Retro console and games thread

Associate
2w70oli.png

s3n30j.png

qrnsbk.png

Brings back some good memory's :D

Caporegime
Here's my Amstrad CPC 6128 + HxC + Stereo Output

It actually sounds better than the C64 through speakers, plus the sound coming out of the CPC gives it more treble :D

Associate
Why not just buy a SNES or NES? You still have to buy the original games, so why not use original hardware.

That wasn't really helpful to you ,i know. Just myself and most of the people here would always suggest original hardware over things like the retro duo, although i can certainly see the benefit of just one machine to do it all. They are far from perfect though and not all games may be supported etc. Neil79 did a review of one recently and the NES part didn't work at all.

P.S. I tried to type this without sounding like a condecending old git, it may not have come across that way though.

P.P.S. The Retron 5 does loads of systems and has hdmi out, i think they are hard to find though.

Soldato
If I had the console, I wouldn't want to use it! Fear of breaking something that's obviously in ever declining numbers. I guess the games are the same though.

I'm actually tempted to get some decent shelves up, and get old consoles (in good condition) with a controller up just for display.

Caporegime
So i know there are remakes of old consoles, like the RetroDuo that will play actual SNES/NES games.

Which one would be best to get? GF wants to get me one for my birthday :D

After further research and play testing, I wouldn't recommend the RetroDuo. If you have the money get the Retron. Or buy a SNES and later get the SD2SNES which we will be looking at next year :D ( All those games on SD )

Soldato
Caporegime
Wondering if someone can set my mind to rest here. I had a megadrive 2. It had black buttons on the console, not the red that I keep seeing and the start button on the controllers was white. Am I going mental?

Soldato
Wondering if someone can set my mind to rest here. I had a megadrive 2. It had black buttons on the console, not the red that I keep seeing and the start button on the controllers was white. Am I going mental?

There were various revisions of the controllers. The earlier ones had a white start button, but those were before the MD2 came out. It should have come with controllers with a red button, to match the consoles.

Are you sure it was not a Genesis 2 (US Megadrive 2)?

Those had black buttons on the console and all had white start buttons. There is no MD2 with black buttons on the console.

Associate
The earlier pads had white buttons for sure but i thought the ones with orange buttons were released with the model 2 Mega drive. As for having black buttons i'm not sure but i know the model 2 Genesis had black ones.

edit : beaten by Armadillo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom