LG 27MB85Z-B 27

Soldato
Congrats.

It will be good to hear what you think of it. :D

DPD reckon mine will be here within the hour, and it'l be set up straight away. Still have all fingers crossed for a good panel with no bleed and good colour/shadow detail, almost anything else regarding lag/overdrive or whatever I can live with.

Soldato
Arrived and set up. Haven't calibrated it yet, but have a few first impressions. I'll get the bad out of the way as it was the first thing I encountered setting it up, but the stand is BAD. I mean really, really bad. For what is a £550/£600 RRP monitor it's nothing short of shocking. The 27" AOC had a better stand, the 32" Acer has a much, much better stand. In fact I'm fairly sure with 15 minutes, the box it came in, a couple of sticks and some gaffa tape, I could make something better.

That aside, I'm very happy with the screen. Yes it glows, way less than the AOC, not as little as my Eizo, but importantly no bleed, no dead pixels, very good performance even before calibration. The little OSD touch buttons are quite nice too (even though it would be good to have some sort of indicator where they actually are, difficult locating them in a very dim room).

Importantly for £275 it's a ridiculous bargain. Add another £100 for an Ergotron and it's still a cracking deal. Much higher IQ than the AOC, I presume the BenQ too, with the ability to go higher with hardware calibration. I'd say it would be a push to heartily recommend it at full price, only because a monitor that much should really have a better stand, but as long as the image it displays is good that's really what counts.

Soldato
Good stuff.

I'll be calibrating it with my Getrag Macbeth, though LG IPS screens I've had in the past have been pretty well calibrated at the factory (as well as come with rubbish stands).

Associate
What's so bad about the stand? Mine seems OK

I don't like that the whole base rotates but I'm not every likely to be rotating it so its not going to actually bother me. The cable tidy on the back was a nice touch but can't actually fit many cables in it.

Loving the screen though, shows up my old Dell 2407. My only regret is only buying one of them and not 3 to replace all 3 of my previous screens.

Soldato
What's so bad about the stand? Mine seems OK

I don't like that the whole base rotates but I'm not every likely to be rotating it so its not going to actually bother me. The cable tidy on the back was a nice touch but can't actually fit many cables in it.

Loving the screen though, shows up my old Dell 2407. My only regret is only buying one of them and not 3 to replace all 3 of my previous screens.

Seriously? It's a piece of gutter pipe with a vesa mount :p It just flexes and bends. I think a monitor arm will be on order.

Agree on not ordering more though. At that price ordering at least 2 would have been a great idea.

Soldato
I figured out that I actually needed to use the dual-link DVI cable included with the display :p

Does anyone know of a way to stop the power LED from flashing when the screen is in standby mode? Oddly, you can turn the power LED off when the screen is on, but not when the screen is 'off'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got the monitor set up. Very good display, especially for the money.

A little bit of glow, as has already been said, but the colours are superb. Response times seem pretty good, too. Fired up Far Cry 3 and the colours compared to my old Samsung 245T (S-PVA 8-bit) are noticeably more vibrant. This is with both monitors hardware calibrated.

Not fussed about the stand. It has tilt / rotate / height adjust, which is all I need. I have an LG 23" IPS which wobbles every time I touch a key on the keyboard and has no adjustment.

Associate
Still haven't got a shipping notification... :mad:

Glad to hear the panels are good even if the stand is a bit rubbish. It complies to the vesa standard so getting a new one isn't out of the question.

OcUK Staff
Still haven't got a shipping notification... :mad:

Glad to hear the panels are good even if the stand is a bit rubbish. It complies to the vesa standard so getting a new one isn't out of the question.

You did not order via Amazon checkout by any chance did you?

OcUK Staff
HI there

Well our sales should or will be sending out an email explaining the issue.

In short Amazon checkout seems to have an issue or it is the way they work but the orders placed via it were not being assigned against the stock or showing on our systems internally.

So all the stock was pre-sold and allocated, but then when the stock for those orders came in the Amazon orders came down which there is no stock for, as they sold out. Supposedly an Amazon rule about not being able to take payments for pre-order items and as such not allocating against the pre-order stock.

LG have no more (we have asked) so the only options is a full refund and some free game codes or a list of other monitors we can offer at a loss to ourselves, all details will be going out in an email.

But in short it seems Amazon checkout does not work correctly with pre-order items, if we can't resolve or fix it for future orders then we shall have to cease using Amazon as this is clearly an issue that can cause major issues such as now. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Ahem, surely you should have processed the orders in order of order number?
Dear XXXX ,

This email is to acknowledge placement of order number OC1919XXX.
Order date and time: 27 Nov, 14, 6:08 pm.

Your order consisted of the following items:

So Gibbo, how many had you sold at 8 minutes past 6 as according to your post at 10:56 nearly 80 had been sold.

OcUK Staff
Ahem, surely you should have processed the orders in order of order number?
Dear XXXX ,

This email is to acknowledge placement of order number OC1919XXX.
Order date and time: 27 Nov, 14, 6:08 pm.

Your order consisted of the following items:

So Gibbo, how many had you sold at 8 minutes past 6 as according to your post at 10:56 nearly 80 had been sold.

If you read my post you will see orders placed by Amazon checkout were not being assigned against the product we had no visibility of them. Then when we shipped the orders out thinking we had 2-3 units left spare another 50 orders came from Amazon checkout.

Whether it's Amazon to blame or our internal system I do not know but our system was only assigning orders placed through our own checkout or PayPal, we had no visibility of the amazon orders.

All we can learn from this is in future we either find if this can be resolved or we stop accepting Amazon check out.

Associate
If you read my post you will see orders placed by Amazon checkout were not being assigned against the product we had no visibility of them. Then when we shipped the orders out thinking we had 2-3 units left spare another 50 orders came from Amazon checkout.

Whether it's Amazon to blame or our internal system I do not know but our system was only assigning orders placed through our own checkout or PayPal, we had no visibility of the amazon orders.

All we can learn from this is in future we either find if this can be resolved or we stop accepting Amazon check out.

So what you're saying is 50 or so people who ordered via amazon checkout are getting screwed for a mistake either you or Amazon made?

I'll withhold judgment until I see the list of alternatives you are offering but I'm sincerely hoping for an equivalently spec'd monitor at the same price.

Shouldn't have dropped £35 on a thunderbolt cable I no longer need :(

Back
Top Bottom