Dragon Age:inquisition

Soldato
Been looking at this game a lot recently, never played any of the others in the series, but a big RPG fan.

How does this compare to my fave game of ALL time Dragon's Dogma? Any similarities, cos from what I've seen it does remind me of it in places?

I do love the fantasy RPGs like Skyrim, Amalur etc and even more recently, Lords of the Fallen which was pretty cool. Would I enjoy this?

Caporegime
I do love the fantasy RPGs like Skyrim, Amalur etc and even more recently, Lords of the Fallen which was pretty cool. Would I enjoy this?

It's got dragons like Skyrim and even very similar themes to Amalur. I enjoyed both those and am enjoying this even more. So you should definitely get it.

I've never played Dragon's Dogma though. Is that like Skyrim and Amalur?

Associate
You know, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that as time goes on, when the dust settles and when people have completed it, and replayed it, and when DLC comes out.....this will be hailed as one of the greatest games ever made.

Calling it. Right now.

Associate
You know, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that as time goes on, when the dust settles and when people have completed it, and replayed it, and when DLC comes out.....this will be hailed as one of the greatest games ever made.

Calling it. Right now.

Bold 100th post. Congratulations mate :D

Soldato

Calling it. Right now.

I am a massive fan of this game but the way they've simplified the combat and the fact that half of the enemies just hop around and kill your squishies regardless of your tactics means I'm inclined to disagree.

That and the aforementioned rubbish menus regarding crafting and the inventory generally.

It's a very good 8.5 or 9/10 but I don't think it's that bracket at all.

Soldato
What party members / types are people taking with them?

First half I was taking a rogue (varic or sera) / tank (me) / tank (Cassandra or Blackwell ) / Mage

NOw in the latter stages of the game and rogue isn't cutting it anymore, keep getting killed off and doing little damage with bow.

Finding my self taking 3 tanks and a mage which is kind of boring. I end up controlling mage from a distance and letting tanks armour up with ability making them virtually indestructible unless outnumbered.

Soldato
I am rocking 2 tanks, Varric and a mage. The two ranged guys die a lot but without their AoE damage everything would take years to kill.

Soldato
Yea bull goes down too easy but does good damage, I have him using a two handed weapon.

Archer does virtually no damage and like a retard goes in guns blazing into combat and gets wiped out.

That ability were it gives you armour when you shout (cant remember what its called) has pretty much saved me during the last few fights with just me and the mage surviving. Don't even bother reviving the others now.

Just getting a bit repetitive after 80 hours with this strategy, it works but boring.

Ive got my mages all tuned to a certain type

Dorian - Fire + Barrier (ice armour)

Viv - Ice + Barrier (Fire armour) + shes got the rejuvenating spell

Solas - Electrical + Barrier (Mix armour)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a rogue and going invisible is brilliant. Cassandra tanks well and Viv is my awesome "Storm" (X-men!) mage. I am tossing between a DPS warrior like Iron (who keeps dying!!) and Blackwall as my other "Wall"...

Caporegime
Had a very quick dabble on multiplayer. It is indeed similar to Mass Effect 3 in terms of character progression but it also uses the crafting system from single player. Unfortunately I only had a few minutes as I lost contact with the DA servers. :( Will try again later.

One thing I didn't like though was playing with people who have already played so they ran off ahead before I had time to explore and the game drags you along with them if they progress to the next area.

Associate
I bought this yesterday and am, so far, not feeling it at all... I'm perhaps not the biggest RPG fan but I did love Skyrim to death, sinking 400+ hours into it since release on PC. The worse thing for me is the combat, which feels strangely unreal, disconnected and lacking any drama. The story is okay thus far, and the presentation is not bad... but, it does look and feel very last gen to me (TBH I think the graphics are pretty poor)... maybe I should have waited for Witcher3 to dip my toes back into RGP land.

Maybe its me, not the game.. but, most of the time I'm not sure what the hell I should be doing.

Soldato
I bought this yesterday and am, so far, not feeling it at all... I'm perhaps not the biggest RPG fan but I did love Skyrim to death, sinking 400+ hours into it since release on PC. The worse thing for me is the combat, which feels strangely unreal, disconnected and lacking any drama. The story is okay thus far, and the presentation is not bad... but, it does look and feel very last gen to me (TBH I think the graphics are pretty poor)... maybe I should have waited for Witcher3 to dip my toes back into RGP land.

Maybe its me, not the game.. but, most of the time I'm not sure what the hell I should be doing.

I agree about the visuals to some extent, my initial impressions were similar but have seen some really nice looking areas too.

For combat, i wasnt feeling it to start with but have started to get into it more and more now. I was never a fan on skyrim combat mind so cant speak for comparisons, just felt like blindly swinging a sword if i recall, its been a while though!

Back
Top Bottom