Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
Thanks for the diagram, BT I'm not going to bother reading the rest of it. Me asking, then stating I wouldn't actually do it does warrant your tone. I'm a total retard and cannot function in life, thank you very much.

I'll exit this thread.

Having seen other threads you have made and now this... I have fixed your post for you, Merry Christmas :D

Cyclone: I keep meaning to pop down to the Town park and fly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally i'm glad you posted those links, it's made me see that i need to practise and learn how to control my little Q4 before i look at going bigger and better.

2 things that will help massively, learn to fly going constantly forwards for a short while. Gets you into the habit of flying it like a copter so when you get out in the sky and it looks like a tiny black dot you'll still be able to bring it back to you.

Try manouvering it around whilst its pointing towards you, away from you, left and right. It gets your head around the "behind view only" way of thinking with regards to flying. Trying to fly with the quad sideways on is weeeeeiiiirrd haha

Soldato
I'm not actually the pleb that everyone now seems to think I am. I probably didn't explain myself properly and I don't intend on wreaking havoc over my town, maiming people whilst sitting having a cup of tea in my kitchen.

But anyway, let the bandwagon roll. ;)

Soldato
I'm not actually the pleb that everyone now seems to think I am. I probably didn't explain myself properly and I don't intend on wreaking havoc over my town, maiming people whilst sitting having a cup of tea in my kitchen.

Not many people intend to, but when people are ignorant accidents happen. I just think if you can't work out how to wire up ESC's then talking about preplanned flights across a town is somewhat wreckless. It's also punishable by hefty fines, which is what i tried to show you.

If you don't want to be taken as a pleb then don't put things like this, when people are trying to make sure you at least fly safely.

Thanks for the diagram, BT I'm not going to bother reading the rest of it.

Antex 18w soldering iron. 60/40 solder. Flux, Soldering iron holder. Perhaps tinner if you have never soldered before. Sponge and 'helping hands'

Learn on off cuts of wire.

See i never bother with the flux, never really had the benefits explained and from google it seems opinions are mixed about it so it's hard to decide. I use that soldering iron though and it certainly seems fine for the job. I use the antex 4m coil solder in the clear tube and helping hands/sponge as suggested.

EDIT: turns out i use the antex 30w iron.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cyclone - pushed the saturation a little and straighten - nothing else but still a nice picture
Nice. Ive removed the filter for now, I need to read up on a few things with filters.

Cyclone: I keep meaning to pop down to the Town park and fly.
You should, more space than where you fly. You have Latton Common not far as well. I might have to go up there some time.

Don
If you're buying a soldering iron for multicopter use then 50W is about where you want to be. If you start making larger craft you will need to solder fairly big battery connections and an 18W just won't cut it. Also the advice about the quality solder is spot on. I struggled for years with lead-free solder until my mate who's an electrical engineer popped round and, looked at it and then went and gave me some of his solder. It was like night and day. All the trouble I had had before just went and suddenly soldering became a breeze.

Associate
APm 2.5 ppm bricked

I need help, ive upgraded the apm 2.5 ppm encoder so it supptorts SBUS so a one wire connection to my frsky. The problem i have now when i go in to CLI terminal mode all i get is a load of jumbled text. If i connect to mission planner i keep getting PreArm : Alt disparity error messages. have i bricked up my APM

Permabanned
Someone decided too fly over Heathrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30369701

My FPV switch has arrived. She's tiny. I've not done anything else yet build wise due too starting my new job.

The cheap Gimbal I bought has broken. It no longer powers up. Seller has been crap so I opened a case. Tempted to buy a HD3-D for £243. £200 really as already spent £43 which I'll have a refund.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're buying a soldering iron for multicopter use then 50W is about where you want to be. If you start making larger craft you will need to solder fairly big battery connections and an 18W just won't cut it. Also the advice about the quality solder is spot on. I struggled for years with lead-free solder until my mate who's an electrical engineer popped round and, looked at it and then went and gave me some of his solder. It was like night and day. All the trouble I had had before just went and suddenly soldering became a breeze.

So what solder are you using?

Don
So what solder are you using?

60/40 stuff.

The cheap Gimbal I bought has broken. It no longer powers up. Seller has been crap so I opened a case. Tempted to buy a HD3-D for £243. £200 really as already spent £43 which I'll have a refund.

Do it. I struggled for ages with cheapo gimbals until I finally bit the bullet and bought a Zenmuse. The thing is, it just works... straight out of the box, no messing around.

Soldato
The thing is, it just works... straight out of the box, no messing around.

I have one but managed to bork it doing a software update (might not have been my fault but either way it's currently fubar :()

Am going to give fixing it a go again and if I can't do anything with it I'll buy another - it's that good that I'm willing to pay up for one again :cool:

Do let us know what it's like Freefaller - oh and pics are a must :D

Back
Top Bottom