what F1 rules would you implament?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
exactly, people are living in the past. Sure V10 and V12s are great but turbo and hybrid are the way to go, and to be fair its made the racing far better.

See, I like the turbo-hybrid idea just fine. But I want to see them actually able to develop something, rather than being locked into building a V6 with a 90° bank angle (a lousy angle for a V6, introduces all sorts of vibrations). I wanna see inline-4s against V6s and V8s. Hell, maybe someone would be game enough to try out 10 or 12 cylinders in that package. Indeed, BRM made a 1.5 litre supercharged V16* back at the start of the World Championship era - it never won a title, but it did win races (albeit non-Championship ones, since the World Championship was running to F2 rules by the time they sorted it) and at least they were allowed to try.

I'd love to see the engine regs opened to allow different layouts and energy recovery opened right up. Give everyone a fuel limit in kilos that they have to stick to, and keep edging it down every few years.

An arms race over engines is far better than one over diffusers and flexible wings and other aerodynamic bull-**** that has no real-world (i.e. road car) relevance at all.

* - and it sounded glorious.....

Like a NASCAR stocker running on a mix of rocket fuel, moonshine and Redex :D

Caporegime
I steer clear of reading anything that the whiny **** has to say to be honest....;)

See, now I want you to read it as your response will be funny.

Ill give you the readers digest version... a single, standard across all engines ERS system (battery, control unit, MGUK, MGUH and turbo), but allow each manufacturer to make it's own ICE.... provided its a V6, 90 degree, and uses the exact same dimensions and restrictions as all other manufacturers, and gets frozen.

Apparently loads of makers will want to all build the same single spec engine for a formula where they will be penalized for success....

:rolleyes:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I don't get that, for several reasons.

1) Red Bull and their packaging - why would they want to hold themselves hostage to energy recovery systems that they haven't designed? That virtually guarantees that they'll have to compromise their aero package.
2) Why that engine layout, given that it's clear that Mercedes are well ahead of the game even before you get to the energy recovery side of things?
3) Why freeze it, since that'll guarantee that if you haven't caught up to Mercedes then you'll stay not caught up?
4) Why has someone not punched him very hard in the face yet?

Caporegime
I don't get that, for several reasons.

1) Red Bull and their packaging - why would they want to hold themselves hostage to energy recovery systems that they haven't designed? That virtually guarantees that they'll have to compromise their aero package.
2) Why that engine layout, given that it's clear that Mercedes are well ahead of the game even before you get to the energy recovery side of things?
3) Why freeze it, since that'll guarantee that if you haven't caught up to Mercedes then you'll stay not caught up?
4) Why has someone not punched him very hard in the face yet?

:D:p

This is only this weeks suggestion. Last weeks was to throw all these engines in the bin and switch to a twin turbo ICE format with a simplified (read: 2009 spec) KERS, from 2016.

A few weeks before that it was to bring back the V8's.

You genuinely have to ask yourself if he's auditioning for Bernies job... :rolleyes:

I think the best bit is the article stating Toto's thoughts. Aparently Horner is throwing these random ideas about because "Renault and Mercedes are threatening to leave F1". Toto has hit back stating that Mercedes, Renault, Honda and even Ferrari are fully committed to the current engines now, and that when Horner says "Renault", he actually means "Red Bull".

It all make sense when you realise its a team complaining because they aren't winning :p. Even Ferrari have shut up about the engines now, and they have had an abysmal season, team and engine wise.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What, by having everything that is currently not standard except for the ICE become a standard, the difference between engines would be minimal. The energy recovery and position of the turbo is in large part the main reasons the Merc engine is good, if the turbo were standard, it would have to fit all engines in the same place, thus all engines would have roughly the same design. Freezing everything so it has to work the same except ICE doesn't mean freezing the ICE... what minimal differences were happening with the ICE could be fixed over time but again they'd be marginal.

The only way for a turbo/energy parts to fit a Merc and Renault would be if both had say a split turbo with the turbo out front.

It would also reduce costs a lot if all three engines weren't developing those parts and if the ICE was pretty easy to get right and would take minimal improvements(because there would be minimal improvements to make) for several years.

Most of the idea's about engines are both to make sure RBR don't have any performance difference and for cost reasons to a degree.

As for energy recovery, better to have a reliable and higher power energy recovery system(or at least if it sucks it would suck for everyone) than have a slower car with better packaging.

If you presume the RBR had the best packaging and best aero by a decent margin(not convinced of that myself, certainly over the year Merc had great aero and it improved with visible shrinking around the rear end in a very RBR style), having a lack of power to Merc cost them any shot at the title. Same engine + worse aero and they would have had a shot at the title.

It's easy to see why Horner would want that, and for cost reasons it's easy to see why a lot of the smaller teams would want something similar.

It's worth remembering that after pretty much every race they have a meeting where everyone but Merc engine cars want a new engine AND the lower budget teams want a new engine with a lot of reduced costs.

I'm no fan of Horner but every week they are just coming up with idea's. You won't find a format everyone agrees on by sitting there not making suggestions and I'm not sure having a go at a guy making suggestions will get you anywhere. Of course he wants more power, but the groups are meeting every race in the past 6 months with probably 6-7 teams wanting to find a cheaper engine/better way to move forward.

Of all the things to get irked at him over, it's not coming up with random engine ideas till maybe everyone agrees on one. Ultimately lower costs for the bottom teams would help and more competitive engines would likely bring a bit more competition and I don't see that as a bad thing either.

Last edited:
Caporegime

But the thing everyone seems to keep forgetting is.. the current V6 turbo engines exist.

Changing to anything different will cost more than sticking with these. Spouting any drivel about "changing engines" in the same sentence as "cost cutting" is just hillariously short sighted. The money has been spent, its done.

Caporegime
But the thing everyone seems to keep forgetting is.. the current V6 turbo engines exist.

Changing to anything different will cost more than sticking with these. Spouting any drivel about "changing engines" in the same sentence as "cost cutting" is just hillariously short sighted. The money has been spent, its done.

And relaxing the freeze will cost even MORE money. I honestly believe there are two identical team principles and we just haven't noticed. Or a major case of Schizophrenia that's rampant throughout the F1 grid. Some weekends we get a story that the engines are very expensive and we need to do something to cut costs. Then the next day, even on the same weekend, we're getting stories about how the Engine development freeze is bad for the sport and both Renault and Ferrari want the rules relaxed. You couldn't make it up!

Back
Top Bottom