Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Still a good deal considering XXL broadband and XL TV is £75 a month otherwise.

TP-Link WDR3600 turned up a couple hours ago, now running the latest DD-WRT release and so far more stable and a better signal.

Associate
Still a good deal considering XXL broadband and XL TV is £75 a month otherwise.

TP-Link WDR3600 turned up a couple hours ago, now running the latest DD-WRT release and so far more stable and a better signal.

Do you flash the router with the "Webflash image for first installation" and that is the firmware installed or do I need to install another?

Routers running stock firmware.

Soldato
Is it a WDR3600?

I would decide first whether you really want to try dd-wrt. It appears there is no easy way of going back to stock firmware if you don't like it (I did manage to get back to TP-Link firmware but for some reason the WAN wasn't working, so I'm now stuck back on dd-wrt, other branded routers are apparently much easier to revert). Just managed to get mine back to the TP-Link firmware. It was apparently an issue with the Superhub 2 and MAC addresses. Just took a few resets and restarts on both the router and superhub 2 to get it working again.

I updated the stock firmware to the latest stock firmware from TP-Link (apparently it adds a recovery mode that can be used via tftp), then upgraded the firmware using the 'factory-to-ddwrt.bin' from here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-11-2014-r25309/tplink_tl-wdr3600v1/

You then use the 'tl-wdr3600-webflash.bin' files whenever you're updating to the newest release from a previous dd-wrt release. r25309 seems quite stable so far, haven't found anything that doesn't work. r23919 is apparently another good one. Don't use r24461.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
New Virgin Media 1300Mbps WiFi SuperHub 2AC Router Leaking Out

As reported before the new SuperHub (VMDG490) appears to be based off a modified version of NetGear’s own kit (C6250 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Gateway), complete with Virgin’s custom styling and firmware etc. But rather than describe this as the SuperHub 3, as we initially did, it’s probably more accurate to call it a SuperHub 2AC, since the addition of 1000Mbps+ capable 802.11ac WiFi appears to be the main difference.

Virgin’s business division already has a document for what seems to be a virtually identical router (here), although officially the top kit for Virgin Media’s residential focused division is still their vanilla SuperHub 2 that sports the last generation of 802.11n WiFi technology at 2.4GHz (Qualcom Atheros AR9344 – up to 300Mbps) and 5GHz (Qualcomm Atheros AR9580 – up to 450Mbps).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...mbps-ac-wifi-superhub-cable-router-leaks.html

Associate
Is it a WDR3600?

I would decide first whether you really want to try dd-wrt. It appears there is no easy way of going back to stock firmware if you don't like it (I did manage to get back to TP-Link firmware but for some reason the WAN wasn't working, so I'm now stuck back on dd-wrt, other branded routers are apparently much easier to revert). Just managed to get mine back to the TP-Link firmware. It was apparently an issue with the Superhub 2 and MAC addresses. Just took a few resets and restarts on both the router and superhub 2 to get it working again.

I updated the stock firmware to the latest stock firmware from TP-Link (apparently it adds a recovery mode that can be used via tftp), then upgraded the firmware using the 'factory-to-ddwrt.bin' from here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-11-2014-r25309/tplink_tl-wdr3600v1/

You then use the 'tl-wdr3600-webflash.bin' files whenever you're updating to the newest release from a previous dd-wrt release. r25309 seems quite stable so far, haven't found anything that doesn't work. r23919 is apparently another good one. Don't use r24461.

Nice 1 mate, yeah the same router. Router is temp for now as having some problems with connection which I think is my Asus router at fault.

Have used DD-WRT before on a linksys router which was simple to install.

Will give it a try later on tonight.

Last edited:
Associate
New Virgin Media 1300Mbps WiFi SuperHub 2AC Router Leaking Out

As reported before the new SuperHub (VMDG490) appears to be based off a modified version of NetGear’s own kit (C6250 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Gateway), complete with Virgin’s custom styling and firmware etc. But rather than describe this as the SuperHub 3, as we initially did, it’s probably more accurate to call it a SuperHub 2AC, since the addition of 1000Mbps+ capable 802.11ac WiFi appears to be the main difference.

Virgin’s business division already has a document for what seems to be a virtually identical router (here), although officially the top kit for Virgin Media’s residential focused division is still their vanilla SuperHub 2 that sports the last generation of 802.11n WiFi technology at 2.4GHz (Qualcom Atheros AR9344 – up to 300Mbps) and 5GHz (Qualcomm Atheros AR9580 – up to 450Mbps).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...mbps-ac-wifi-superhub-cable-router-leaks.html

I received the VMDG490 at the end of last week, the previous modem started showing the WiFi connection although the modem was always in modem-only mode, after a long conversation they agreed to send me this new one instead of a direct replacement, i was surprised to see its a NetGear model.

For anyone getting this model, be aware of the little OFF button directly under where the power connection is, you push it in to turn off, which can be done by mistake without realising :)

Speeds are good and solid on the 150 Service using it in modem mode connected up to a 3rd party router.

3916685893.png

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Spoke with VM and now have it down to £60.99 by changing the phone to just Talk Weekends. Previously it was Talk Weekends & Evenings, which I hadn't noticed and don't need due to not having a phone plugged in.

Regards

Is it more expensive to take 152Mb without line rental plus TV & Tivo?

Last edited:
Permabanned
List of price increases that are incoming :

* There will be a £1 increase on Virgin Media landlines but no changes to call plans or call connection fees. The voicemail service remains free alongside free calls to Virgin Mobiles and directory enquiries.

* Pre-paid annual Line Rental Saver will change to £164 (i.e. the equivalent of £13.66 per month, which is up sharply from just £12 today).

* Big Bundles are increasing by £3, except for Big Kahuna and Big Daddy which are increasing by £4.50 – this includes the line rental increase. These remain outstanding value compared to other competitor alternatives.

* Existing broadband-only customers whose prices changed on 1st October 2014 are unaffected.

Associate
Is it more expensive to take 152Mb without line rental plus TV & Tivo?

Hi,

From what I can see if you just take the 152Mb Broadband you can get this for £39.00 per month.

If however you add the XL TV Package without taking a line rental it jumps to £74.49 per month with a one off cost of £49.95.

Adding the M Phone package reduces the package (152Mb, XL TV + Tivo 500GB, M Phone) cost down to what I have now £60.99 with no one off cost of £49.95. However, if you're a new customer this is only £50.99 for the first 12 months.

Regards

Soldato
I think I'm due a phone call to retentions to see what I can wangle this time. What deals are people getting currently to give me something to aim at.

At the moment I have XXL BB, M TV, Evenings and weekends phone, TIVO, for £51.24 which includes line rental

Ta

Soldato
* Big Bundles are increasing by £3, except for Big Kahuna and Big Daddy which are increasing by £4.50 – this includes the line rental increase. These remain outstanding value compared to other competitor alternatives.

Oh, so they suck you in with a great deal, and then bang up the price ? Can't say I'm happy about that, I took out the Big Kahuna about 3 months ago I think.

Man of Honour

Oh, so they suck you in with a great deal, and then bang up the price ? Can't say I'm happy about that, I took out the Big Kahuna about 3 months ago I think.

How much are companies allowed to put the price up before it's deemed unfair and something a consumer could kick up a fuss and get out of contract?

Back
Top Bottom