Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
Expect around the Focus RS cost level as that's the target market. They did the free track days with EP3s too.

AFAIK it wasn't track days, it was a days tutoring on the road, I forgot the scheme name exactly.

I bought two brand new EP3s and that's all I was offered both times.

Soldato
Wild speculation of course, but given how expensive the rest of the range is I believe it'll be low to mid 30's. Even at that they are entering a price bracket where the car just can't compete. I agree they're aiming for an RS type level, but the type R just doesn't sit at that level in the range for many people. £40k+ would be commercial suicide

I really hope I'm wrong and they somehow keep it under £30k otr, but its really unlikely.

What could help it is some golf R style lease deals though

Soldato
I was about to say, wasn't the EP3 Type R about £16k.

I remember those days. Fiesta ST150 ~£12k, Clio 182 ~£12k. Granted, both through Broadspeed, but the price of cars now feels slightly mad. It was only 10 years ago !

Soldato
One of the key features of the last good type r was the price £16000. I know its been years but even at £30000 its dear for a hot hatch.

Inflation and stuff.

"The survey results show that since April 2000, average annual pay for full-time workers has risen by 40%, from £18,848 to £26,500.

In that time, inflation, as measured by changes in the retail prices index, has gone up by 43%."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20442666 [2012 study]

43% in 12 years and almost matched with wages (40%).

How much was an FN2 when they were released? 20k in 2007? In 7 years prices have probably risen by 25% - so 30k seems a little high but considering how much better it is/will be I think it's justifiable.

Same with the EP3 being 16/17k on release. As per the study above an EP3 ('02/03 model) now would be approximately 17k x 1.4 = £24kish.

Soldato
RPI from 2007 to current day is only about 14% so the numbers don't stack up. Pre 2008 it was bonkers, but we've been in a steady state / slow climb since.

Soldato
Couldn't (quickly) find a decent graph. Even still, 15% on top of however much the FN2 was in 2007 (20k?) probably means that the next Civic should be starting around (in 2015) the 24k mark by inflation alone. The new Civic will hopefully be in another league performance / interior etc wise so I think 28k-30k is a decent price.

Hopefully it's good enough to compete with the German whips currently available for similar cash.

Associate
Decided to refurbish my head lights as they were looking a bit cloudy!

Before

After

also decided to refurbish my alloy center caps as they were starting to bubble and look crap got no before pic though!

click pics for larger image!

Soldato
Decided to refurbish my head lights as they were looking a bit cloudy!

Looking good! What did you use for the headlights? I've heard toothpaste is good... mine need doing at some stage. Getting some condensation in one of them too, a new one is extortionate so need to investigate sealing it somehow.

At £30k a Civic Type R sounds expensive, even if it is a beast. I suppose this is the going rate for a hot hatch these days. Are they releasing a warm version too?

Back
Top Bottom