Which Asus router to get please?

Soldato
So I am looking at getting an Asus router to replace my superhub which is rubbish. Now I know the RT-N56U is a good router as I have seen it recommended on here but there are several that OCUK sell and am slightly confused which one to get!

I have the 150mb package on Virgin if that is of any help and was looking at this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-028-AS&groupid=46&catid=1596

But the slightly cheaper one seems to have better bandwidth?? Could someone link me to the best one on OCUK in the 60-80 pound range?

Thanks.

Don
Just so you know, the only thing that will fully saturate your bandwidth is wired connections. Wifi won't fully use up the whole connection unless you're real close to the router.

I like the Asus units, currently I've got the DSL version of the N56U, great performance from it and gigabit LAN too

Soldato
What exactly do you require of the router? If you're literally just looking at "the usual" (no VPN or other special features), then to be honest I'd look at getting the TP-Link Archer C7 instead. Slightly over budget but IIRC SmallNetBuilder rated its performance highly.

Soldato
OP
Sorry should have gone into more detail.

I have around 5 things on a wired connection, that includes my main PC and the lodgers PC which use most of the bandwidth. So I would like Qos to limit the lodgers PC and then we have like 10 things on wifi. Basically I am having a nightmare time with this superhub and would like to get a better router that actually works.

Steveocee the Asus router you linked to is that better than the one I linked to?

Soldato
Sorry should have gone into more detail.

I have around 5 things on a wired connection, that includes my main PC and the lodgers PC which use most of the bandwidth. So I would like Qos to limit the lodgers PC and then we have like 10 things on wifi. Basically I am having a nightmare time with this superhub and would like to get a better router that actually works.

Steveocee the Asus router you linked to is that better than the one I linked to?
QoS found in consumer routers is a WAN <> LAN thing at the router, not for bandwidth limitation inside the network (which is what you are looking for). For such a feature you'll probably need to use Tomato firmware, not sure of any others that support this. You'll not get this out of any firmware based on stock.

That also depends on whether that's the problem or not. On a 150Mbps connection you shouldn't have any problems with bandwidth no matter what you do (no problems on my connection that is less than half that). What exactly is the problem?

Back
Top Bottom