Auto Express / Evo Critic done for speeding

Soldato
Whilst it is true a performance vehicle feels very planted and comfortable at that speed, with eyes open, the closing speed on any object that is stationary feels extremely fast, and even on a car travelling at 70 you close on it at 60mph which is noticeably quick and very different from driving another vehicle at 70mph.
True, but with experience it ceases to 'feel' that way and instead the perception becomes just like driving at 70 MPH relative to stationary objects.. they are moving past, but you don't feel like you are in warp at all. You observe just like normal.
EDIT: It was a single carriageway with a 60 limit but at 12.45am that is gonna feel fast in any car and unlikely he could have stopped within his useful headlight range.
In a good car it won't feel fast if you are used to it.

Soldato
True, but with experience it ceases to 'feel' that way and instead the perception becomes just like driving at 70 MPH relative to stationary objects.. they are moving past, but you don't feel like you are in warp at all. You observe just like normal.In a good car it won't feel fast if you are used to it.

I disagree, closing speed always looks high especially if you are an experienced racer as that is often used to judge overtaking (speaking from experience). A racetrack feels slower as it is wider and is one huge wide lane with less to affect your peripheral vision.

Agree though in most cases it doesn't feel like a timewarp, at night with main beams it will feel like a tunnel.

All of this is irrelevant anyway, he clearly knew he was exceeding the speed limit considerably as he was blasting through the gears in a very high performance vehicle. You would have to be very dumb to think you were doing 60, he left that behind before he hit 3rd gear!

Soldato
I disagree, closing speed always looks high especially if you are an experienced racer as that is often used to judge overtaking (speaking from experience). A racetrack feels slower as it is wider and is one huge wide lane with less to affect your peripheral vision.

Agree though in most cases it doesn't feel like a timewarp, at night with main beams it will feel like a tunnel.

All of this is irrelevant anyway, he clearly knew he was exceeding the speed limit considerably as he was blasting through the gears in a very high performance vehicle. You would have to be very dumb to think you were doing 60, he left that behind before he hit 3rd gear!
I disagree with you based on perhaps more relevant experience i.e. not on a racetrack. At first it feels fast, then the difference in sensation from driving at 140 MPH and 70 MPH narrows dramatically. Things obviously approach faster, but the sense that they are approaching very quickly diminishes significantly.

I don't think anybody believes for a moment he "didn't realise" he was doing 127 MPH, just that the idea it's like holding on to a bucking bronco and it's a miracle the entire universe didn't implode is wrong. In a capable, high performance car 127 MPH doesn't take that long to arrive, and if you are used to it, doesn't feel that odd.

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree with you based on perhaps more relevant experience i.e. not on a racetrack. At first it feels fast, then the difference in sensation from driving at 140 MPH and 70 MPH narrows dramatically. Things obviously approach faster, but the sense that they are approaching very quickly diminishes significantly.

I don't think anybody believes for a moment he "didn't realise" he was doing 127 MPH, just that the idea it's like holding on to a bucking bronco and it's a miracle the entire universe didn't implode is wrong. In a capable, high performance car 127 MPH doesn't take that long to arrive, and if you are used to it, doesn't feel that odd.

If it doesn't feel fast visually then you are not fully aware of your surroundings or you have tunnel vision. Being used to doing that speed means it feels like that speed it just doesn't feel as fast as it once did.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I exceed that speed on a weekly basis, usually for up to 10 minutes at a time.

You have to be on the ball, but its not exactly dangerous.
You travel over 130mph on a weekly basis? Seems highly irresponsible unless you live in Australia or Germany.

I cruised at 120-130mph for hours coming back from Denmark last weekend, but the difference is that people expect that in Germany and get the **** out of your way.

They don't do that in the UK, so I'm sorry, but it is dangerous.

I'm no saint, but you can't call exceeding 130mph on a regular basis in the UK safe.

Soldato
“A man in a professional position like that should be setting an example, not acting like this.

Ah yes a good example, I love reading all those articles of motoring journslists driving safely :p

Failing to see what the story is though, man speeding got caught and will be fined/banned/prosecuted as appropriate.

Soldato
If it doesn't feel fast visually then you are not fully aware of your surroundings or you have tunnel vision. Being used to doing that speed means it feels like that speed it just doesn't feel as fast as it once did.
Surely you have contradicted your own point just there? You've just said that it DOES feel slower after you are used to it.
Being used to doing that speed
So, after some time of acquaintance with driving at e.g. 130 MPH
means it feels like that speed
130 MPH feels like 130 MPH
it just doesn't feel as fast as it once did.
..it feels faster than 130 MPH used to feel.

You're saying 130 MPH will first feel like X, then after it will feel like Y, and that X > Y in terms of speed sensation. Therefore, for your statement to be true, with experience travelling at 130 MPH must begin to feel like you are travelling at less than 130 MPH. This is exactly what I said. You are just trying to move the reference point and say that after experience, 130 MPH feels like 130 MPH - well OK, but then without experience 130 MPH feels like 200 MPH after experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never liked him anyway. Throw away the keys tbh :D

How long would it take a car of that performance to hit that speed? Can't imagine very long at all. Stupid? Yes. Should've known better? Absolutely. Unlucky? You bet!

Not really condoning the behaviour but a lot of us have probably seen speeds way in excess of the limits.

Soldato
Trouble is the law is the law, he should have known better truth be told.

I had a similar experience when I was about 18, and I have never ventured in to silly speeds ever again. The concern over potentially losing my license and thus living was not worth it.

Soldato
You travel over 130mph on a weekly basis? Seems highly irresponsible unless you live in Australia or Germany.

Where I live it doesn't feel highly irresponsible at all, I tend to do it at least twice a week. In fact, I was thinking of this thread when I did it today :p

Autoroutes here are extremely smooth and virtually empty, and 130MPH in a large saloon car like mine feels perfectly safe. I'd imagine a better car could maintain even higher speeds with no more risk. Even in England, I can think of several places (especially late at night) where it would also be perfectly safe, although I tend to not stray too far over 100 on a regular basis in England as I don't fancy the consequences of getting caught.

Associate

I cruised at 120-130mph for hours coming back from Denmark last weekend, but the difference is that people expect that in Germany and get the **** out of your way.

They don't do that in the UK, so I'm sorry, but it is dangerous.

I'm no saint, but you can't call exceeding 130mph on a regular basis in the UK safe.

Sorry, in Germany. :)

Seen people absolute fly down the M40 in the past at similar speeds though.

Caporegime
Whether you think it is safe or not is irrelevant. His job revolves around him having a licence so to be careless is his fault and no one else.

Everyone knows when driving that doing silly speeds is going to get you a instant ban so don't do it simple as.

Soldato
I exceed that speed on a weekly basis, usually for up to 10 minutes at a time.

You have to be on the ball, but its not exactly dangerous.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Not quite for as long mind :o as I'd pass my exit if I tried. :D
I've been driving like this for nearly 25 years. :o

Speed, at the right time and place is a total non issue.

The news media is just a bag of hot hair along with that incensed woman.

Last edited:
Associate
speed isnt dangerous, its the abrupt stop that is.

We watch videos all the time on youtube of road testers in supercars going what we know is above the speed limits on UK roads, look at evo mag videos, those lads wont be going slow down those single roads

Back
Top Bottom