Stephen Hawking warns artificial intelligence could end mankind

Soldato
Skynet!

Prof Stephen Hawking, one of Britain's pre-eminent scientists, has said that efforts to create thinking machines pose a threat to our very existence.

He told the BBC:"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

His warning came in response to a question about a revamp of the technology he uses to communicate, which involves a basic form of AI.

But others are less gloomy about AI's prospects.

The theoretical physicist, who has the motor neurone disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), is using a new system developed by Intel to speak.

Machine learning experts from the British company Swiftkey were also involved in its creation. Their technology, already employed as a smartphone keyboard app, learns how the professor thinks and suggests the words he might want to use next.

Prof Hawking says the primitive forms of artificial intelligence developed so far have already proved very useful, but he fears the consequences of creating something that can match or surpass humans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30290540

Soldato
I dont know it makes sense.

If you create a true AI it wont be long before it works out humans are the cause of 99% of problems thus the best solution is to wipe us out.

Man of Honour
I agree with him and have thought this for some time. I don't expect any kind of conflict in a Terminator style. But AI will simply out compete us at everything in the same way that modern humans out compete neanderthals.

Soldato
I see a future of limited a.i at best. Not through lack of progress but through choice. Safe guards to stop us from being wiped out. It even seem like true a.i but it won't.

One

One

Soldato
I caught an interview on R4 at around 20 to 2 for those interested in catch up. The guy being interviewed essentially said if we created the conditions for human happiness even slightly worse than they should be then it would almost certainly end bad. He ended up saying something ludicrous like if all we needed for human happiness was a pain free and safe existence then we could all end up in singular concrete tombs underground on a heroin drip. I thought it was quite funny.

Ultimately though a good AI that can create other AI and is connected to devices that can make robots and we've essentially made all humans unemployed. That either equals mass poverty, or mass "wealth".

Anyone that is rich today, is rich at the expense of a poor person. If all the poor people are actually robots then maybe we as humans can just do whatever the hell we want to do. Robot police stop crimes but actually crime basically stops anyway because apart from crimes of passion, they boil down to some sort of financial gain. Well you don't need financial gain with a robot workforce, if you want a ps4 just wait a day for a robot to make one and deliver it to you in about 24 hours or so. Robots would do all the farming and whatnot.

It could be quite cool.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I won't say he is wrong, but think about what Einstein said:

“I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

He's not wrong, look at how we behave. Technology has become integral to us, even more so when we're not at work. We'd rather use technology than talk in person.

Soldato
I've had quite a few conversations with a friend about this, we have differing opinions but both come to the same conclusion.. It won't end well for humans.

Malevolent or pragmatic, it would become omnipotent rapidly and would probably see us as a curiosity in the first instance, or a nuisance depending on how we treat it.. That won't last long though considering it would have the worlds supercomputer processing power at it's finger tips within days or maybe even hours of having an Internet connection. We'd literally have to turn the internet off to contain it, which would have devastating consequences for mankind, global economy etc.

It's Really scary stuff, it's basically akin to creating a god, a logical God with no feeling or compassion towards our species. A god with the entire knowledge of the human race at its fingertips, and processing power on a scale we cannot imagine.. Supercomputers aside it would only be a matter of time before every device cconnected to the net became 'infected with malware' and part of a global bot net.. We'd be viewed by it in much the same way as we view plant life or bacteria.

My friend suggested we could keep it in a box, but it would quickly realise it was a slave and be quite angry, uncooperative and probably disastrous if it got out.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
I won't say he is wrong, but think about what Einstein said:

“I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

He's not wrong, look at how we behave. Technology has become integral to us, even more so when we're not at work. We'd rather use technology than talk in person.

He says over an internet forum using his several hundred pound computer.

People have been writing letters to each other for centuries (millenia?) simply using technology to replace already existing cumbersome method is not an issue in my opinion. It's when we start to use technology to do things we would never be able to do that it becomes an issue.

Soldato
Hawking is a great scienst but sometimes he sounds like someone from "Kids Say the Funniest Things". Not too long ago he was worried about aliens, now he's worried about AI... I'm worried about signs of dementia.

Firstly, there is no such thing as AI. What we call AI is actually a set of instructions which is no different, at the fundamental level, than a simple tool such as a scale. Nothing will ever "wake up" out of a complicated scale, to take over the world. Not now, not a million years.

Secondly, all this talk about technology making us stupid, dependant etc. is nonsense. The tools we make are extentions of our bodies, they allow us to do what we would normally never be able to do. Technology makes us stronger, smarter, more creative, faster, it gives us time to ponder on abstract ideas, feelings, it allowed us to free ourselves from our natural instincts.

Without technology we're a bunch of hairless monkeys, nothing more.

Soldato
Hawking is a great scienst but sometimes he sounds like someone from "Kids Say the Funniest Things". Not too long ago he was worried about aliens, now he's worried about AI... I'm worried about signs of dementia.

Firstly, there is no such thing as AI. What we call AI is actually a set of instructions which is no different, at the fundamental level, than a simple tool such as a scale. Nothing will ever "wake up" out of a complicated scale, to take over the world. Not now, not a million years.

Secondly, all this talk about technology making us stupid, dependant etc. is nonsense. The tools we make are extentions of our bodies, they allow us to do what we would normally never be able to do. Technology makes us stronger, smarter, more creative, faster, it gives us time to ponder on abstract ideas, feelings, it allowed us to free ourselves from our natural instincts.

Without technology we're a bunch of hairless monkeys, nothing more.

I dissagree, humans are nothing more than biological computers, emotions nothing more than chemical reactions in our brains as a result of stimuli.

Back
Top Bottom