long time. Been up and running a week and half now so not even cycled... Pretty useless now really.

The method that has ALWAYS worked for me.
quarantine tank
higher temp
aquatic salt.
daily 20-40% water changes

occasionally needed protozin just to help as well but mostly salt, heat and water changes kills it.

As for 2nd tank not being cycled, what I do in that case is.
1 - rob a bit of substrate from main tank
2 - rob an ornament from main tank
3 - if I don't have a ready cycled filter spare I steal cycled media from one of the pumps in the main tank.
4 - take enough water from main tank to fill 50% of spare tank

from there you will have a cycled tank and won't have to wait.

The only difference is you might not have enough spare kit to do that, I make sure I keep enough spare kit around to get my quarantine tank running within an hour or so whenever I need it :)

Soldato
i was just about to say the same. ive got a vision 180 using a 305. you can get a spray bar seperate tho.

I'm using a 305 in a 180L Fluval. Upgraded from the included 205 after it sprang a leak as the 305 is a straight swap on pre-fitted plumbing in the tank and was only a tenner more. Needs cleaning far less regularly than the 205, and the flow is slightly higher.

Soldato
Eheim are generally accepted as the pumps with the best build quality.
The 2075 has the electronic pump that you can slow down to a speed that suits you though, just something to bear in mind :)

The fancy e version is out of my price range unfortunately, as is the fluval G3/6

The 306 is looking like the contender then, can pick it up with the spray bar for under £100. What would I need to hook it up to a hydor external heater? The ribbed tubing does not look like it would be compatible on the compression fittings.

Anything else to consider?

Associate
I'm using a 305 in a 180L Fluval. Upgraded from the included 205 after it sprang a leak as the 305 is a straight swap on pre-fitted plumbing in the tank and was only a tenner more. Needs cleaning far less regularly than the 205, and the flow is slightly higher.

i used to have a 80l bow fronted tank with a 105. it wasnt quite up to the job of the 180. the 105 and 205 have smaller diameter pipe than the 305 and 405 but im using my 105 pipes as the brackets that clamp them to the side of the tank didnt come with the 305 and the pipes were too big for the 105 ones so i just used the connector with the stop tap and pipes from the 105. reminds me its water change/filter cleaning time tomorrow.

ive never had an ammonia reading above 0 in 4 years, with the 105 and 4 axalotls the nitrate got high but the 305 keeps it perfect. i clean the foams once a month even tho they are always clean apart from a few mealworm shells and change the fine filter water polishing media at the same time. i renew the bag of carbon every 3 months and change half the bio ceramic rings every 6 months. i have to top the water up once a week my air con de humidifies that much the water level in the tank goes down about an inch a week.

Associate
Had a clean, red fins having fun.

IMG_7869.jpg

IMG_7864.jpg

Fluval clearmax filter seems to do a good job!

Back
Top Bottom