m.2

Soldato
They go in a slot on your motherboard. That one uses a PCIE interface so should be faster than normal SATA SSDs. You can get M.2 drives that use SATA interface but they won't have the same performance as the PCIE drives. Probably cheaper though.

It can get a bit confusing as there are many different types of m.2 drive. They vary on drive length (40mm, 60mm, 80mm), and interface (SATA or PCIE), and the PCIE interface can vary on the number of lanes it uses (PCIE x1, x2, x4). Drives with PCI-E x4 interface will be the quickest, though OcUK don't have any I don't think. Only drive I've seen that uses PCIE x4 so far is a Samsung one.

Also using PCIE m.2 drives can have an effect upon the SLI/Crossfire options you can use as the m.2 drive will take PCIE lanes from the graphics cards.

Soldato
Its a PCIe SSD for Notebooks, ultrabooks and even some Macbook airs accept it. Some newer motherboards have a slot for it too since it can bypass sata 3 limits and get higher speeds apparently.

Depends what are you using it for?

Associate
And it's not the fastest M.2 drive as market is still being developed.
Look for Samsung XP941 and appropriate motherboard, like AsRock Z97 Extreme6 which features Ultra M.2 slot :)

Associate
OP
Associate
£155 for the m.2 caps at 750ish MB read and 600ish Write

£80 for 256g MX100 crucical SSD 500ish read and 350ish Write

Im building a Mini ITX so im considering m.2 only for less cables, in your case with that kinda Mobo, wait for the higher speed m.2s to come out, grab some SSD in raid 0 for now to get same if not better performance

Associate
They are, but unless you're really I/O latency sensitive (databases) you probably won't see much difference over a good SATA 3.0 SSD.

+1

Upgraded from a 2 years old 840 Pro, the benchmark shows it is definitely faster, but for a windows drive and applications, I don't notice any improvement over a 840 Pro.

Back
Top Bottom