First time cooking goose - slow roast or not?

Caporegime
Myself and a number of friends are having a christmas meal tomorrow and we've decided on goose. I picked a frozen one up this morning and it's currently defrosting.

There seem to be two options for cooking (this is for a 4.5kg goose), slow roast at 110 degrees for six hours or a more traditional 170 for just under three hours. Now, I'm tending towards the former option because slow roast meat is generally better in my experience but never having cooked goose before I'm wondering whether I should stick to the apparently more tried and tested method?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Associate
Goose cooks like duck I.e the breasts are best cooked separately to the legs . Personally I would take the crown off and roast the legs and the rest of the carcass skin side up at 150 for 3hrs. I would then up the temp to 180-200 and pan roast the crown to med rare (prob about 30 mins with a pre sear) then rest the lot for 30 mins in a warm oven uncovered (needs to be uncovered otherwise the skin can go soggy) before carving

Man of Honour
Goose cooks like duck I.e the breasts are best cooked separately to the legs . Personally I would take the crown off and roast the legs and the rest of the carcass skin side up at 150 for 3hrs. I would then up the temp to 180-200 and pan roast the crown to med rare (prob about 30 mins with a pre sear) then rest the lot for 30 mins in a warm oven uncovered (needs to be uncovered otherwise the skin can go soggy) before carving

This.

Like any poultry you're going to get the best results if you cook the breast and thigh/legs differently.

Alternatively, spatchcock it and then go for either of the methods described in the OP (bit more lazy but should still get good results).

Back
Top Bottom