Hard drive passes tests but doesn't work

Associate
I have a Samsung HD204UI F4 2TB. It's not a drive that I boot to but it is used for storing files. It has been working fine since I got it. Just recently it stopped being listed as a drive in windows, a restart brought it back but without a label, it says Local Disk.

Clicking the disk for access gives the following error:
G:\ is not accessible.
The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

So I right click, go to do a scandisk/error checking and that says: The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk.

I tried with a USB Linux Mint to repair via gparted and fsck and both give errors, it also says the drive is not mounted, and when I try to mount it, I can't because of further errors.

I downloaded EaseUS Partition Recovery and that says "Dynamic disk, GPT disk and bad disk are not supported.

So I downloaded TestDisk and can recover some files, when trying to recover a folder it gave more errors than success and the outcome was not many files, but when I picked some files that it had failed to recover specifically, it was able to recover them.

I also of course downloaded SeaTools, did the S.M.A.R.T Check, Short Drive Self Test, Short Generic and Long Generic, all were fully successful, Long Generic took a few hours but it passed.

EaseUS Partition Master shows it as an NTFS GPT (Data Partition) with an unallocated 129 MB, also GPT. A full partition/surface check which took over 5 hours found 0 bad sectors. The partition recovery wizard doesn't even list that hard drive or partition as an option.

Seagate File Recovery appears to show all files but no option to simply repair the partition.

I have also tried another SATA cable, and motherboard port, made no difference. Hard drive was shipped with the latest firmware so that can't be updated.

Are there any good tools that I could use?

Caporegime
any important data on it? and did your pc crash and cause it?

I don't know what to suggest other than format it and see if the drive works then,but that means losing all your data on it

try assigning new drive letter to it in disk manager

Associate
passing smart tests but not readable windows..would incline me towards (intermittently) faulty power/cable..it only has to be faulty whilst the allocation table is being written for the filesystem to become corrupted...the cable / power may be ok again...

i would treat the disk an untrustworthy from the point of view of data storage...
possibly swap out power and data, fomrat and reuse for non critical files until a level of confidence returns..regularly viewing the system windows logs for evidence of problems with disk activity...

Soldato
Have you tried Easus data recovery? Trial it with the 1gb limit to see if it recovers the files and buy it if it works. Had good luck with it. Seems the hdd is good but somehow lost its filesystem, would look to data cable or port.

Associate
OP
It did have some important files, because my C drive was corrupt only 2 months earlier, that one didn't pass smart tests. so I backed it up to F. F was for some reason named G once it stopped working.

I was able to backup all the files I wanted using Seagate File Recovery for windows, no problems at all, EaseUS for some reason only showed a small number of files. and TestDisk gives errors when recovering files in bulk. I then reformatted it back to F.

Before it stopped working the drive would sometimes be accessible, when it wasn't usually a restart would fix it.

If problems persist I'll try changing the cables around.

Back
Top Bottom