***Hudl2***

Soldato
Anyone getting the charging problems? Ours won't charge until it's power cycled, so it's probably only seeing the 2 amp wall charger as a half amp USB until it gets reset. I'm hoping it's a software issue that can be fixed, else it's going to have to get returned.

Associate
Anyone getting the charging problems? Ours won't charge until it's power cycled, so it's probably only seeing the 2 amp wall charger as a half amp USB until it gets reset. I'm hoping it's a software issue that can be fixed, else it's going to have to get returned.

I saw the charging problem on my first HUDL2 where you needed to recycle. It still showed "Charging (AC)" rather than "Charging (USB)", so I don't think it was a 2 amp vs 0.5 amp issue unless it was reporting incorrectly as well.
Replacement has been fine but I see others have reported varying conclusions on hardware vs software issue. Try speaking to Tesco support, on mine they just issued a replacement approval reference as soon as I explained the issue, so it might be a known problem to them.

Soldato
I saw the charging problem on my first HUDL2 where you needed to recycle. It still showed "Charging (AC)" rather than "Charging (USB)", so I don't think it was a 2 amp vs 0.5 amp issue unless it was reporting incorrectly as well.
Replacement has been fine but I see others have reported varying conclusions on hardware vs software issue. Try speaking to Tesco support, on mine they just issued a replacement approval reference as soon as I explained the issue, so it might be a known problem to them.

And I presume you've not seen the issue since getting a replacement?

Soldato
I have now replaced the official Tesco screen protector with a (cheaper) Techgear clear one (they also do a matt one) I got off a large mail order site. Very impressed as the touch sensitivity seems as good as without one. Installation was as easy as these things ever are and it is a good fit.

Opted for the Techgear ones, following the post above - gotta say, they're brilliant - went on easy, and the touch sensitivity works flawlessly :D

Highly recommended to my fellow Hudl 2 users.

Soldato
Hi,

We have got our 2 boys these for Christmas. We briefly fired them up the other night to have a quick look and to get an idea of how to set them up ready for Christmas, however I'm a bit confused on the best way to do things...

1, We want to make use of the safety features, namely the time controls so the tablets can only be used in particular hours. Is this feature only available under a restricted child account

2, If we set up child accounts, it appears that these cannot access Email? Is this the case?

3, What is the best way to install games / apps for them? If we create restricted accounts, do we exit these, log on as the primary user and buy from the Google Play store?

4, If I buy a game for the 1st tablet, do I then have to pay again to install it on the 2nd?

It also seems that people are installing other apps and removing some of the Tesco stuff. Can someone summarise what is a good process?

Any tips appreciated!

Soldato
Hi,

We have got our 2 boys these for Christmas. We briefly fired them up the other night to have a quick look and to get an idea of how to set them up ready for Christmas, however I'm a bit confused on the best way to do things...

1, We want to make use of the safety features, namely the time controls so the tablets can only be used in particular hours. Is this feature only available under a restricted child account

2, If we set up child accounts, it appears that these cannot access Email? Is this the case?

3, What is the best way to install games / apps for them? If we create restricted accounts, do we exit these, log on as the primary user and buy from the Google Play store?

4, If I buy a game for the 1st tablet, do I then have to pay again to install it on the 2nd?

It also seems that people are installing other apps and removing some of the Tesco stuff. Can someone summarise what is a good process?

Any tips appreciated!
Anyone? :)

Soldato

I can't answer your questions exactly, but here's some idea, might be able to find specifics elsewhere:

1. Not sure.
2. Same as above, but there are apps that can either hide or lock apps - if rooted and running Xposed, something called MinMin Lock would allow you to pin protect apps.
3. Erm, you can probably guess what I'll say :D Never used the multiple user feature on any android device - so I guess your suggestion would work?
4. I think not, both devices would just sign in with your one Google account, so you can download from 'My Apps' in the store.

The process requires you to 'root' the device - a risky process that could turn your Hudl into an expensive paper weight. There's a guide out there, with some peoples accounts of how it went.

Rather than root, you could just install a different Launcher (Nova maybe) - then use that to hide the Tesco apps, and replace the Tesco launcher.

Soldato
Hi,

From a rudimentary rummage around setting up my daughters hudl, I think the answer is yes

Dunno

Install from primary account, enable it with the child safety app for the intended user.

Not if you buy it with the primary account and that is the primary account for both tablets.

No idea, not done it

Any tips appreciated!

Associate
Picked up one of theses for £114 yesterday to replace the other halfs ****** Tab 2 7" for Xmas.

Will spend a bit of time de-Tesco'ing it in advance though, I think.

Soldato
I can't answer your questions exactly, but here's some idea, might be able to find specifics elsewhere:

1. Not sure.
2. Same as above, but there are apps that can either hide or lock apps - if rooted and running Xposed, something called MinMin Lock would allow you to pin protect apps.
3. Erm, you can probably guess what I'll say :D Never used the multiple user feature on any android device - so I guess your suggestion would work?
4. I think not, both devices would just sign in with your one Google account, so you can download from 'My Apps' in the store.

The process requires you to 'root' the device - a risky process that could turn your Hudl into an expensive paper weight. There's a guide out there, with some peoples accounts of how it went.

Rather than root, you could just install a different Launcher (Nova maybe) - then use that to hide the Tesco apps, and replace the Tesco launcher.

See inline comments ^^^^
Thanks both. Will unbox them again before Christmas and give this all a go. I do hope email can be allowed on a restricted account though!

Back
Top Bottom