Can you fit a gas cooker yourself

Associate
I've been offered a second hand Smeg cooker for a really good price, but I don't fancy all that palaver of getting a Corgi plumber in to fit it, not to mention the cost (probably looking at £50-60). I've got all the necessary gas works already installed in my kitchen (i.e., the bayonet fitting plus a proper 'cooker' electrical socket), so could I realistically fit it myself?

Obviously I'm not trying to blow myself up here, but at the same time I don't want the hassle if it's as easy a job as it seems.

Soldato
Well of course you "can" (yes, yes it's illegal, I know) and it wouldn't be hard to do.

It's about whether you want to remain legal, and have the installation certified.

Soldato
No, it will be classed as a new installation (which it is) even though the appliance is not new. And as such would need to be fully tested (gas/site/safety devices/correct operation/ventilation etc.) Even more so as it's 2nd hand, and the risk of something not working correctly is greater. Not sure how fitting your own gas appliance affects your home insurance either.

If you were unplugging and plugging back the same appliance in the same location (exact) then that's acceptable, using the bayonet connector.

Either way, you can do what you like in your own home as long as you don't endanger others, apparently.

Mick

Soldato
tahl4m.jpg

Soldato
you can fit one if you understand how to check for carbon monoxide, if you know how to gas rate it, check for gas leaks at the meter, make sure its fitted properly..

Soldato
No only if it was a new run from the consumer unit. If you simply wired the cooker into an existing point on the wall then you're fine.

Personally I would double check the cable size in the wall and the wattage of the new cooker. Unlikely to be an issue but I've seen some pretty daft things before.

Associate
You can fit it yourself if you have a terminated point already in the kitchen and just need to attach the bayonet fitting. That is Legal! Its only hen you start playing with non terminated fittings where you need to be GAS Safe.

Man of Honour
You can fit it yourself if you have a terminated point already in the kitchen and just need to attach the bayonet fitting. That is Legal! Its only hen you start playing with non terminated fittings where you need to be GAS Safe.

Don't you have to ensure that no gas is leaking from the termination before reconnecting?

Soldato
you can fit one if you understand how to check for carbon monoxide, if you know how to gas rate it, check for gas leaks at the meter, make sure its fitted properly..

This. If you don't then pay to have it done properly.
And if you do have issues that you attempt to claim on your house insurance for, they'll almost certainly ask "when was the cooker fitted" and "where is your gas safe certificate".

Not worth it dude.

Soldato
Pretty sure I fitted my own in my old house. Was just a case of connecting up the hose. Can't see why that would need to be regulated.

E: from the regs;
http://www.hseni.gov.uk/l56_safety_in_the_installation_and_use_of_gas_systems_and_appliances.pdf
56. For the purpose of the definition of ‘work’, readily movable appliances include
appliances such as laboratory Bunsen burners and mobile barbecues, which are
readily portable. Other appliances, eg free-standing cookers connected by a flexible
hose, are not considered to be ‘readily movable’, but can be moved temporarily, eg
to clean the space they normally occupy; this type of activity is not regarded as
‘work’ within the meaning of these Regulations. (Where an appliance is connected
by means of a bayonet fitting, this will need to be disconnected before moving the
appliance – such a disconnection is also excluded from the definition of work, as is
the connection or reconnection of this type of fitting.)
If the fittings are already there, you can do it yourself

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
I've been offered a second hand Smeg cooker for a really good price, but I don't fancy all that palaver of getting a Corgi plumber in to fit it, not to mention the cost (probably looking at £50-60). I've got all the necessary gas works already installed in my kitchen (i.e., the bayonet fitting plus a proper 'cooker' electrical socket), so could I realistically fit it myself?

Obviously I'm not trying to blow myself up here, but at the same time I don't want the hassle if it's as easy a job as it seems.

Why for the sake of £50-60 would you even contemplate it if you're not qualified?

Back
Top Bottom