right now, what do you think you need to make you more happy?

Thug
Soldato
A reddit AMA that isn't there for the sake of promoting the latest book/movie/TV show due to come out but is instead actually due to the author doing it for their fans :rolleyes:

I've noticed this a few times myself. Then again I surf reddit so rarely. The people that comprise that site are by and large the sort of people that the world doesn't need.

Soldato
Move in with my gf of 6 years, different career locations (due to their reqs) makes it difficult, but think we've found a way. It's all I really want right now, everything else is way behind that.

Soldato
A career as opposed to a job. Nobody is willing to give me a chance in accounting so far, I desperately want to get out of a retail job.

Well, got offered a job today. Amazing really. It's only call centre work but;

8-5 monday-friday, saturdays as overtime if I want, 40 hours a week contract, slightly better pay than I'm currently on and part of a growing energy firm who will make the job permanent after 12 weeks with a pay rise.

Up yours retail work :D

Permabanned
Finance.

It's not that I don't appreciate what I've got, I get down on my knees every night for what I have been given, it's just that I know that however much money I make, that I won't actually have made an impact or helped anyone.

The problem is, that the job is prestigious, it makes my parents happy, I'm saving money and living life, and every day of this makes it "that" much harder to think of an alternative.

Firstworldproblems.jpg

How does any of that stop you helping someone?

Thug
Soldato
How does any of that stop you helping someone?

Because like the parable of the talents, I don't actually think I'm doing myself or others justice.

I volunteer a lot with SVP (and get contributions from my work to make it even more useful), but it doesn't change the niggling feeling inside.

I'm sure a few more months of work will cure me, and maybe I'll buy into the hedonistic culture of me me me. :)

Thug
Soldato
Well, got offered a job today. Amazing really. It's only call centre work but;

8-5 monday-friday, saturdays as overtime if I want, 40 hours a week contract, slightly better pay than I'm currently on and part of a growing energy firm who will make the job permanent after 12 weeks with a pay rise.

Up yours retail work :D

Congratulations! :)

Keep learning at home though, and keep your eyes on accounting if that's what you'd like to go into.

Permabanned
:(
Because like the parable of the talents, I don't actually think I'm doing myself or others justice.

I volunteer a lot with SVP (and get contributions from my work to make it even more useful), but it doesn't change the niggling feeling inside.

I'm sure a few more months of work will cure me, and maybe I'll buy into the hedonistic culture of me me me. :)

Don't let your job define you.

Soldato
I'd probably go with health and wealth.

The older you get and more responsible you are for others, wife/kids/house etc the more stress your finances can be. I'd like to live without that stress.

Soldato
You know that little enthusiastic spark you're supposed to get when you learn something interesting or when you feel like you're making progress on something? Having that again would be cool.
Try a few different things, set some basic goals (to get to a certain level of competency at a given field).

I was surprised as to how much enthusiasm I had at modding (Idly tried it for Rome 2 to make a single unit) - 14 mods, countless units & being a contributor to the most popular mod in the game later....

Experiment with variety, it may just be that you need to find that something you can really get your hooks into.

Soldato

I'll definitely still be on the lookout for accounting jobs, I probably need further qualifications to even be considered though.

Congrats mate. Now you can plow more money into Betting!

What qualifications do you have? Whilst it may not help I've got a lot of my old ACCA books if you wanted them? I know Kaplan charge a small fortune for them.

Soldato
Congrats mate. Now you can plow more money into Betting!

What qualifications do you have? Whilst it may not help I've got a lot of my old ACCA books if you wanted them? I know Kaplan charge a small fortune for them.

Very kind of you to offer those, really appreciate that :)

I've done AAT level 2 and plan to do level 3 at some point, had to put it all on hold because of moving. Too many uncertainties around income as my job was only 25 contracted hours a week and having a house to pay for comes first!

As for betting? I have a program called GamBlock installed so I can't do it any more. The temptation was always there. £35 invested in that will probably save me more in the long term. I got into way too much debt in my younger years doing it, finally got that all sorted so I am NOT going back there :) - that's why I left the Facebook group, don't want to have anything to do with it. Decent bunch of people in that group but I must keep myself away now.

Soldato
Very kind of you to offer those, really appreciate that :)

I've done AAT level 2 and plan to do level 3 at some point, had to put it all on hold because of moving. Too many uncertainties around income as my job was only 25 contracted hours a week and having a house to pay for comes first!

As for betting? I have a program called GamBlock installed so I can't do it any more. The temptation was always there. £35 invested in that will probably save me more in the long term. I got into way too much debt in my younger years doing it, finally got that all sorted so I am NOT going back there :) - that's why I left the Facebook group, don't want to have anything to do with it. Decent bunch of people in that group but I must keep myself away now.

It's alright mate, i'll get a box for them all and it'd probably be about £8 for a courier. Funnily enough I've been talking about throwing them all out. They are more of the later courses though as the lower ones I've already thrown out.

I'm surprised you've struggled to find anything given you've already started. There's a website called opentuition.org Might be worth looking on there and trying to take the exams yourself?

Good call on Gamblock in that case, didn't realise you'd left the group although I remember you mentioning that you were stepping away for a month.

Back
Top Bottom